The Positive Reaction Thread

edX

mac shaman
in response to the skepticism thread, i am starting this thread to allow a sanctuary for those who would like to discuss the positive apects of all the latest news and rumors. posts that are clearly trolling and whining will be deleted. you can whine elsewhere. just not in this thread. there are some of us who still like our macs, who would continue using the one we have for as long as possible if apple were to go out of business tomorrow. this is our thread.

there are so many good things about the apple experience that have nothing to do with mhz and mb. So if you are as sick of the exagerated demands of the handful of type A personalities who seem to have taken over this forum recently, this is your place to go back to being a sharing community of mac fans. Your place to tune out the rants and to share your smiles that come from being a mac user. :)

I'll start by saying that i simply don't care one way or the other about the power macs. i'm not a pro user. i'm a regular guy who enjoys his imac. My imac works great. not perfect, but nicely enough that i often wonder just how fast do these people think a computer needs to be in order to do 99% of the tasks that most computer users perform. (rhetorical question - don't bother debating the issue ) but if i did get one of the new powermacs, i am sure i would think i had died and gone to mac heaven.

I've said this in the start of a rant, but I'll post it here without the rant.

Two co-workers at work. They were both thinking about getting a new Mac. They were both looking at the 933Mhz (Faster) model.

They are typical computer users. They are not getting an iMac because they want larger monitors/expension.

They both know that I am a Mac nut and they both separately came over (one with spec sheet printouts) smiling and incredibly impressed by the new macs. :D

One of them made a purchase today, the other will soon. If my Mac was a little older I would upgrade too. :D

PS>Thanks Ed.

Hmmmm.... I don't know if this post exactly qualifies for this thread but if it doesn't Ed can just delete and I won't have any hard feelings. :)

I've been using 10.2 6C115 for a little while now and it's awesome! Faster, cleaner and even more functional. Can you imagine running it on one of the new PowerMacs?! I just replaced my Dual 450 G4 with a Powerbook 800 so I won't be upgrading again for a while, but I'd sure like to. OS 10.2 is OS X finally in all its predicted glory. Combine the OS speed increase with the processor speed bump and better memory and the fact that OS X really likes memory and you've got a machine that will do all the things you like to do -- all at once!

I use my mac for everything. The only thing I don't do on it is play games. Well, maybe Starcraft now and then. ;) I use it for writing papers, doing homework, reading the news, listening to music, watching movies, chatting with friends, mail, learning off the web, researching and working, to name a few examples. And usually I want to do almost everything at the same time.

OS 9, in my opinion, didn't make that easy at all. Windows doesn't make it enjoyable at all, even after 'getting used' to Windows from its birth to its current state. OS X makes everything I do easy and absolutely enjoyable, and these new towers would make it totally fluid! That was the idea behind 'aqua', right?

I work in video and video brings the mightiest systems to their knees, but I won't go back to Windows for my personal machine until Intel is 8 times faster than Macs or Windows is 50 times better than it is right now.

My major is mechanical engineering and I can appreciate a car's insides, but there's more to a car then its CC capacity, number of cylinders or its time from 0 to 60. Would a Ferrari or a Porsche be such hot cars if they looked like most computer boxes do? Their appearance doesn't add anything at all to their performance (beyond streamlining) yet almost no one would spend $50,000 for a car that didn't look pretty spiffy. And if the inside wasn't comfortable and easy to use would anybody complain? You betcha!

Computers aren't a geek's toy any more -- they're a part of our everyday lives now, and if aesthetics aren't a part of our everyday lives then I don't know what is. Both the hardware and software should be pleasing to the eyes and OS X and Apple's towers are (even the new towers, in my opinion). And they should be easy to use too -- not because I or anyone else is stupid, but because I want to expend my intellectual energies on what I'm doing on my computer, not on how to use the computer.

And how about dependability? We've all heard about Consumer Reports' recent top marks for Apple in consumer satisfaction. I want to know my computer will take me where I want to go without having to stop and change a tire or restart the engine, metaphorically speaking, every few miles. Windows will take me where I want to go, but my Mac will take me where I want to go today.

So I'll wait a few extra minutes for my PB 800 to render a 2 minute sequence, and drool over the new towers, while not worrying too much about how many cycles per second my neighbor's Wintel box is up to. People say such thinking is 'apologizing' for Apple's failures to churn out faster processors. I recognize that they're not as fast right now, but computers are to a point now where it's not all about speed. Really, it isn't. It's about a complex combination of factors that make computers make our lives better and easier. Right now I think Apple has the best combination out there. And if they sent me a free Dual 1.25GHz G4, I would probably go preaching door to door about it. ;)

Yep, let's unwhine macosx.com!

I was a bit disappointed when Steve didn't show us these dual-headed monsters at MWNY already, but I think it was a good idea to do so, as you can now order them with 10.2 preloaded (plus they couldn't have shipped them earlier, anyway, which gives us two events instead of one).

