Textedit Document No Longer Searchable -- Help!

bzb

Registered
Hello, all - I have a perplexing (to me) question. I am on a macbook pro w/ osx 10.9.5.

I have a document on my desktop which I have used, and added to from time to time, for a good 7 or 8 years which has a good deal of information in it that I refer to regularly. The way I use it is to open it with TextEdit, cmd-f to open search, type the search term I'm looking for, and then copy and paste information as needed. Works great, and has for a very long time.

I have no idea what I did, but suddenly the document is no longer searchable. And by that I mean, when I enter a search term, it shows '0' results for any search term. However, if I type any NEW information into this document, that data IS searchable. But all the previously entered older information is not. It's like I accidentally ticked a box that says 'make text invisible to spotlight'...

Oddly, when I copy-and-paste some of this older information (highlight--> cmd-c --> cmd v), it pastes in with a space between each letter, as if there were an invisible character between each character I was trying to copy-and-paste. This is just weird.

Other than this odd behavior, my mac appears to be working normally.

Has anyone ever seen behavior like this before? I have no idea how to troubleshoot a problem like this. I wouldn't be concerned except it's a document that I refer to in the ordinary course multiple times a day. I suppose I could simply re-type the entire document, but that's a time commitment (it's a long one . . .) if it's just something dumb I did.

Anyway, if you need additional data, ask away. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

bzb

Back