The new iMac, HOLY COW

well, the buttons are flat and I'm sure those of us with big hands need bigger keys...also the height of the keyboard will make using a wrist pad very problematic.

Steve touted it as a 'benefit' but I see it as a 'drawback' since Carpal Tunnel Syndrome isn't on my christmas list. :)

You don't have to use a wrist rest. That's the benefit.

(And it's made of anodized aluminum, the same material as the Mac Pros and MacBooks Pros.)

Do you want a metal mouse, too? :p

The keyboard uses the same keys like the MacBook (and maybe Pro, I don't know about that).

What's wrong with the Apple Mouse? It works great and the Mighty Mouse is even better!

It's still not a standard 2 button mouse, something that gives chuckles to many pc users. I tried one and it was a bit of a chore to get the right mouse button to work properly, and that little ball leaves something to be desired.

You don't have to use a wrist rest. That's the benefit.

(And it's made of anodized aluminum, the same material as the Mac Pros and MacBooks Pros.)

Do you want a metal mouse, too? :p

Well the fact the keyboard is angled will mean your wrist is too. Try it on your desk right now...Definitely want a metal mouse! :)

Well, the buttons are flat and I'm sure those of us with big hands need bigger keys...

Are the keys really any smaller than typical desktop keyboards? I think it's an illusion because of the gaps between the keys. Most keyboards effectively have similar (bigger, even) gaps between the keys because the keys have a sort of pyramid shape, so the actual hittable area is smaller than the footprint of the key.

I haven't even seen one of these new keyboards in person yet, though, let alone actually used one for enough time to judge.

I always found pre-MacBook laptop keyboards to be horribly cramped, but the MacBook is comfortable for me. I'm hoping the desktop version has a similar effect. (Apple's old desktop keyboard was a bit cramped compared to most others.)

No they're 100% size like the MacBook's. Bigger keys would be *really* disturbing. So is the thought of the need for it.

Well I got small fingers, and I would love a small keyboard for traveling, am I seeing things or is there a power button on the wireless keyboard?

There's a power switch on the old wireless keyboards, so I don't see why it couldn't be a power button.

yah, now that I look at it, it is, I really wish they had a power button on the front of the imac kind of like the cube, or on the keyboard like the old macs.

It's still not a standard 2 button mouse, something that gives chuckles to many pc users. I tried one and it was a bit of a chore to get the right mouse button to work properly, and that little ball leaves something to be desired.

Since I never use a right mouse button I don't need it, and (even though dirt goes inside easily) the little ball in the middle works too.

There's a power switch on the old wireless keyboards, so I don't see why it couldn't be a power button.

Ah, well... I guess the talk was of a button to power on your Mac, not the keyboard. The keyboard's on/off-switch is at the bottom (at least on the old version).

I have a comparable Cherry Keyboard at work for my Linux box, and the keys are really great once you get the feel for it. I doubt that it will be any different with the new Apple Keyboard.

The new iMac makes me ponder if I should finally throw my G4 MDD out and get one of the 20'-thingies... Darn that I'm so broke =/

For anyone buying a 24" iMac 2.8ghz w/ 4GB of RAM... you can save around $600 over Apple's BTO option... or $100 for the 2GB option.

BTO the 2.4 package with 1GB of ram, to 2.8ghz and 500mb HD. Purchase the 4GB from Crucial for around $300 w/ taxes/shipping. Sell the 1GB chip to a friend for $50, and you have $600 savings.

If you are just going for a 2.8Ghz w/ 2GB of RAM, then you save around $100, they want to charge you $150 for the 1GB, you can pick it up for around $50 new. This becomes mute however if you factor in purchasing from Apple w/ taxes or from another supplier w/o taxes as you will probably save money by not going the tax route.

Why does Apple charge so much for memory?

It is kind of steep, I was going to customise my MacBook Pro and throw in 3GB RAM rather than 2 just for the hell of it, but at an extra cost of over $1000 I didn't think it was worth it.

Why does Apple charge so much for memory?

Because they can. *sigh*

For people who aren't comfortable installing their own RAM (which is to say, most people), it's not so outrageous when you consider that the alternative is to take it into a shop to have it installed and pay an installation fee in addition to the cost of the shop's RAM. The RAM you'd get in a local shop is probably more expensive that what you'd get online to begin with, too. And then there's always the "convenience tax"...

But yeah, $850 for 4GB is an awful lot. The more RAM you add, the less it makes sense to buy it from Apple.

Back