The MacBook is out

I concur, shame the same thing can't be done with that graphics chip!

I can't see a lot of people splashing out that extra £130 for the black model when all you seem to get is an extra 20-gigs hard-drive space, especially when it's that easy to upgrade the hard-drive yourself.

I want one. Too bad I'm $900 short.
Guess I'll be stuck with my 12" G3 until Adobe releases the universal CS package. Or, at least, until I get $900. :D

Does anybody own one yet???... there are some things ill like to know..
does the macbook has a heating issue, like the mbp?? whinning cpu?does the white macbook also has a flaky cover as the black one?.. i know is not a gamer machine, but does it play any 3d game at all?? like cod or quake3 or 4? is the glossy screen that terrible? how faster does it feel... etc etc etc

One of my friends got the base MacBook. It was much cooler than my MBP. It was deathly quiet. The only noise it made was when you took it out of sleep mode when it initialized the CD drive. I've heard that it playes Quake 3 well, but starts to choke when you get into Quake 4 and the like. Since I've returned the MBP for a refund (it had way too many problems), I may get a MacBook. It was a nice machine. The Glossy screen was not reflective when looking straight at it. It was also considerably brighter than my iBook G3 800. The general os/app speed was the same as the MBP.

Joshua

nice!!! i own an ibook g4 and im looking forward to test drive a macbook, to see if I make the change. Its seems to me that, the ibook had better quality in the components inside (now they are all intel, dont they?).. so im not completely sure of the change, but the macbook looks like a very good machine/price computer. Correct me if am wrong, but does all the inside components (logic board, ethernet, usb, firewire, sound board, etc) are actually intel..?

For the most part, the internal components are designed in collaboration with Intel (to make sure that the hardware works right with OS X....Steve wouldn't want any compatibility issues that the PC guys are going through... :D).

I think Apple blew it by not having better video card support. Students are a big audience for this machine and like it or not, they're going to want to play games, even if it means booting to XP. The MacBook should at least be able to play games reasonably well.

And it will, but you can't expect it to play BF2 or QUake 4 or something that super-graphics intensive. Besides, that's not what it's meant for. PC laptops that have their own discrete graphics chipset and can handle graphics intensive games are still way more expensive than those that are comparable with the MacBook. If you want something with discreete graphics, then you're better off going with a low end MacBook Pro.

I want the MacBook Pro's internals, inside a MacBook's shell, with no iSight...

Anyone with me? :D

I'm giving up on Mac gaming and going with an XBox 360. That way I can buy cheaper Macs. I'm looking forward to Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, the new Splinter Cell, etc.

Who knows, maybe someone will hack OS X onto the Xbox 360. That would be a really cheap Mac -- at 3 GHZ * 3!

Doug

Grr... Still have to wait until a particular project's money comes in. More than a week to go. But then, then I'll buy it. I'm looking forward to test it outside in direct sunlight. Looking forward to test the keyboard. Looking forward to finally being able to rant about Rosetta's lack of performance. ;) ...

Jason said:
I want the MacBook Pro's internals, inside a MacBook's shell, with no iSight...

Anyone with me? :D
Yes. Actually, what I'd really like see is a bare-bones, upgradeable MacBook (and also Mac Mini). No iSight, no standard Bluetooth, no Airport (not the Mini, anyway), and yes, no graphics card. But I want the ability to install my own graphics card later if I so choose.

Honestly, I think I'd be pretty happy with the integrated graphics today. It supports Core Image, it supports good resolutions, and I'm not big on 3D gaming on my computer. So I wouldn't want to pay for a 256MB ATI card. But I'll bet the integrated graphics will seem too weak in a year, after Leopard is out. Just a guess. (My G4 Mac Mini's ATI card seemed fine when I bought it....but then Tiger came out, and now I'm missing out on all sorts of cool things.)

Do any of Apple's current machines have upgradeable graphics cards (besides the Power Mac G5)? If they do, Apple sure is quiet about it.

By the way, Apple opened a new store on 5th Avenue in New York this Friday. I was there, and I played around with the MacBooks. It's hard to comment on the keyboard, since I typically need to use input devices for a full week before I can form a real opinion, but from the little time I spent with it, I like it. I always hated the old iBook keyboards, and the MacBook is different. It feels more like a desktop keyboard to me.

The glossy screens looked great, although I still haven't gotten up close and personal with one outdoors.

And they're fast. They seem to eat right through HD video. *droool*

I expect to buy one sometime soon. I'm going to buy the basic 2.0Ghz white MiBook (see what I did there?) and order a 1GB RAM stick from Crucial, sell one of the 256s and put the 1GB in its place. I'm also going to sell the 60GB HD and buy a 100GB/120GB.

Along with a student discount I should save a fair bit.

Mikuro said:
It's hard to comment on the keyboard, since I typically need to use input devices for a full week before I can form a real opinion, but from the little time I spent with it, I like it. I always hated the old iBook keyboards, and the MacBook is different. It feels more like a desktop keyboard to me.
Aw, shit. :/ This probably means that my writing speed would slow down by 5-10%. I hope it does not or there's some way to make the keys go down more lightly, maybe by using a hammer on them once, so they don't come back up completely. Just kidding about that measure, of course. But I truly hope that it's not as bad as you describe it. Desktop keyboards basically suck ever since the Apple Extended Keboard II was discontinued.

My husband says the keyboard is nice - and I do trust him on that. Extensive testing on my unit has been on from Tuesday, when those Macs got out. He says it's nice, and he types fast as usual, and with less typos.
I'll post my own opinions when I'll be using my computer :D

So Gia when did you get hitched. I must have missed the wedding announcement. At least I could have made a joke about hääyöaie or some such thing ;-)

Congratulations!

Back