The Panther 7B28 Thread

That's one of many reason's it's still a beta! I'm sure they'll find it and squash it in due time.

Rumor has it that 7B34 is internally at Apple!

I could really use a new Server build, at the very least. Current build doesn't support FireWire!

If someone logs in, and I (root) am already logged in.. I can't switch back to root.. normally I'd select Login Window, and then other, but "other" isn't there. Also, I have an Epson 740 and in the Printer Dialog, the quality of the print and the color dialog is gone so it automaticly prints in color and low quality now..

Sigh

Still no 7B28 on my Desktop. It's weird. After the install everything is A-OK until I have to restart. This morning I checked out my RAM specs in System Profiler and noticed 3 sticks were PC2100 and one was PC2600. So I pulled the 2600 out and booted into my 7B28 volume. Still friggin' kernel panics. I guess the next step is to install, not change anything or set any preferences... nothing, then restart to see if it still KPs. If not, I guess I have to set prefs one at a time, restarting after each one until I find out which one (if that's even what the problem is) is the culprit.

7B28 still running like a champ on my TiBook though.

Wish I knew what I was looking at when reading the panic.log file.

I don't see kernel panics coming from preferences. If you have repeatable KPs, they're usually coming from some hardware issue. Bad or incompatible RAM is one I've had several times with desktops and notebooks alike (Jaguar). But it could also be a graphics card that isn't supported yet or whatever... Why not wait for the next build... You can try out Panther on the TiBook, as you've said.

Yeah, I kind of figured it was a hardware thing. Just seemed odd that it didn't affect the intial startup. You would think if was something like that, it would have KP'ed after the registration/Setup Assistant. Ran AHT and all the tests passed. I almost wonder if it's a multiple processor issue. You would think that the GeForce 4MX would be supported.

meh, I'll just stick with 7B21 on the Desktop for now.

7b28 belongs in the trash. worst pre release yet. everything is BROKEN. mail, finder, printing, etc.

DELETED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and please Apple, do something creative with the Dock, its getting kind of STALE!

Originally posted by superfula
Is the "All Windows" feature of expose working for anyone? According to the Apple webpage, it's SUPPOSED to shrink all windows so you can see them all at once. It worked this way in the DP, but it's not working right for me in 7b28.

I was having the same problems as you were. I repaired the permissions(which took about 45 minutes) rebooted then expose worked how it was supposed to.

kendall: Please do not totally ignore all the other posters who claim the build to be the most stable and complete this far. Mail, Finder etc. work perfectly for me (my printer isn't supported yet, though). The build has proven much better than any Panther build before.

Yeah, 7B28 is far more stable on my TiBook than than the WWDC build or 7B21.

RE: My KP problems-- I was talking to someone who also has a DP MDD G4 and they said they're having similar problems to mine, so it must be a dual-proc issue.

Back