Which brings me to the main part of this post: Jaguar. It's such a perfect operating system. Of course, _no_ operating system will ever be perfect, but Jaguar has the tendency to let my machine (and my TiBook 500 is quite old already) shine very, very smoothly. My work seems smoother, I feel allured to my Mac anew, it's a bit like when you're girlfriend went shopping with the money she got for her birthday and came back with the biggest smile on her face and a fantastic new robe on her body: You'll instantly know again why you've fallen in love with her at the beginning, if you've forgotten about that a little. Okay, maybe this is a bit off, but if you _can_ fall in love with an operating system and _have_ fallen in love with the Mac before, you _will_ fall in love with your Mac again when you dress it in Jaguar.

Canceling our order of an Xserve, and placing it for the Dual 1Ghz PowerMac! :)

A tower is what we REALLY wanted, but only the XServe had DDR...

Boss made us cancel the order yesterday (dont ask, he does this all the time) but thank goodness he did! Cuz we just found the perfect system we need in our network! :)

Dual 1Ghz, a Combo and Super Drive, 3 120GB HDDs, and OS X Server! :)

ok so maybe it doesn't have a lot of the features the Xserve does, but in our environment the new Powermacs are exactly what we where crying for! :D

Thank you Apple - Talk about perfect timing! :)

First of all, thanks Ed...I've read quite a lot of "new Power Mac" threads today and most of the post's are really negative about how the new Power Mac's just doesn't cut it. For me...well I couldn't be happier, I'm in the market looking for a new mac and now I can get a dual 867 for the price of an "old" dual gig's price.

But the one thing I'm looking forward to the most is running Jaguar, I really think this new OS is going to explode on the new PM's and every other mac. I think Apple is doing a fine job of living up to everybody's expectations.

For what I do, the new PM's are truely fast enough, I mean how much speed do the average user need to do email and word processing.

...over and out. :p

Yep, maybe I won't upgrade this time (more to do with dinheiro than anything)... but I wouldn't mind one.

I tend to think the industry I'm in pushes the Mac hardware (web development and print and interactive design)... as I've already to stated today, I run my work on a day-to-day basis on a G4 466, and it's doing very well thank you... now if I was to be using even the dual 887 machine... whoa, loverly.:D

One of the postive aspects of the new G4 powermac is that its speed has increased a lot. Dual 1.25 GHz might not seem like that great of a speed bump, but it is when coupled with the faster RAM and 128 meg graphics card. I imagine this new machine would run Jaguar like a dream. :)

EDIT: I foresee big things coming next Macworld. :D

So i was gone all weekend, then had jury duty monday and tuesday. I'd get my mac fix in little does here and there but i got wednesday off and i was so excited to get caught up. Then the board was down. :eek: But now it's back and i'm better. I can't live without this board. Ok so i can but it's hard. I try to keep everyting positive and i love apple. Apple rocks and so do thier products.

Now to go post my Smart Playlists issue.

Twister

I'm always following PC hardware and the newest, fastest, most accelerated hardware is currently always on the PC first. If you are a hardware geek then the mac is not for you.

But that's not why I have a mac.

I have a mac because I'm a computer user. I was ready to abandon the mac a year and a half ago but the only thing that kept me an apple customer was OS X.

I didn't care about all the new G4s coming out back then, or whatever new hardware gadgets were coming out. I also didn't give a crap about whatever was brand new on PCs.

All that kept me on board was OS X.

Software.

I say again and again, that hardware makes no difference in this world to a computer user. Hardware is irrelevant. The greatest hardware in the world is just sand and plastic without software.

Windows is a far better system than OS 9 even though it doesn't look or feel as good. I'll never reconcile that point.

But OS X is everything I wanted. A beautiful OS that was not Windows, and better than Windows.

All this talk about DDR Ram and the faster system bus and complaints about apple not having the latest hardware is all BS. Bad software will slow you down 10 times more than the SLOWEST hardware configuration ever could. All those hardware specs don't matter when it comes to the user experience. And that's why we're Apple customers.

Frankly, the only things that really matter are the beefy graphic cards and Quartz Extreme (and improvements to the OS). And that's all software. (Not the graphic card of course, lol.)

What's more important? QE, and 10.2, or the 167 mhz bus and DDR Ram? You gotta be kidding me right? I'd give up the 167 mhz bus in a heartbeat.

Even if Windows had P4 5 Ghz and Apple went out of business with a 1 Ghz G4, I'd use the 1 Ghz for years to come. I'd even keep it as a collectors item. I'd never keep a Windows box as a collectors item.

The coolness, ease of use, fluidity, and stability of the mac have nothing to do with hardware. It's alllll software, baby. There are of course minimum hardware requirements to support the software but Apple is way past minimum requirements.

So when you see a new and superfast or updated hardware item come out for PC and not for mac, remember that it really doesn't matter.

