The Perigee Project

I have a question for the group...

Could we put a processor at an angle? I'm thinking about box designs and I thought it might help with cooling if we could develop an undercurrent or air or water to help cool the sytem. However in doing so, I would need to sliglty tip each of the four processors about 15 - 20?.

Is this possible? Recommended?

I was thinking, do we go spy pictures or do we do a full out site design. Of course, spy pictures would be much easier to do, but no one has ever pretended that they actually hacked the site, and it would make us immune to any accusations of "photoshopping" the pictures. I could make some very convincing tech specs as well as some nice slogans, add some nice pictures and everything is good.

If we copy the format of Apple's site do we risk legal trouble?

I don't think we copy the exact format of Apple's site. That could dis-prove our reality before we get off the ground.

I think we complete a website that has the feel of Apple's website... the simplistic branding approach.

We're going to need the realistic spech plans. and the theme has to be 3d. We need to be able to view all angles of the computer on the site so we can imply it actually exists.

Apple realy can't go after us becuase you can copywright what their website looks like. Only the graphics, names, etc can be prevented from copying legally.

I'm thinking that we do the proc shots head-on, just like Apple. Mabey add a large brushed titanium "G5" over the core?:D

Water cooling definitely sounds like a total Apple idea. But we need to make sure that it is technically viable and does not require user maitnence, because thats just not Apple's style.

Sorry, just realized that you ment actual proc placement within the box, I really don't know about that. Do you have any idea what HyperTransport will look like? I think that coupling that with Firewire2, Bluetooth and a new system bus (including DDR) people would be excited enough to believe. I think the design should problably have a side access door. How about drive bays in the upper right hand corner (side-view with door open) Power source and pump or w/e in the bottom right hand corner. The motherboard will be in the middle and will extend all the way to the end of the computer. It will give two rows of ports off of the motherboard. A row of 6 USB-2 and ADC and Digital in/out ports. The top row will include 4 Firewire2 Ports a Gigabit Ethernet Port and a standard 56k Modem. On top of that will be an access panel for the airport card. Taking up the upper right hand corner will be a bigass wireless connectivity area which will recive/send all 802.11 and Bluetooth signals. This extra space for antanne will allow for the extended range that the next version of airport will promise. We wont tell them though, because it's apple's style to not tell users about some features until they're ready. The bottom right will be space for 8 PCI? cards? They're four memory slots which will accept 1024 chips.

Let me attach a diagram, i know this is hard to visualize.

Attachments

• mockup.jpeg
    mockup.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 11
I want to entertain the idea of re-thinking the tower box. Is there another shape that would work better than the tower?

I don't want there to be anything traditional about this computer at all.

The water-cooling is real. I've seen it used on a computer before. It is completely silent. It operates without the need of additional fan cooling of any kind.

This will be a perfect solution to the silent computer problem Jobs wanted solved.

What shape would best work for a computer? We have to make room for drives, etc.

Okay, this is kind of rough, but it should give you an idea of what I was thinking. You might want to look at the diagram while reading my description.

I thought of putting two dual processor units along the bottom of the computer. Inserting them along the side of an angle gutter that runs the length of the computer. The computer would feature a glass or plastic skirt that creates elevation and a strong design element to the computer. (Much like Apple's Cube).

The angle will help pull the heat away and create more surface area. It will also create a gap that could be used to push air though to further cool the computer. You would be able to see the angle through the clear plastic from all sides.

The mother board(s) could be split or in the shap of a V. They could run the entire length of the computer, or partial length with a Power supply. (I have the power supply lower to help with weight distrabution.

The computer features 3 - 5 1/4 bays for CD-Rom, burners, and or DVD. It also featues 4 slots for internal hardrives.

All the power and Bus wiring could be directed up the spine (labled Power / Bus Strip).

PCI slot cards would fit just below the spin (at an angle) and could exit the computer at the side or in the back (if the power supply was elevated).

The water cooling system would start it's flow over the processors to the back of the computer up the back of the computer and collect more heat from the harddrives and finally to the radiator at the top of the computer. The pump would also be located above the har drive bays.

The hard drives will also be air vented from the back.

The power supply is missin gin the Top View becuase after designing the side view I wanted to debate the placement.

Attachments

• towerdesign-1.gif
    towerdesign-1.gif
    50.8 KB · Views: 16
I'm not sure how thi would fit in to they schematic you just drew, but I was not only thinking along the lines of artisitic and technical creativity, what about ease of use creativity? Sort of like the fold down door on the G4 box.

What about a rotation base or midsection to the tower? IF the bootm could be rotated it would allow the wires to leave to any side the user desires. Back for a clean desk, front for easy access, I would imagine that this would involve saying that all USB/FW ports on the MB are already connected to wires which feed to the user accessed ports on the ouside. Since the "ports" are no longer directly connected to the MB, the ports can be wherever we want them.

Just an idea, not sure of its technical viability.

I like the V design, its ver catchy. Even cooler would be to have the water fall down through a thin channel just below the surface, underneath clear plastic. The water would run under the motherboards and be collected in a viewable resavoir at the bottom, which follows the contour of the "V". Mabey? Sort of like the silent waterfall computer? It would be very cool to watch it flow, but then again, could it become ugly? Just throwing out ideas....

Plus, nice diagram, looks like you;ve been thinking about this for a while.

That is odd that your post came after mine. I was checking the thread and almost missed your posting becuase it wasn't under mine.

I like the water idea, I can see it happening. The only concerns would be does that water get discolored with time? And would that increase the amount of work the pump would have to do to circulate the water?

Also, I am not sure I follow the mid-section rotation idea of yours. It sounds really interesting.. any chance you could diagram it?

I had an idea similar to the swing-door access of the G3's - G4's. If you look at my diagram (previous posting), Front view. If you can imagine the point made by the "V" being a rotation point. And the Processors to the left and right would be allowed to swing down to become level. That would allow access (albeit somewhat restictive access) to the processor units.

I can diagram it if it's unclearly described. Just let me know. One more thing, I wanted to thank you Matrix for playing along so far. I enjoy your imput to the ideas.

Back