The Perigee Project

evildan

Super Moderator
The objective:

Phase 1: Computer Development
1) Gather a team

2) Build an entire computer of original design. Every element of the computer will be conceptualised and created in electronic form. Interior, exterior, and possibly the OS.

Phase 2: Company Development
1) Create fictional profiles staff

2) Create fictional company and company history

Phase 3: Product Marketing
1) Create a website feature the product and all of its features

2) Create ads, banners, and other sample promotional material such as T-Shits, etc.

3) Create marketing strategy for fictional company

The background:
The idea of this came to me not too long ago. I was building my portfolio and realized a lot of the websites I've done have not reflected my creativity. Client limitations have turned what could have been a great website into a crappy half-done product.

The idea that I could create an entire site for a fictional product seemed like a good solution. That way there would be no limitations to the design of the site, I could take as many risks as I wanted because I wouldn't have to worry about actually selling the product.

I decided the product should be a computer. I know enough about computers to at least come up with realistic plans and after seeing some original designs in the Rumours forum of this site, I thought it would be fun.

It wasn't long after that I realized if I actually wanted to do this, I'd want to do it right. I didn't just want a nice looking box, I'd like to have a designed mother-board, and other interior components to be highlighted on the website, too.

Then I decided to keep the idea as open as possible. I wouldn't allow current technology to limit the computer, but I would use it as the basis for the computer's design. Meaning, I would except a quad processor solution, but not a solution that wouldn't allow for a processor at all. A computer needs a processor to function, and so will the computer I design.

I also didn't want to limit the level of detail. Meaning, if I came up with a good box design, I wanted to make room for the idea that I would design other interior components, even up to the point of a designed OS, if I wanted to.

As I thought about this, it became very clear to me, that this was a lot of work. A lot of work that would only benefit me by including it in my portfolio. I quickly remembered the design crowd portion of this website.

Nummi had started a design and passed it on to be "continued" then whoever came up with a worthy addition to the original design could bring that altered design back to the group, where it was passed on to another person, and so on.

The thought occurred to me, why not do this with the design of a computer? Why not create a design team, and come up with a computer design together?

And so I decided the first thing to do is gather a team.

The Team:
The team will be made up of as many people as I can collect. The team will be broken into three groups if we get enough people.

Group 1: Designers.
Based on the input from group 2 and 3 you will design the actual conceptual art.

If you have strong design skills, but you don’t want to think about the technical side of the computer, consider joining in this group.

People from Group 2 and 3 may also be members of this group.

Group 2: Technical Advisors
For those of you who want to dream of the computer, but may have little or no artistic capabilities. You will be responsible for the technical layout of the computer. You will help determine what will make up the interior and exterior elements of this computer. You will help specify what types of distinguishing features the computer will have. You will also be responsible for advising on the implementation and placement of interior components.

People from group 1 and 3 may also be members of this group.

Group 3: Principals
Your main function will be to help coordinate the work-flow of ideas and concept artwork. You will meet (and brainstorm) with the technical advisors and help determine which ideas get passed on to the designers. You will also meet with the designers and brainstorm with possible working solutions to the technical requirements and limitations of the concept computer.

Then you will help in the decision of which design solutions get further attention from either of the other groups.

I will assign myself as principal project coordinator. Everyone who signs up for this will be a designer of some kind. We will work with the skills you have. If you’re not an artistic person, but want to contribute, your imagination will be required

Group 1: Designers
All open

Group 2: Technical Advisors
All open

Group 3: Principals
Principal Project Coordinator: evildan
Principal Decision maker: open

All team members will be credited with their portion of the work. All team members will be allowed to use the entire finished project in their portfolios, if they agree to <b>not</b> take credit for the entire project.

The final project will appear in my portfolio, along with the names and contact information (if they opt to include) of every person on the team who contributed to the project.

Those of you who are interested in getting a team together or have other ideas, please feel free to email me:
evildan@mac.com

Nummi,

We could make it run on osx... I doubt we'll see the project actually get to the "OS Level"

What do you think? Are you interested in joining the team?

Like everyone, you're busy, but this is going to take up as much time as you want it to.

I plan on doing the bulk of the work, unless someone wants to help out.

Great Nummi, I thought you might be interested.

Nothing needed from you now until we get more of a team together. If you know anyone who might be interested, send them my way.

sounds nice but sorry i'm too busy, and not really in the position to play make believe right now... unless this fictional company actually paid me 10.000 dolars for my work on their branding, consultin and web design.

