Text looks different in "Mail" and "TextEdit." Why??

Syncopator

Registered
When I use Lucida Grande, size 12, in TextEdit, and when I underline any text, the underline itself is "blurry" (which drives me nuts). But if I copy and paste that same text into Mail.app (same font), the underlines are clean and sharp! (See attached screenshots.)

I'm assuming this has something to do with anti-aliasing of text -- but why would two of Apple's own applications handle this differently? More importantly, is there a fix/workaround (in TextEdit)?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 7
Check TextEdit/Mail's preferences. TextEdit could be set for "Rich Text" when Mail is set for "Plain Text", or vise-versa.

Satcomer said:
Check TextEdit/Mail's preferences. TextEdit could be set for "Rich Text" when Mail is set for "Plain Text", or vise-versa.

Thanks for the great suggestion. I should have mentioned that I have TextEdit and Mail both set to Rich Text. Now -- even more -- you can see why this situation is such a mystery.

It would be helpful to know both OS and hardware... Apple was experiencing issues with font handling in 10.4.x on Intel hardware as I recall.

Also, is TextEdit displaying at 100%?

Thanks for the reply. Originally, I was on a 17" PowerBook G4. But I also just verified the same behavior on a Dual 2.7 G5. (No Intels, here.)

The 100% question is very interesting, though. How do I verify the percentage setting? A quick peek through TextEdit's menus didn't reveal it (but I may have overlooked it.) Where is that setting located?

Thanks.

Syncopator said:
The 100% question is very interesting, though. How do I verify the percentage setting? A quick peek through TextEdit's menus didn't reveal it (but I may have overlooked it.) Where is that setting located?
Bottom right hand corner of the document (in wrap to page mode).

I'm writing this in 10.2... but I'll take a look at 10.3 and 10.4, to see if I can recreate the issue with that font. Both of those apps use Apples Text Services so they should appear the same on screen. The fact that they don't seems quite odd indeed.

How does that same font act in Safari?

Originally Mail got it's HTML rendering from TextEdit before there was Safari, but now it uses Web Core (which started in 10.3 as I recall).

Back