The *book buyer's dillema...

LOL --- the boss retired this week though :p
man... I wish I were making his money - 17" I would buy - yes I would ;)

17 would be fine if you were to use it as a home station. I think carrying it around would be a bit of a pain.

Randman that is why I am thinking more or less a 12" or maaaaaybe a 15"
I have a G3 at home now which I rarely see ;) - it's like the relative you see only on holidays LOL :p

Hehe, all my first three posts on this forum is related to pimping the 12" PB and I must say it rocks! I do have the Rev A one so the Rev B can only be better. They fixed the heatproblem (which I don´t really see as problem) and the Rev B also has DVI and a better graphics chipset.

As for the formfactor, the 12" is the right size if you want to carry it around a lot. 0.5-0.6 Kg may not seem like much but after carrying around for an hour or more you wish it wan´t there. You basically get all the features from the larger models except clockspeed (1 Ghz 512 kB cache is enough for most things anyway), memory (unless you´re a serious movie editor 1,25 GB will be enough as long as the rest of the machine keeps up) and resolution/screensize. The resolution is a bit of a turnoff sometimes and yes, sometimes 12" is slightly too small but i´ve done lighter photoshopping in without trouble and with general use, it´s not a problem.

I´d say go for the 12", you won´t be disappointed =)

COOOOL :D
Well, I think I have made up my mind ;)
Now I will just wait for MW in july (or is it june?) and I will start saving up money ;)

I had a 14 inch iBook and I loved the real estate. Then someone whom I still love spilled something on it and it shrunk! (I had the choice of a $600+ repair or moving to a 12 inch. I took the latter to avoid a month or more without machine.)

I thought I'd suffer, but in fact, I like the 12 inch better. The resolution is the same, so the same stuff fits on the screen. I can't watch dvd's on the run anymore, (lost the superdrive in the changeover) but wait... I never did that anyway!

I think I will go with the 12" powerbook, 512MB RAM, Superdrive with Airport Extreme and 80GB HD. I think that if I need more RAM I could always save up and buy some eventually.
There is a small chance of going with the 15" (same specs).

What do you guys think is better? the NVIDIA that is on the 12" or the ATI on the 15" ?

I would think that the 64MB ATi in the 15" would stomp the 32MB NVIDIA.

I'm having the same dilemma, and what it comes down to is portability vs. graphics power. If you intend on using the PowerBook for anything other than light computing around a campus or wherever, go with the 15". You'll be happier with the screen size and power of the 15". If portability is the main factor, go with the 12". That's going to make my decision for me.

Well... this is my big dillema...
The laptop will be my main machine for all (work, school, play, entertainment) but it will also be the thing that I carry around with me every single day to the office, then the the classroom, then back home (and next morning the cycle continues again) lol.

I looooove the 12" but I worry that graphics wise it will be a problem in the not-so-distant future :) the screen size is not the issue, it is the graphics card :)
I already have a display both at work and home to plug in as an extra monitor for the laptop when I do buy one :)

I have been reading about lawsuits concerning iBooks (which I am not getting) and about Macworld returning three 15" powerbooks that they had bought for testing purposed back to apple because of "problems".
\
What is the deal? is this a bad time to buy?

Yeah, I've been looking at that too, that seems to be connected to the shrinking of my iBook. Motherboard failure at 18 months.. yuck! I want to hear that they get it fixed and then break mine at 9 months. ;(

oh oh....
My track record with macs has been great thus far. Performa rocked (took it appart yesterday actually, now its gone forever :p), G3 still going strong, and I would hate to have a bad powerbook ruin my experience. I was planning on ordering something on wednesday this week...should I wait?

Definitely wait until after MWSF. You never know what they'll release, and as you all well know, if they bump the speed/features of any PowerBook or desktop, the price will remain relatively the same. Better safe than sorry.

You should wait a few days after MWSF, maybe a week, to make sure that anything Apple announces gets going smoothly.

Apple released the G4 iBooks fairly recently, very close to the date of MWSF, which is an indicator that something is coming. Whatever you do, definitely wait until Wednesday at the earliest.

I too was waiting for today's keynote before ordering my 15" PB.

Well now that the keynote has come and disappointed...there are murmurs amongst the crowd that apple might introduce/announce something on the 20th Anniversary (later this month) or even the Superbowl.

What a crock!

I guess I'm going to order my PB this week and pray there are no updates until next year with a G5 PB.

I ordered mine on thursday - it shipped and it coming on tuesday :)

15" PB with Airport extreme + Bluetooth
1.25Ghz
80GB HD
512MB RAM

I am so excited! DO you think I will get the newest iLife with garage band in it?

Back