text conversion : unix <--> mac

3co

Registered
Hello
I got a bit confused with all the file formats avaible with textedit.
Which text format does use macos9 applications, and which text format does use MacOsX applications ? . BBedit just offers 3 possibilities (mac unix dos), but it's the right one.
ps : I am french, so I may use sometimes é è ç ù à etc...

Thanks !

Which application are you using with your text files (SimpleText/TextEdit or AppleWorks, Word, etc) ? Do you need the ability to move files back and forth between Classic and X or just from Classic to X once ?

TextEdit for Mac OS X saves in RTF format by default, and it would surprise me that it wouldn't open SimpleText files.

I'm using "old" soft running under Classic (like mathematica or kaleidagraph) and other programms running under macosX (matlab excel...). I often swicth from one to the other and I use text tabulated files to save my data and to open them with another soft.
When I use textedit, or alpha or texshop, I have to choose the "type" of my text file between macOsroman, Unicode utf8, Unicode tf16 .... I have tried several of these type, but when I open with a soft running under classic, I have problem carriage return, or worst.

thanks

Back