The Incredible Machine

Powerbook, the newest model. It is thin, light, weightless, slightly heaver, light in weight, and it looks sexy.....

Originally posted by scruffy
I like the Cube on principle, but they would be coolest on a bare, nearly empty desk, maybe with a glass tabletop.

In a room with a cream-colored couch, and a glass of chardonnay off to the side?

Heh.

Personally, I'd also like to see an updated 20th anniversary mac (without the 10k pricetag though). That monitor was spiffy.

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~
Fryke .... Are u sure 320Mb? Some places do actually quote you can add a 512Mb to the base 64mb ... i would be quite interesting in a Clamshell iBook if i could go past 320mb, and get 1024*768 Res! You're right, 800*600 would drive me crazy ... well, 1024*768 does now ... but i could deal with that "at a push"

Are there any other things to take note of, with these iBooks? You mention weight, are we looking @ a LOT more than the current iCeBooks?
NeYo

Oh, seems I'm wrong and there might be a slight possibility that you could actually upgrade it to 640. However: We ARE talking 800*600, and there's no way you're gonna fit a different LCD panel into it without serious help from a computer maker. ;-) ... About the weight: 6.6 lbs for the original iBook, 4.9 lbs for the iceBooks.

Also: If you're gonna mainly write on the thing, I wouldn't get too much RAM... Jaguar is running fine with 320 MB for sure. I had a blueberry iBook before my TiBook (before my new iBook) and was writing on the baby on Mac OS X Public Beta with 64 MB RAM in TextEdit. Sure: That was no machine for using Classic or any big apps, but it was running the Terminal and TextEdit just fine along with the Dock and the Finder. ;-) Also: OmniWeb and Mail.

I'd have to say my favorite old mac that I'd like to upgrade was the LC... A cool machine, easy to upgrade, easy to work on, just deadly slow...

;)

Oh, and what about Dark Castle?

Still have Dark Castle on a CD here :) If you want old games, Railroad Tycoon 1, Creepy Castle, Diamonds, Tristan, Hellcats, Shadowgate, ...

...hmmm! Thanks for the info guys! .. Interesting! ... My Cube Jus Messed up on me ... i think the GF2mx in there was pulled from a PowerMac, the Heatsink is pathetic! ... it won't even boot now, it totally messes up, booting from the Grey Screen, with that animated circular thing, it halts as it attempts to flick to the X Screen :( ... i've got a GF3 ADC in the states, jus gotta wait for shipping and all! ....

As for the iBook, hmmmm.... i am very interested, the 800*600 is my only Gripe ... hmmm... i will have to think about that one! ... i still don't *need* a laptop, and i know i could probably get another low end IceBook ... but i like the original design ... and i have been deprieved of a funky CRT iMac as a child too!! :p

NeYo

Take a clamshell, use the whole of the lid to mount a 14 inch screen with full resolution and more vRam. (this 800X600 with 4 megs of vRam is now my main gripe) Ramp up the RAM to a gig, the hd to 80 and add a few more connections (video and firewire).

Toss in a g4 (or better yet a g5) and a super drive.

toss in some complimentary stock options:D

"Ah, but a man's reach should ever excede his grasp." (Browning)

Back