The Full Story

nmm88

Registered
I just switched a couple of months ago, and am still very happy I did. At the time I thought that Apple was a big competetor to Microsoft. I thought i was part of a "revolution of sorts" of people wanting to stop MS. However as I have read around in this forum (which I do often), I get the feeling that Apple is just more of an alternative and not necessarily going after every PC user out there.

Correct me if im wrong on any of this, Im new to it all. I would just like some input and opinions about this general topic and what Apples stance is, and what you think is going to happen in the future. I personally would like to see Apples marketshare (or whatever you call it) jump up past single digits.

I used to think that way since I switched in 2001. However, now I'm starting to dig that we're a cult and that we'll always have ridiculously great products in both software and hardware. Yes, it's frustrating that the majority is ignorant to how great Apple is. Perhaps we should appreciate our status since the outside world, the people who don't get it and don't think different, are the ones who would corrupt our world and piss us off if they were to enter it, kinda like they do when they argue about macs in ignorance. I mean, look at how disgusting the windows world is (the viruses, the lack of security, the horrible operating system, the lack of design and culture, the copying of apple's original ideas). As long as we remain the close knit group of loyalists that we are, no matter how long you've been a mac fan, we'll survive just fine. And on that note I'd like to point out that now more than ever possible is a great time to be in the club! :)

Agreed - We are a minority, but keep in mind that the very best of anything (computers, cars, refrigerators, TVs) is rarely the best selling. Consumers are motivated by price and if they don't see (or understand) an advantage, they won't pay extra. $499 Gateways and Dells will always outsell the eMac/iMac, but who cares?

Instead of looking at market share, look at profitability and installed base. There are 25+ million of us, and that base is growing. What is the installed base of IBM's AIX? or Sun's Solaris? Apple MacOS X is the #1 Unix on the planet.

Apple is one of the very few computer companies making money. They have sales of 7-8 Billion each year, they have Zero debt., and they have 4.5 Billion in the bank.

Slowly but surely, people are waking up. They are fed up with Windows and they are not ready for Linux. MacOS X is the perfect blend of ease of use and Unix power. In the past when I recommended Macs to friends and family, they would not take it seriously. Now, they are - in fact, I have many who have already switched.

I suggest that every Mac user recommend Apple to friends and family when they need new computers. No pressure - just a suggestion to compare before buying.

As the most computer savvy member of my family (and that is not saying much), the Apple recomendation has been mine to make since 1988 - friends too. In my family, all but my father listen to me, and when he has computer trouble, I simply refuse to help him. I know it is harsh, but it is never ending. I tell all family and friends that now when they ask for computer help - "I think you should get a Mac, and if you do I'd be glad to help you, but if you get a Windows machine, I won't help you WHEN you have problems."

That is, to a tee, EXACTLY my situation. My ignorant brother always screamed about his Windows machine and I refused to help him and we would get into big fights. He finally got an iBook and he has questions only because he doesn't know how to use things right away, but things are much better now. :)

Here is the Mac usage in my immediate family:

Me (powerbook G4 12")
My Wife (iBook 14")
My Sister (PowerMac G4)
My Brother in Law (Powerbook G4 15")
My Father (G4 Cube)
My Mother in Law (eMac)
My Father in Law (Beige G3)
My Cousin (G4 Cube)
My Niece (Beige G3)

Some are long time Mac users, others just switched. None are Graphics professionals - the Macs run Office, iLife, Games, Internet, etc.

TWRayer said:
Here is the Mac usage in my immediate family:

Me (powerbook G4 12")
My Wife (iBook 14")
My Sister (PowerMac G4)
My Brother in Law (Powerbook G4 15")
My Father (G4 Cube)
My Mother in Law (eMac)
My Father in Law (Beige G3)
My Cousin (G4 Cube)
My Niece (Beige G3)

Some are long time Mac users, others just switched. None are Graphics professionals - the Macs run Office, iLife, Games, Internet, etc.

WOW! It looks like with a small investment in broadband (across the family tree) and iSights and you'll save a lot of phone bill money.

I'm like Karavite. Besides my cousin whom has a MS in CS/Robotics, I'm the only one in the family with much computer knowledge. I only let my family buy Macs. If they buy something else, I tell them they can get their own help. My mom has enough stupid questions with the Mac, I can't imagine what it would be like with Windows going haywire all the time. Two years ago my sister was going to replace her G3 Powerbook with a Dell. I told her no way. She bought an iBook and told me recently that she was happy she got it. A) It's cute and B)"My friend bought a Dell, and she has all kinds of virus problems" An astute observation from someone who knows very little about computers. Even the aforementioned cousin with the CS/Robotics degree likes the feature set/price point of the iBooks so much, he bought one just to run Linux. I have no problem being one of the few, one of the proud. My first response at work when there is a Wintel problem, "Shoulda' bought a Mac."

Back