The demise of Delhi's deputy mayor

Rhisiart

Registered
You don't get to read a story like this too often in my neck of the woods.

It reminds me of Harold Holt, the Australian Prime Minister, who in 1967 was allegedly eaten by a Great White.

I wonder how many other countries have had one or more of their leading politicians slain by an animal or fish?

Is this the right link?

(Excerpt below...)

Baalu's tall claim ripped apart

Rajeev Ranjan Roy | New Delhi

Centre's report says only 15% progress on Setu project

Union Shipping Minister TR Baalu's claim that Sethusamudram project would be operational by November 2008 is at odds with the latest report of Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (S&PI), which says that the multi-crore project is far behind the schedule with registering only 15 per cent physical progress. ...

Ah, is this it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7055625.stm

Monkeys attack Delhi politician

The deputy mayor of the Indian capital Delhi has died a day after being attacked by a horde of wild monkeys.

SS Bajwa suffered serious head injuries when he fell from the first-floor terrace of his home on Saturday morning trying to fight off the monkeys.

The city has long struggled to counter its plague of monkeys, which invade government complexes and temples, snatch food and scare passers-by.

The High Court ordered the city to find an answer to the problem last year.

Solution elusive

One approach has been to train bands of larger, more ferocious langur monkeys to go after the smaller groups of Rhesus macaques.

The city has also employed monkey catchers to round them up so they can be moved to forests.

But the problem has persisted.

Culling is seen as unacceptable to devout Hindus, who revere the monkeys as a manifestation of the monkey god Hanuman, and often feed them bananas and peanuts.

Urban development around the city has also been blamed for destroying the monkeys' natural habitat.

Mr Bajwa, a member of the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), is survived by his wife and a son, according to the Press Trust of India news agency.

I've never heard moneys kill anybody before...... I forgot that the Hindu's god was like a money, weird.

I've never heard moneys kill anybody before...... I forgot that the Hindu's god was like a money, weird.
They've got other animals as gods: rat, snake, elephant etc.

I didn't like the monkeys when I visited India. It's bad enough having one of them trying to steal your food or pull you head off or something. However many carry 'La Rage'. Grim stuff.

Many of the new housing developments around cities create problems due to snakes (especially cobras) losing their natural habitat. They end up moving into your airing cupboard or the laundromat in your basement.

Pay back time in India? Pretty amazing story all the same.
How about Polar Bears charging into towns for garbage in Alaska. For example. Nothing new because all sorts of animals, when there is something to chomp on will come into town to see what's there. But Polar Bears? I fear, as man takes over more and more natural territory from our animal "friends" and the climate does what it is doing we should have a lot more of this. No? Hey, you guys know all that. Sorry.
PS. Monkeys are people too. Cheers Darwin.

Back