The fallout from the iPod nano

Ceroc Addict

Registered
I love the look of these new iPod nanos, but it's still interesting to reflect on the possible fallout:

1. There are no anodised aluminium iPods in the iPod line anymore (probably the opposite direction in which people expected Apple to go).

2. A whole bunch of iPod mini accessories are now obsolete (unless you buy one of the iPod minis still on the shelves) - esp. iTrip mini, AirClick mini, covers, etc..

3. Where do the manufacturers of the smaller harddrives sell their wares, without an iPod mini to put them into? - Apple's competition?

Kap

Don't forget the company that makes "colors"... without pink, green, etc... where are those colors going to be used?

;)

Those colours can be pretty expensive. I bought a print cartidge that only had three colours in it, and it was $45. Thats $15 for each colour.

Actually, I can just about see Hitachi and Toshiba moaning as they realise that they've invested all of their last year's revenue into building new production lines to get the edge on mini-hard-drives, only to find that their main customer has decided they don't need them anymore.

My guess is that once the mini harddrives get higher capacities, the "upper" iPod line would make use of them and become as small as the iPod mini was... Might take some time, though.

this is fantastic. the prospect of a completely flash-based hard drive market is arriving, at last. 4gb flash is good. very good. when it gets to 20gb, it will be very interesting.

with regards to the loss of the mini's accessory market, it looks as if they will all be converted to nano product pretty quickly. this is a must have thing. everyone will have one. progress causes casualties: serial, PS/2, Parallel, SCSI, floppy, zip are all dead now, or as good as, for example.

symphonix said:
...Actually, I can just about see Hitachi and Toshiba moaning as they realise that they've invested all of their last year's revenue into building new production lines to get the edge on mini-hard-drives, only to find that their main customer has decided they don't need them anymore.

I wouldnt say so because Apple would still use them for larger capacity iPods wouldn't they?

I truly hope that massive nano sales will help those NAND memory thingies to become cheaper, and maybe Samsung can create 8 GB sticks sooner or later. They're currently making up to 4 GB sticks, and ThinkSecret's rumour was that the "new iPod mini" would have two of those inside. But I guess they're also still quite costly, even if Apple has bought up Samsung's entire crop of a year - as told by news channels a couple of weeks ago.

Ceroc Addict said:
2. A whole bunch of iPod mini accessories are now obsolete (unless you buy one of the iPod minis still on the shelves) - esp. iTrip mini, AirClick mini, covers, etc..
Well, all except for the MILLIONS of iPod minis currently in use around the world... ;) That's still a big grouping of customers that want and need iPod mini accessories.

Just because a product isn't sold anymore does not make it "obsolete."
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=obsolete
"Obsolete" means no longer in use, not no longer sold.

It's the same reason people still buy and sell PC133 RAM -- even though you'd have a REALLY tough time finding a brand-new computer that uses PC133 RAM doesn't mean that there's not still a market for it or that it's obsolete.

Back