TextEdit question?

Chevron

Registered
Hi, this may seem like a simple question, but how do you "Find And Replace" case-sensitive text
in TextEdit? This is for MacOSX 10.7 Lion.

I can't find any case-sensitive options. So, when I try to replace text, all matches
are replaced. Case sensitivity is ignored.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks, I haven't tried it. I just wanted to know if TextEdit has case-sensitive search and replace
or not. If so, where the heck is it?

It's not in TextEdit. TextEdit is still pretty basic, and some types of features are rudimentary, or simply not there.
Use a word processor that has that built in.
One that's free is Bean - http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html
It is an app that is built on the same code as TextEdit, adding more features, but still a quick, simple app.

Text Wrangler - mentioned earlier, is another choice. There's at least a dozen major word processors, with varied sets of features. Some are free, others are not.

If you have Apple's iWork, then Pages has that capability, too.

Thanks, I understand that, but doing searches for this subject on Google shows some
dialog screenshots with case sensitive checkbox options in previous MacOSX versions.

If it doesn't exist anymore, I can only assume Apple removed it. I don't know why
they would dumb it down and make it less useful than even Windows Notepad.

text editors in my opnion (Notepad gedit, Text Edit) never have seems to be of much use other than taking quick notes that require no fancy fonts or anything

exactly so i dont see why youd want to use textedit to "Find And Replace" case-sensitive text seems beyond the abilities of any text editor more along the lines of a office program

text editors in my opnion (Notepad gedit, Text Edit) never have seems to be of much use other than taking quick notes that require no fancy fonts or anything

Yes, I understand that TextEdit/Notepad are basic text editing tools.

Search and Replace is a basic text editing function, so saying it's a fancy feature,
is somewhat of a stretch. I've been using it for years on MS Notepad.

If Apple removed it, then that was a mistake. I hope they don't dumb down the
entire operating system and make it into a iPad. Now, that's a stretch.

Thank you! I _knew_ they didn't simply remove that. Just verified it, it's still there like that in Mountain Lion DP1.

Just click on the magnifying glass icon (left of where you enter search text). A drop down menu will appear with search options - "Ignore Case".

Happy searching!

Thanks! I would have never clicked on it. It's small and grayed out, and on the opposite side
of all the other options. Anyway, great find!

Back