The Music Thread!

Here's a good one for ya!

Richard James (Aphex Twin) used to drive round Islington (trendy suburb of North London) in a US Sherman tank!!

Also, an illustrator I used to work with lived next door to his flat. He was mighty 'annoyed' that at 3am every night for about 3 months, AT would work on one of his most horrendous tracks, very loud.

We told him to go 'n complain, his answer was simple... 'you can't, it's Aphex Twin, the guy is a genius!':D

Valrus do you have Kid A? It's a brilliant album, took me like 5 plays through to appreciate it, but now it's great.

Originally posted by themacko
311 is my all-time favorite band .. but I'm also a pretty big fan of System of a Down and Foo Fighters.

I've got some unreleased 311 songs on my iDisk if anyone's interested... ;)
I love that new song "Amber" by 311....

can i have the link to your iDisk? i feel like downloading :D

yes, they might be giants and 311 are also awesome.. heres some more... suicide machines, next to nothing, chomsky, fenic tx, save ferris, migthy mighty bosstones, SA8, pink floyd, the who, steppinwolf, lynard skynard, ac/dc, operation ivy, ben folds, me first and the gimme gimmes

me first and the gimme gimmies.... i've only got 2 songs of theirs, but they're covers of other songs... anything i should really get to listen to

haha.. of course the songs you have are cover songs.. theyre a cover band :D .. most of their songs are good, but the cheers theme is cool and so is uptown girl and somewhere over the rainbow .. oh ya, the bands: nofx, madd caddies and no use for a name are cool

Hey I've been to a Weird AL concert... It's the one that was on Weird Al live. If you look closelyt you can see me and my family. =)

Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12
me first and the gimme gimmies.... i've only got 2 songs of theirs, but they're covers of other songs...

YEAH! I thought I was the only guy in the world that listened to them!!! i have all of their CDs, and even the vinyl records. I think the best one they do is Phantom of the Opera. That kicks ass. Uptown girl is good too.

So how many music threads are there on this forum now? I started one about 2 months ago... I remember one just like this... oh yeah, there was a lyrics thread.......

Heyyyyy Matrix... of course I have Kid A. :D Wow, what a fantastic album. It was actually my first Radiohead album; I figured if I liked that it would be a good acid test of whether I would like their other stuff. Little did I know how different Kid A was from all their earlier work! It's all great though. Except maybe Pablo Honey ;)

Idioteque!!! Best song ever!

And of course Amnesiac is a great album too. Have you heard their new live one, "I Might Be Wrong?" The version of "Like Spinning Plates" on it is fantastic.

-the valrus

Originally posted by rinse
Some of my faves include:

Dan the Automator
DJ Shadow

Squarepusher
Autechre

Kool Keith
Del the funky homosapien

Pinehurst Kids
Rainer Maria
Poster Children
Guided By Voices

Stereolab
Komeda

Godspeed you Black Emperor
Sigur Ros

your tooo cool! All the music you listen to, i listen too to (?)!!

but some more goodies:

radiohead
múm
do make say think
mogwai
boards of canada
afro celt sound system
air
zero7
afx
asian dub foundation
billy cobham
boo!
buena vista social club
wawadadakwa (belgium)
chemical brothers (yep, commercial i know, but they rock!)
cinematic orcherstra
the cure
david bowie
dEUS!!! (belgium)
dire straits (those good oldies, i love them)
doe maar
eels (the old eels)
el tattoo del tigre (belgium)
FOUR TET!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ghinzu
goldfrapp
grandaddy
i am kloot
kraftwerk
laika (very swingy)
lamb
lambchop!!!
led zeppelin (..........mmmmm)
llorca
massive attack
modest mouse
new order
noir désir
orange black (belgium)
padmo &weedy (2 great dj's) (belgium)
PIIIINKKKK FLLOOOYYYYD!
THE PIXIES!!
prince
all the music of the film: "requiem for a dream"
sonic youth
soulwax (belgium)
the notwist!!
tortoise
underworld (they keep on rocking (in the free world, keep on walking in the free world, good song))
zita swooooooon! (belgium)

senne. (belgium)

Originally posted by Matrix Agent
Valrus do you have Kid A? It's a brilliant album, took me like 5 plays through to appreciate it, but now it's great.

Same with me. i'm a diehard fan of radiohead (i've got all the albums, except Pablo HOney (it sucks) and i check greenplastic.com everyday for some news) But it took me a while to appreciate Kid A, but now i find it the best album that radiohead ever made.

(they're now working on a new album that will release in the first half of the summer 2003 :d)

my list of worst to best albums of radiohead

pablo honey
the bends
amnesiac
ok computer
kid a

the best b-side-song: Fog (alligators in new york sewers) or the amazing sounds of orgy (great song)

senne. (now working on a ......... *Bihihihiuhuhu*PC)

Originally posted by Valrus

And of course Amnesiac is a great album too. Have you heard their new live one, "I Might Be Wrong?" The version of "Like Spinning Plates" on it is fantastic.

-the valrus

yeeeeeeeeep! like spinning plates is wonderful! also the Live version of idioteque.. brilliant. You've got to download the live version of idioteque recorderd at the BBC, it's the best live song i've ever heard of idioteque.

And how to dissapear completely, that live version, i have a video of that song, http://www.dallasmavs.net/rhead/
(great site btw, you can download everything there, i'm suprised that it isn't yet trown of the internet by some legal-guys)

senne.

I'm not a huge fan of Amnesiac. I only like a few songs. Most sound like B-sides from Kid A. Have you guys seen the video for the "Pyramid Song"? I know quite a few people who don't like it, but I think it's amazing. Unfortunately a downloaded MPG off the web doesn't do it justice.

I'm curious Senne (or anyone else who likes them.) How would you rate the Pixies albums?

For me (good to best):

Come on Pilgrim
Trompe Le Monde
Surfer Rosa
Doolittle
Bossanova

to say that Pable Honey "sucks" is a bit unfair... it just is a bit immature in comparison to Radioheads other releases... "Anyone can play guitar" from Pable honey is one my fave Radiohead songs.

senne and dlookus... it does look like we have a lot of common tastes in music. :D

K, time for my list! :)

No order here... just... good stuff.

Loreena McKennit
Delerium
Enigma
The Offspring
Nirvana
Three Doors Down
Michelle Branch
Cusco
Positively Dark (this new band that's quite good... go to mp3.com/positivelydark and check it out; download the song "Iceland"!)
Mythos
Rob Dougan
Propellerheads
The Crystal Method
Chemical Brothers
Juno Reactor
Cyndi Lauper (only "Time After Time"--what a great song)
Waterbone
Myth
Alanis Morissette
Baka Beyond
D.M. Cook :))) (I'm allowed to do this, right? :))
Garmarna
Sorten Muld
Mars Lasar

Wow, what a wierd mix it is. :)

Back