Hey, Vic, perhaps they'll just give you share options. :D

Actually, I was thinking base it on the Java Virtual Machine. A processor that exists only by definition and not in the "physical" world. There are whole books of technical data on the Java Virtual Machine, from the registers to the logic, even though it has never been produced (as far as I know, perhaps they have produced some in small quantity).

Or, we could just go crazy and start working on the first quantum computer with holographic optical storage. :p

A quantum computer sounds good - I have actually done some research into opto-electronic materials for that very purpose. You need a good cooler though. However Si based chips are actually better for number crunching i.e. the maths functions. The quantum chips are great for graphics (and other multimedia?).

Quantum level comms is rather good for cryptography - not only secure, but it is possible to tell when something has been cracked.

R.

$10,000, that's cheap!

But, no, I'm sorry, this is just as you say "make believe."

A project meant to spark the imagination.

I hear a lot of complaining on these boards from people who wished their computer did this and had that, so it seemed like the right place to start up the project.

One more thing, I'm not looking for people to help out on the branding, marketing or web design. I'll handle all of that. I work for an advertising company and I'm their web developer.

The site is going to be built in Flash, and burned on a ROM for distribution.

Does this sound like a good idea? I thought it would be a fun project.

Originally posted by roger
A quantum computer sounds good - I have actually done some research into opto-electronic materials for that very purpose. You need a good cooler though.

roger, would a water cooling system work? Otherwise we could use nitro... but that might be a bit dangerous. I've been looking at some water cooled systems, all the cool and none of the noise.

I just need to look at the specs to see how much room will be required for one to be installed.

You need to get the computers really cold - so liquid air or Nitrogen is in order (at least). Heat has a habit of breaking the quantum effects up quite a bit.

Working with liquid air isn't too bad - just keep remembering to top up the reservoir (365 day job). That is why I don't work in that area any more - not fun for a Christmas day.

Leaking liquid air shouldn't kill your computer either - but a water leak could be a disaster.

R.

I'LL DO IT!

count me in with ANY thing you need... i may not be able to do it all, but i'll try my hardest!

things like this are what i do best...

well I would be interested once school ends (in about a month or so)...right now I am up to my ears in homework (and want to do some of my own hobbies too, like music mixing :p)

I would be interested in technical advising, and part art (lol my two fortes :p)
I dont have the time to be a decision maker although I am good with managemenent.

oh heck, just gimme any position you want except the janitorial one :p (trust me dust WILL settle on your fictional computers and your fictional cubicles :p)

Admiral

This kinda sounds cool. I have no idea what I can do... but if you want to give me a shot at doing something I will do my damn-dest to do it right.:)

Besides my mommie says I need to be involved in more activities.:D

this si not an activity. i think what she meant is get off our arse and do some sports.. but i could be wrong...

As long as you guys are going to make a fake computer with a fake OS, you might as well make it into a big hoax! With the right amout of time put in this could keep people guessing for a month. Who knows if Apple likes the creativity it sees mabey it will give you a plush R&D job with a fat paycheck?:D

I tend to be good with rumors, so I you're up for the hoax thing you can count me in as far as company resarch goes. I could create a nice interesting plot which follows Apple's recent aquisitions and their copyrighted trademarks.

Everyone,

First of all I want to thank you for your interest in the Perigee Project. The project is still in production, and this recent burst of interest assures me that we will end up the people we need to proceed. I responded to each of the people who posted below. Please feel free to read

AdmiralAK,

Thanks for offering. Things are busy here too. Anyone who wants to help can be involved as little or as much as they want to be. I am sure this project will run past the month marker. If you're still interested when school lets out, please check back, we need all the help we can get.

BlingBling 3k12,

You're in, if you want it. Right now, we have to collect a few more people. There is a lot of work to be done before we even get ready to start the project. Finish school and check back with us in a month.

Nummi,

We need all the artists, 3d and 2d we can get. Yes I want a 3d rendering because I want to view the computer from all angles. Right now I want to center on comp art. So no 3d models will be needed until after we explore some desgin ideas.

Lessthanmighty,

You can do whatever you feel like. Keep in mind that we will only be expected to do what you said you were going to.

Matrix Agent,

I had thought of that, and yes, that's what we're going for. If you're interested, we could talk and compare ideas sometime. I have an entire online marketing plan for this computer -- but it's all in my head right now. I'd love to draw some of it out with you, it's never too early to get the rumors started.

Of course, the mear posting of this project might make the rumors go away.

Ideally it would be nice if we created a population of people that actually believed this computer existed.

Anyone,

If you have any questions, concerns, ideas or rants, please feel free to post or email them to me.

Back