Text files are gibberish after upgrade

Bellatrix

Registered
Hi there,

So now I've upgraded/reinstalled OSX from 10.3.9 to 10.4.11 (thanks to DeltaMac for help with my unmounted volume) and I'm bringing my data back onto my hard drive from my jump drive (since I had to erase the volume to install 10.4 on it). Many of my text files are showing up as gibberish when I try to open them in Terminal (using "vi") or TextEdit. I expect this has something to do with the jump drive, but I wanted to make sure it's not something to do with 10.4's Terminal behaving differently than in 10.3.9 . . . I use Unix quite a bit so would be amenable to using something other than vi if that's part of the problem and someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Bellatrix

Well this may sound funny but in the grand scheme of Apple Software Updates I tend to go for the "Combo" update that I have to download, when it comes to point Updates. What the difference? Well think of updating one point to the Combo's" update. Well with a "Combo" update replaces the file that is being updated. The Delta update (the regular point update) just 'updates' a file. Also with a "Combo" updates you can go strait from 10.4.0 to 10.4.11 just by downloading the full 10.4.11 Combo. The Combo will be larger but with the combo you know the update will "replace" the files, the delta will just "update" a file.

So run the 10.4.11 Combo and see if that helps.

I feel like a moron--sorry! I didn't get an email about this thread, and it was Christmas I guess so I just assumed my files were toast and didn't check back here. Maybe I did need to update the font cache or do the combo update--I would try that but I have another problem now (hence checking back on the site again after having given up). I'll post again if I fix my other problem and let you kind folks know about these suggestions.

Back