The faster browser is…

Ed... I think the developers define what's 'final' and what's not. And as far as I'm concerned, Mozilla 1.0 looks fine (with silk™ by unsanity). Of course it's still a bit of a monster, but not as bad as chimera. oh, and i consider netscape betas of mozilla, as whenever you can download a new netscape build, mozilla is already way ahead and doesn't include the AOL crap.

Originally posted by toast
Confirm by others ?
Just to see if that's general opinion.
Absolutely.. there is NOTHING faster..

however, speed doesn't mean squat if it can't render a page properly either.. so the question is pointless unless you ask "what is the fastest browser that renders pages correctly".

Originally posted by Tormente

Yeah! Let's all band together and bring back BBSs! :D

Um... ok why you all looking at me like that with blank stares? Oh common I'm not THAT old! Am I? LOL ;)
There are PLENTY of BBSes in operation still to this day.. most have migrated to telnet access though, rather than dialup access.. If you look, you'll find lists of BBS's running PC Board, Wildcat and such programs like the good old days.. and unlike what followed them (ie. usenet, web forums, etc.), typically have a much higher signal to noise ratio because it's populated mostly by dedicated, intelligent and mature members. :D

Originally posted by GrBear

Absolutely.. there is NOTHING faster..

however, speed doesn't mean squat if it can't render a page properly either.. so the question is pointless unless you ask "what is the fastest browser that renders pages correctly".
My point exactly. Judging a browser by speed alone is missing a lot.

I'm loyal to Opera. :)
I've tried most of the other browsers, at least the ones mentioned here, but I have found Opera to be the fastest. Not even Chimera can beat it. Opera also looks good, and draws the pages smooth and nicely.

Kris

You can considerably speed up iCab with the filtering preferences - just disable all image loading, and you're flying!

ive used each browser heavly... every one opera omniweb explor ect. but i just downloaded mozzila 1.0 today.... o-my-freaking-god.

seriously

mozzila is super fast.. super stable... and you can esly comstumize the interface....

i would HIGHLY RECOMEND MOZILLA!

IT IS THE BEST ONE! I USED TO BE HARDCORE OMNIWEB. NOW I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT.

Sure you can, it's a very old feature left over from the days of 14.4 (and pre) dial-up. ack when it actually took 5 full minutes to download an HTML page.

Graphics really slowed everybody down. So the option to turn them off was a very popular feature.

Some of my friends still browse that way, even though they are on cable modems.

well, the misconcept of MANY people is that with a fast line, a page full of picture is loading faster than a text only page. faster is faster, whatever line you're on. that's why EVEN TODAY i'm not glad when i see people designing websites with 200K+ flash navigations and the like.

I was going to avoid this debate, but oh well that's what these forums are for :D

I don't think there are too many people that DON'T realize graphics of any kind slow down the loading of a page. My mom, who at one point in her life actually thought she could get sick from an online virus, knows that pages load slower becuase of graphics. She knows this becuase they load in last and all the text pops up right away.

While you're correct fryke, in that 200K+ images and Flash movies are a slow down, does it really matter for about 70% of the sites out there?

What people are forgetting is that, while "text-only" pages started the internet, it wasn't long after that in which graphic intensive websites took over. These sites pushed the popularity of the internet. In the 14.4 days, simply putting more than one graphic on a page was considered "graphic intensive". Bandwidth increased, and so did the meaning of "graphic intesive" websites. You were lucky to get more than two clicks from a viewer of your site. But somehow through all that, "Graphic Intensive" websites were in demand.

So I find myself making a point that GrBear made earlier in his post. Speed isn't everything. For some of us, the interenet is about visual representation of information. A very art gallery framed in our 21" Trinitron monitors at home. How great is that?

While it's true that "faster is faster" I don't want the speed of my browser to be the ONLY consideration in using it. I want the buttons to look nice, I want the features and functionality, I want the ability to load interesting content on it, such as Flash, and I want the content load of each site to be relative to its subject matter. (it also helps if I can respect the company that produced the browser too... but I won't get into that).

I enjoy Flash, which is why I might be taking fryke's post a little too much to heart, but I reserve my supporting the program for another thread. :rolleyes:

That being said, I don't wish to ignore the speed issue either. Developers need to remember to keep speed in mind when servicing their clients. etc.

Links? You have to be kidding? That's not fast.

When I want real speed I just telnet to port 80 and issue the http request by hand. That's where the speed is baby.

:)

Vanguard

Back