The column view - love it or leave it?

Columns View - Your input

• Love it!

• Learning to live with it

• Hate it

• I never used Macs before osx so I don't know what the "classic view" is

Results are only viewable after voting.
Originally posted by habilis
... Clearly Apple isn't known for the abundance of options it gives to its users but couldn't they have included a "classic view" along with columns?

... And finally, Microsoft has had the columns view for the last 10 years along with the Classic OS9 style. Why are we stepping back in time? And why is Apple acting more and more like Microsoft, and Microsoft acting more and more like Apple?

Maybe I'm missing something here. What is "classic view"? I've been using the Mac OS for more than 15 years, but I'm not quite sure what your talking about. In the "Classic" Mac OS you had three options: Icons, Buttons and List. In Mac OS X you have three options: Columns, Icons and List. Does this mean you want the "Buttons" view back?

And as has been known by most and talked about at length many times, the "columns" view is not like Microsoft's Windows Explorer. It is not a copy of Microsoft's Windows Explorer. In fact, seeing as "columns" view originated at NeXT back in 1987 and NeXT is now part of Apple, Apple is not copying anything from anyone. They have the full right to use this view without having anyone trying to say they are copying from some other company... least of all Microsoft.

Columns have been a constant in every version of the NeXT OS (NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP), Rhapsody and every version of Mac OS X (including all the developer previews, even the ones before Aqua). Other than the two column view in open/save dialogs, no one is forcing you to use columns any more than you were force to use the classic "Buttons" view you seem to be missing. Both the "Icons" and "List" views still remain (actually, they were there in both the NeXT OS and Rhapsody also).

As for a third party coming up with "Buttons" view, I don't think there has really been enough of a demand for it.

well, i know i'm talking about the open and save dialogue boxes when i say i lke column view. i wouldn't use it for my HD windows for several reasons, just one being that i am more visually oriented. but like you pointed out RacerX, there are options to change for the HD view.

Originally posted by TommyWillB
(#3 is my quick attempt at visualizing this. I'm sure racerX could post us a real Rhaposody/Next screen grab to illustrate this better.)

It'll take me a while for the NeXT shot, I don't have any NeXT systems up and running right now.

Here is a few views from Rhapsody (it used an uncustomizable toolbar like Mac OS X PB had to some degree, I usually had that hidden):

Attachments

• rhapsody_filebrowsing.jpg
    rhapsody_filebrowsing.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 28
And here is a few views from Mac OS X DP2:

Attachments

• macosxdp2-filebrowsing.jpg
    macosxdp2-filebrowsing.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 20
huh. well I must have been absent on those days. I'm probably using the wrong terminology.

allow me to use this chart to illustrate;
versus.jpg

Originally posted by TommyWillB
Mention RacerX... and he instantly appears.

He must be like on of those "white lighters" on Charmed!

:D

My ears were burning... actually I was in the neighborhood and just thought I would stop in. ;)

allow me to use this chart to illustrate;
versus.jpg

But in your "classic" view you have a preview window. If you had the default two column view, the second column actually becomes just like that preview, doesn't it? Besides, the new dialog remembers the last few folders you went to, so you don't even need to navigate to them if you didn't want to. When doing work on a number of different images that need to go in a number of different places, this feature has saved me a ton of time... specially when the folders are no where near each other (like on different volumes), and navigating between them would require a number of steps.

No doubt the feature that remembers the last few folders you saved in is a greatly welcomed addition, but, well, maybe I'm just getting old or something because the layout is still confusing to me and sometimes it makes my eyes hurt to see any more then 2 columns open at once.

I just realized I'm a crotchety old man

Seriously though, I must say I'm astounded at the poll results, but at the same time happy about it because maybe I just need to give it more time before I like it.

but couldn't they have included a "classic view" along with columns?

Just hide the toolbar and you'll have "classic" view back. Double click on a folder and it will open in a new folder. Each window will remember its own view setting and open the same way each time. You might have some that open in column view, but once you change those back to icon view, they'll stay that way.

Chris

I love column view. Have always preferred the keyboard to the mouse wherever possible, and column view brings cascading menu functionality to the keyboard. How do I make it the DEFAULT?
but... managing graphic designers shows me that people who rely more on the interface to get along with software (right brainers?) prefer to click slowly away because they don't get lost or make as many mistakes (which wastes time). I think the column view provides loads of information about what you might be able to do next, but as is obvious in this discussion, if it doesn't help, don't use it.

...and why are apple and microsoft acting more like each other...because on some interface issues there is no point in being different if usability is sacrificed (eg content stays in same window when moving up/down a directory tree in list view)

Originally posted by maconmac
I love column view. Have always preferred the keyboard to the mouse wherever possible, and column view brings cascading menu functionality to the keyboard. How do I make it the DEFAULT?
but... managing graphic designers shows me that people who rely more on the interface to get along with software (right brainers?) prefer to click slowly away because they don't get lost or make as many mistakes (which wastes time). I think the column view provides loads of information about what you might be able to do next, but as is obvious in this discussion, if it doesn't help, don't use it.

...and why are apple and microsoft acting more like each other...because on some interface issues there is no point in being different if usability is sacrificed (eg content stays in same window when moving up/down a directory tree in list view)

...going into the Finder menu (next to the apple menu), select preferences, check/enable Open New Windows In Column View and almost done...

After, open all Finder windows that you use and change them into the Column View!

Done! :D

Can't live without column view. :D Sometimes I wish the G4's at school had OS X... The list view gets monotonous.

Originally posted by edX
well, i know i'm talking about the open and save dialogue boxes when i say i lke column view. i wouldn't use it for my HD windows for several reasons, just one being that i am more visually oriented. but like you pointed out RacerX, there are options to change for the HD view.

That's exactly how I feel about column view. I think it sucks for normal navigation (can't see 2 subdirectories of the same folder open at the same time with only 1 window open) but in Open and Save dialogs you don't need that. If you like column view, use it; if you don't, stop complaining!

Hate it in the open/save dialogs. Don't use it in the other cases since apple have allowed us options. I wish they'd give us the option for open/save. In fact, I bet they will eventually, they always cave in to their users in the end, even though it usually takes a long time...

Just thought I'd mention that DefaultFolderX makes dialog boxes' pop-up box act "classic" if you want and also adds a helpful little bar on the right to get you places quickly. The bar also lets you rename and delete files/folders while in dialog boxes. Something I really wish Apple would copy Windows on.
DefaultFoldersX.jpg

I don't like that I can't "type" my way through column view. Whenever I save something, I'm trying to type the file name in, then I want to tab to the column view, the type my way to a folder, hit "Command-Down", and keep going.

Obviously I'm used to OS 9. Is it possible to do use column view only with the keyboard?

Use the keyboard arrows. much easier than in 9, when it comes to looking through folders.

Yes, use the arrow keys to move left and right between columns. The up and down arrow keys move up and down within a column, or you can go straight to items in a column by typing the first few letters of their name.

Back