the New OS October!

Pandoros

Registered
Hey,
do you think leopard will be running 100% in October,
not have problems like Vista?

I will be buying a New Laptop,
not sure if I should wait....

You can expect some rough edges on any .0 release. 10.4.0 had its share of problems, as did 10.3.0. Apple usually releases the .1 update within a couple weeks, which fixes most of the problems. Some people like to wait until the .2 or .3 updates, which are likely to come 2-3 months after the initial release.

Personally I've always jumped right in, and I probably will again with 10.5.0.

My prediction: October 31st marks the release of Leopard, Mac OS X 10.5. At the end of November, there'll be 10.5.1 fixing some bugs and at the end of the year or in early January '08 we'll see 10.5.2 released. Want to save the 129 USD? Buy when Leo's out.

I plan on jjumping right in too, because 1. im already going crazy and 2. everybody is going to be taalking about it and i'll actually know what there talking about.

I'll jump right in, especially so if the iMacs, MacBooks, keyboards, and/or mice go multitouch.

Are you two talking about the same thing? Qion: Jumping in when that hardware's released or when Leo's released? And are there any _substantial_ rumours about multitouch (other than what we already have with two-finger trackpad handling) on Macs?

Are you two talking about the same thing? Qion: Jumping in when that hardware's released or when Leo's released? And are there any _substantial_ rumours about multitouch (other than what we already have with two-finger trackpad handling) on Macs?

How much evidence is substantial to you? I'm going on wishes and what various coworkers have talked about with me.

I was attempting to insinuate that I'd be even more willing to get Leopard right away if there were also an important hardware change.

I am waiting for Leopard - i plan to buy a new MB Pro - and i am getting tired of waiting!!!! :(

I always buy next OS when available. I think Leopard will be great, and for me, I rarely experience any problems.

Im tired of waiting too!
but I need a computer badly for University!
And if multi-touch comes out, i will be stuck.
paying 3000$ for a brand new laptop.

And a new hardware comes out i will be ever so sad,
I can buy the new OS after in a family kit so I can upgrade my IMAC

I have never purchased an OS the day it was released ... but that will change this time!
I can hardly wait for it!!

ON that note: If it's announced on Oct. 31st, it would be available online right away, but what if you wanted to purchase it in a store - how long would it take until it was available to buy in a store (such as Best Buy) ... I'm in Canada and we don't have Apple Stores

Rob

I have never purchased an OS the day it was released ... but that will change this time!
I can hardly wait for it!!

ON that note: If it's announced on Oct. 31st, it would be available online right away, but what if you wanted to purchase it in a store - how long would it take until it was available to buy in a store (such as Best Buy) ... I'm in Canada and we don't have Apple Stores

Rob

Hey Rob, Im in Canada to, Montreal, And I have a Apple Store.
I would never buy it in store More Online!

But I worry is there is any glitches on release day,
I need this for School, so failure is a big no-no!

There probbably won't be any big big failure, but if you want to be sure it doesnt crash, stay with 10.4.10 and wait till 10.5.1 comes out in the next month or so.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, maybe even 10.5.2 or maybe .3
it be around march so i should be ok, just "upgrade" and not a clean install :)

even though it it can be hard to back up and then clean install, clean installing is the best thing to do.

I plan more steps with Leopard:

1.) Backup everything, i.e. I'm cloning the internal drive onto a FW/USB-2 drive.
2.) Clean install Leopard, i.e. I'm erasing the internal drive.
3.) Bring back my data and settings from the backup.
4.) Hook up a new FW/USB-2 drive for backups (TimeMachine).
5.) Testing.
6.) If all works fine, I can erase the initial backup device.

Im tired of waiting too!
but I need a computer badly for University!
And if multi-touch comes out, i will be stuck.
paying 3000$ for a brand new laptop.

And a new hardware comes out i will be ever so sad,
I can buy the new OS after in a family kit so I can upgrade my IMAC

That doesn't even make sense.

I plan more steps with Leopard:

1.) Backup everything, i.e. I'm cloning the internal drive onto a FW/USB-2 drive.
2.) Clean install Leopard, i.e. I'm erasing the internal drive.
3.) Bring back my data and settings from the backup.
4.) Hook up a new FW/USB-2 drive for backups (TimeMachine).
5.) Testing.
6.) If all works fine, I can erase the initial backup device.

Wow those are many steps! I'll just put the important stuff on my ext. HD and then just install it over as usual - if something happens, I have the imp. stuff and then I'll just clean install and copy the files over.

The main reason for the steps: When I activate Time Machine, I get rid of older backups I've made through Silver Keeper, because it'll look messy to have two backup systems on the same external harddrive. Wanna trust Time Machine. But I could've just mentioned three: 1.) Clone. 2.) Clean install. 3.) Test.

Back