The command s not working

Levertyn

Registered
My mom bought an iMac in a pawn shop in SA some years back. When she bought it there was an admin account but no password plus a guest account that we use right now. The thing now is I want to reset the passwords but I can't. The computer didn't come with the disk and there is no way we can go back to SA. So please help I need to gain control of the computer

My mom bought an iMac in a pawn shop in SA some years back. When she bought it there was an admin account but no password plus a guest account that we use right now. The thing now is I want to reset the passwords but I can't. The computer didn't come with the disk and there is no way we can go back to SA. So please help I need to gain control of the computer
She was told to use the local administrator
If the Mac use a Mac OS that’s older try the g/re/p post on page 2 of the thread to see if that helps! That should reset the password!
I tried but the command s is not working.

Attachments

• IMG20201224090046.jpg
    IMG20201224090046.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG20201224090159.jpg
    IMG20201224090159.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG20201224090218.jpg
    IMG20201224090218.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 5
Can you tell us which iMac you have, and the version of OS X?
You can see both in the Apple menu/About this Mac.

Do you have an Apple keyboard (a command key and an Option key), or is it a Windows keyboard (with a Windows key, next to the alt key)

Can you tell us which iMac you have, and the version of OS X?
You can see both in the Apple menu/About this Mac.

Do you have an Apple keyboard (a command key and an Option key), or is it a Windows keyboard (with a Windows key, next to the alt key)
Its iMac 5.1 version 10.6.8
I use a Windows keyboard

Attachments

• IMG20201228092610.jpg
    IMG20201228092610.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
A Windows keyboard sometimes doesn't accept early boot keyboard shortcuts, or could work with different key combinations.
The Windows and Alt keys are usually reversed before the login screen or before getting to the desktop.
Try Windows-S. If that doesn't work, try Alt-S.
If neither of those work - try a different wired USB keyboard.

So, you don't know the password to either the "Estelle" or "Local Administrator" accounts?

Here's another link for changing password from single user mode. When it says to enter username, then you would enter the exact user account name that you want to change password. On that iMac, either Estelle, or Local Administrator. Doesn't matter which one, when you can log in to one admin account, then you will be able to change the password on the OTHER account, if you want to do that.
First challenge, is to boot to Single-user mode. hopefully, changing to a different key combo will do the trick.

Its iMac 5.1 version 10.6.8
I use a Windows keyboard

if you go into System Preferences, somewhere (I can’rptbremeberbthere is setting to show the keyboard pop-up or another pane to show your countries flag into you menu bar and launch the keyboard viewer from the drop-down! The when keyboard pop-up comes up you see what key pressure you typing on that display pop-up! This way you see what keys trigger what Mac OS X keys are pressed!

Haven't heard back from the OP - - but, he has a Windows keyboard, which doesn't necessarily show the same key responses at boot, compared to the same keys when logged in to desktop (and working with the keyboard viewer). Alt and command positions are usually reversed, for example. All you can really verify is that the keys work, and don't hang when released. And, not every windows keyboard will provide the proper keycodes until the system actually loads. Some windows (cheap "generic") keyboards are useless for boot commands. Most do work, but an older win keyboard may simply ignore bootup key combos.

Back