The new iMac, HOLY COW

ohio_wookie

Registered
I have never wanted an iMac until today. The new ones are impressive.

But has anyone noticed that its using the same glass for the screen as the iPhone? And there were a ton of rumors about the new macs being multi-touch by the end of this year. I was just wandering if anyone lives near an Apple store and could get a closer look.

Do you think I'm crazy?

Apple said that they are not touch screens and that is still a research project, although they are beautiful.

I love the white theme. I miss it already. I hate glass screens. it will reflect everything.
I want one though. It has an apple logo on it.

I think they look very beautiful, and Apple have managed to stay on target with this one by emphasising all the things that are great about the previous iMac design and improving on it without going overboard. Bravo Apple.

they are very nice. I've never been a glossy screen fan, but I must say I have seen other people with MacBooks, and it isn't as reflective as I thought it would be.

Unannounced Mac Mini upgrade to core2duo! w00t!

Someone else posted about the question of a touch screen. I don't get the touch screen love in a desktop.

I hate reaching for the mouse as it is...I can't even imagine having to reach for the screen to select a command.

In a handheld device, touch screen makes total sense. Otherwise, I don't get it.

Well, I have been waiting for this day since November last year, when I vowed I would buy a new iMac when they released a new/updated design. The day arrived and I'm glad I waited!

I saved several hundred by purchasing the minimum amount of RAM from Apple, and getting it from a 3rd party. Hopefully, I'll see it sometime next week, my birthday is Saturday and I couldn't think of a better birthday present. Of course, I'll have to wait a little longer than that.

Yippy Skippy!

iLife 08 looks cool, especially iPhoto and iMovie, makes me want to get a video camera.

I also like the fact that the iSight is hidden! It looked so bad having a little black square on the plain white computer. Kinda like a pimple

Really? I rarely ever see my MacBook's iSight. I think I hadn't looked at it (directly) for weeks before you've just mentioned the iMac's iSight.

I'm looking at my iMac's iSight right now, and I think it adds a center to the whole design; not a bad thing.

However, the new iMacs look like raccoons to me.

raccoonimaccf3.jpg

They're SO amazing! I really want to have one! It's great that they took the 17" one out and instead made a cheap and expensive 20" version - much better!

Someone else posted about the question of a touch screen. I don't get the touch screen love in a desktop.

I hate reaching for the mouse as it is...I can't even imagine having to reach for the screen to select a command.

In a handheld device, touch screen makes total sense. Otherwise, I don't get it.

I agree, on a Desktop, a touch screen would be annoying after awhile. Second, personally, I don't want finger print marks all over my screen on my desktop.

I have been using a MacMini Core 2 1.66 w/ 2GB of RAM. I only purchased the system as a way to test out the new Intel chips, since I still had my PB G4 1.67ghz. After I increased the RAM to 2GB, and booted the machine from a firewire HD, the machine was pretty good. In fact, it was faster than my PB G4 and so I ended up migrating over to it as my primary machine. While I don't do any video editing, the thing works surprising well. Even when I have VMware running XP in unity mode, it never really seems to take a "hit" at all, only if I get photoshop, vmware and a few other larger applications open does it start to slow down.

But, I am ready and have been ready, 2.8GHZ, here I come!

Touch Screen has no practical purpose for the way I use my computer, BUT, it would be practical if the iMac was sitting in a kitchen or family room, where you could walk up, touch the screen to check email or pull a web page or two, or play bejeweled.

But, to sit down and write a paper, send longer emails, you move back to keyboard/mouse.

Oh and another thing, while I couldn't do it now, I have been wanting to get the kids a computer and setup a "media" hub for our family pictures. At $1199 for a 20" system, it is pretty nice price.

I think though, for now, I will just pick up a display for my MacMini and get it hooked up for the kids.

Well, the buttons are flat and I'm sure those of us with big hands need bigger keys...also the height of the keyboard will make using a wrist pad very problematic.

Steve touted it as a 'benefit' but I see it as a 'drawback' since Carpal Tunnel Syndrome isn't on my christmas list. :)

And why haven't they fixed the darn mouse yet??!

Back