the good ol' cartoon shows...

octane

I have issues, OK!
They just don't make 'em like they used to. Here's a list [not exhaustive, of course] of the cartoon shows I _loved_ as a kid:

- Jase and Wheeled Warriors
- Inspector Gadget
- Thundercats
- Dungeons & Dragons
- Danger Mouse
- Dogtanian & the three Muskahounds
- Ulysses 31
- Sports Billy

There's more, but I just can't remember their names -- maybe _you_ could help me out?..

octane said:
They just don't make 'em like they used to. Here's a list [not exhaustive, of course] of the cartoon shows I _loved_ as a kid:

- Jase and Wheeled Warriors
- Inspector Gadget
- Thundercats
- Dungeons & Dragons
- Danger Mouse
- Dogtanian & the three Muskahounds
- Ulysses 31
- Sports Billy

There's more, but I just can't remember their names -- maybe _you_ could help me out?..

what about tom & jerry? soo good, even though i don't know how old they are. Inspector gadget was great, garfield, muppet babies...all classics

where's teenage mutant ninja turtles??? dogtanion kicks arse, and it's very strange we had this exact discussion in the office last week.

Well me and my mates were on about this last night.

One of the lads couldn't remember any of them, being only 23, he's a little young for most of those on my list.

Keep 'em coming!

What about some screen shots for little added visual nostalgia?!.

'only' 23, Im only 19 and knew half of them (my boss is 25). Obviously this will need more discussion tomorrow

Ren and Stimpy was my all time favorite followed closely by Rocko's Modern Life....ahhh the good old days. I'm 19.

ren-n-stimpy_fn.gif

ooooh man rocko's modern life!!!

how i miss that show, what kind of animal was rocko again? i can't remember!

pfff. Old cartoons. You call those old?

In my prime toon-watchin years (the mid-to-late 1970s) we had some real crapola.

This was when ACT was in full swing (Action For Children's Television) and the toons were sanitized to death.

This led to insipid stuff like:

The Smurfs
endless Scooby-Doo
Speed Buggy
Jabberjaw
An animated version of "I Dream Of Jeannie"
Laugh-A-Lympics (Teams of Hanna-Barbera toons in absurd sporting events)
Captain Caveman
Hong-Kong Phooey (A bumbling kung-fu superhero, who happens to be a talking dog in an otherwise human-populated world)

Even the 1970s "Superfriends" was sanitized: It was a superhero show that never showed the heros & villians fighting. They could NOT show heroes and villians punching one another, or shooting each other, nor anything else that lil kids might imitate. The stories basically consisted of (1) the bad guys putting innocent bystanders in jeopardy (2) heroes rescuing bystanders and then (3) heroes GENTLY capturing villains without hurting them in any way. It was lame.

I think for the sake of brianleahy, we ought all have a big group hug.

I sense a lot of pre-teen angst still within him...

Yep, if you don't let the kids physically harm each other, it'll only lead to problems later on in life.

CAPPPTTTAIIINN CAAAAAAVVVEEMAAANN!

;-) Thanks everyone. Now I'm all choked up... sniff...

Actually I'm jealous of some of the newer toons. I'd have given my right arm for today's Batman Adventures, or Justice Leauge.

I actually most looked forward to the School House Rock segments they'd show between Saturday morning programs. Those and the old Loony Toons they'd still show from time to time...

I actually think the whole toons/violence link is a lot more complex than people say. In the **original** Popeye cartoons - which date to the 1920s and 1930s - each and every episode ended in a fist-fight between Popeye and Bluto. Yet you never heard of Columbine-style incidents back then.

Of course, first Bluto spends the first 4/5 of the toon EARNING his butt-kicking, with Popeye repeatedly turning the other cheek and only fighting back at the very end. Maybe that's what made all the difference...

ok.

Transformers
Gi Joe
The Mighty Orbots
Voltron
Spiderman and His Amazing Friends
He-Man (even though the new one is 10X better and not near as gay)

Just some of my classics.

Back