The Panther 7B28 Thread

Well, I'm back to 7B21 on my desktop system. Everything is smooth as silk on my laptop.

Installed fine. Got everything setup fine. Restarted. Everything seemed OK. After about two minutes I got a kernel panic. Restarted. After about two minutes got a kernel panic. Rebooted in "Safe Boot" mode. After about two minutes got a kernel panic. Restarted and left it on the login screen. After about two minutes got a kernel panic.

Only changes I had made were:
Imported my mail boxes
Safari bookmarks
Imported my keychain
Address Book info
Stickies database

Of course, now in hindsight I'm thinking I probably should have dumped my keychain or something, but the constant kernel panics were too much for me. May give it another shot on Monday...

BTW-- I'm not belly-aching about beta software not working, just venting.

Just one thing I discover B28 is that it is the first version of panther that does not want to install on a machine with only 96 Megabytes.
One of my test machine's has only that and I did install B21 on it.

7B28 differences/issues: First, this build installed over 7B21 (upgrade option) with no problem which was a great relief. Blue progress bar in the installer is broken (flashes black and white as has been reported by others earlier). Things feel a touch zippier since 7B21 (which was already fairly zippy). I've had Mail crash on me whenever I try go reply to or forward messages from my in-box. I've also noticed the "compose" icon in mail now simply says "new". The latest version of Safari seems to have updated security certificates (I've been using a particularly picky website as a benchmark that, until this build, had kept me using Camino because Safari would not work. It is not an issue anymore) but it crashes more frequently now. The Finder has crashed a few times on me which never happened in previous builds. The Expose hot corners are still too sensitive. And my screensaver hot corners do not seem to be working. The selection in the number of passes for secure trash is gone. The trash icon in the Dock still appears full after emptying trash. And when you open the trash after deleting, the files still appear to be there. Only when you click on them or try to drag them out of the trash does the Finder realize the files are no longer there. The top of the finder window is a bit narrow so labels on the bottom of files that you drag to the top of the Finder window do not display. There seems to be a new option in the general preferences of the Finder which allows you to select or deselect whether or not hard disks, servers and iPods are shown on the desktop (this may have been in 7B21 and I didn't notice it). Happily, the iTunes/iPod synch bug has been fixed. iTunes still seems to crash if you over-tax it (trying to move around the iTMS too quickly crashed it repeatedly for me. Sometimes the pull down menus over-write each other in the menu bar at the top of the screen. The hard disc specs (number of files and space available) which usually appears at the bottom of the Finder window will pop up randomly in the middle of a folder. I'm not sure I have seen anyone mention it before, but there are a couple of cool new features with Classic. You are now able to access a pulldown menu of Apple Menu Items from the Classic/OS 9.2.2. The icon in the dock while starting Classic fills with color as it is starting up. And a new Classic menu bar icon displays gray when Classic is not running, orange when it is active, and blue when it is idle. The issue with the battery charge time in the menu bar now seems to be fixed. And Panther continues to sip battery power more conservatively than Jag-wire. iSync has stopped working for me in the latter days of 7B21 as I got dialogue box warnings that the version had expired. It is back, and updated (from v.101 to v.109) in 7B28. There is some new text in the help menus about using "Common Access Cards" which we will probably hear more about when File Vault is implemented. When dragging files out of the finder window, and passing over the iDisk icon, the system stalls while the iDisk is mounted to the desktop (even when you weren't necessarily dropping files there).

Originally posted by cjboffoli
When dragging files out of the finder window, and passing over the iDisk icon, the system stalls while the iDisk is mounted to the desktop (even when you weren't necessarily dropping files there).
Maybe it's anticipating that you will, readying the iDisk or the connection.
The Expose hot corners are still too sensitive. And my screensaver hot corners do not seem to be working.
Try using function keys instead. That will avoid accidental activation, and relinquish the corners back to your screensaver.

Whatever happened to Panther builds 7B22-7B27?

arden asked: "Whatever happened to Panther builds 7B22-7B27?"

It's usual that Apple doesn't release every build to 'outside' developers. Instead, they decide to create a new build for the devs based on the changes they've made (not every oh-so-small change needs the thumbs-up of a few thousand people!).

When I log out of 7b28 it doesnt go to the log out screen, but attempts to go there, then just logs back in automatically. Anyone else have this problem?

Mighty, you might have automatic login selected. You should check for this in your System Preferences. Not really a Panther-specific detail...

even if you have auto-login, the computer should still log you out. auto-login is only active on first boot.

Maybe it's stuck. Maybe it is a Panther issue after all.

As of this posting, I only have 20 more posts to break the 2000 mark. Just FYI.

And I'll do it later today (Sunday, August 10, 2003) after I get some sleep. Because tomorrow I register for classes.

Yeah...

hmmm, when I installed Panther I archived 7b21. I went and looked to see if auto-login was enabled and it was, but I also noticed that my account is no longer an administrator. How do I get my account back to being an administrator? I mean I know how to do it, but I can't since I can't unlock the system preferences because I'm not the administrator anymore...?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just reset the password.

Is the "All Windows" feature of expose working for anyone? According to the Apple webpage, it's SUPPOSED to shrink all windows so you can see them all at once. It worked this way in the DP, but it's not working right for me in 7b28.

No no. F9 does something for me... I can tell that it activates something (background turns darker), but the windows don't shrink down like they are supposed to. IE, using Safari now, it stays in the foreground.

Originally posted by superfula
No no. F9 does something for me... I can tell that it activates something (background turns darker), but the windows don't shrink down like they are supposed to. IE, using Safari now, it stays in the foreground.
are you sure it isnt set on "application windows" instead of "all windows"? open 2+ windows of the same app and try again.

It does, but not for hidden applications, only if you have multiple applications/windows visible. Minimised windows and hidden applications are not included. I guess that's what you're experiencing (that you have actually only one window visible at the time you hit F9).

Are you sure you have F9 set to control Exposé? It sounds like you have it set to control your brightness or contrast. Open up your System Preferences and check on what the shortcut is.

Originally posted by cjboffoli
The trash icon in the Dock still appears full after emptying trash. And when you open the trash after deleting, the files still appear to be there. Only when you click on them or try to drag them out of the trash does the Finder realize the files are no longer there.

This little bug annoys me!

Back