That being said... it IS true that all the new hardware technologies that come out is good for business and good for marketing. And it is true that Apple should always keep up and include everything possible so as to have an awesome marketing campaign and feature set. A DDR bus IS better than an SDR bus. 1.5 Ghz is better than 1 Ghz. And it's really nice when the hardware envelope is pushed and gets people buying computers and gets more people switching to mac.

But remember that's not what makes a mac a mac.

solrac, i believe that is the single most eloquent post i have ever seen from you. thank you for putting it just like it is for most of us.

(although i did like my os 9 before X appeared :D )

just wanted to say thanks to Ed for this topic....very refreshing!!!

(btw...i wrote this on "Ink"...very cool)

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
solrac, i believe that is the single most eloquent post i have ever seen from you. thank you for putting it just like it is for most of us.

(although i did like my os 9 before X appeared :D )

Thanks Ed ;)

I know I've made lots of mac complaining posts but when it comes down to this, I know why we're here.

I wish I could buy a new 1.25 DP system. I clicked on Apple.com before I read all these complaint posts. When I read the specs for the new power mac I was drooling as I usually am, not feeling jipped.

I was dreaming of that desktop sitting here, with a GeForce 4 MX Ti and 10.2, and Quartz Extreme.

I think Apple will make a lot of sales with it.

It's basically, Xserve architecture in the PowerMac. It's a completely acceptable line of towers.

I feel like I've got something to contribute here too..

I purchased less than two weeks ago a dual 1ghz g4.
I'm not upset that new models have come out two weeks later, I'm not upset that the price has dropped $1000 here in Australia for the model I bought. I'm not even upset by having to pay $40aud for an update to OS X.

All in all, the mac has already surpassed my expectations in operation, development and user friendliness.

I am a long time windows user/developer as well as freebsd admin/developer. OS X fits me perfectly. I dual cpu machine with reasonable speed fits me perfectly, as does the great unix based os with such a wonderful graphical interface.

I've just got nothing to complain about. I think that the new macs will no doubt make a few more of the pc/windows users sit up and take notice.. I think the new machines are probably just right to spark the interest of those that haven't been exposed to apple before.. For the hard core out there, I am sure there are bigger things in the pipeline. Just takes a little patience to wait for it. Thats the way I look at it.. My dual 1Ghz will make a great training ground/development platform for some time to come. I'm satisified with my investment and I'd recommended these amazing machines to anyone.

If people need a reason to switch, there are plenty, and now seems to be the best time to get into something which has so many positives going for it.

JokerZ

Well, it sure makes a difference to some points of the performance but I look at the new powermacs like being the last step before moving to a new processor, so I'm wondering what's next and that's cool. I'm really anxious to see the next-generation pro mac! *really!*

solrac(and others), that might sound weird but

Without hating Apple, we can be disappointed and even kinda angry at how slow the progress is, and still like the software..

It's my case in a way and not really in another. I love Apple, I would never switch to PC unless Apple's hardware really became ridiculous (but it's not, new powermacs are pretty decent). I'm disapppointed at how slow the progress is but I think it's mostly Motorola's fault rather than Apple's. In fact I'm a little more than disappointed, sometimes unhappy but I'm not whining about it.

I still believe Apple can release an awesome pro machine in the "near" future. As far as I know, they're leaving Motorola and this alone should help a lot and as far as I understood, if they get to use IBM Power4 chip, they would come close if not equal or better than the best PCs in terms of performance, am I right? I am no tech geek therefore don't understand much of the chip specs and such, that's why i'm asking. :rolleyes:

All this just to say I still believe in Apple and think I/we might just be amazed by the next-generation powermac, whenever it releases! (I'd hope in early 2003 :) )

Solrac: Great. I've always tried to argue - the usual way - that productivity is much higher on the Mac than on a Windows PC. This was never an easy thing to accomplish, as people who don't want to hear about that, just don't hear about that.

Your point that a bad operating environment with bad software costs more than a few hundred MHz is very easy to understand.

About 'the next PowerMac to come' (in answer to above post), it seems sure that the next Mac in need of improvement is the PowerBook, then the iBook, the iMac and, at last, the PowerMac. While there have been rumours that the PowerBooks won't be updated before January, I'd strongly suggest an earlier time point. AppleExpo Paris or Seybold - or just any day in October, November.

What I don't understand is how so many people thought a 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 GHz lineup (with only the top being dual processor) would have made them happy, but the new lineup with all dual processors doesn't seem to. Do they really believe they could make out a big difference between a dual 1.4 and a dual 1.25? Plus they're exactly NOT the people BUYING the top machine - they should be more than happy to get a dual 867 instead of a single 1000. Well, time for work now.

Originally posted by fryke
Do they really believe they could make out a big difference between a dual 1.4 and a dual 1.25? Plus they're exactly NOT the people BUYING the top machine - they should be more than happy to get a dual 867 instead of a single 1000.[/B]

It's funny that the ones who complain most are the ones who don't even have the money to get the stuff. This is because the wealthy mac users are professional employed people and they are too busy.

It's the mac geeks (like me) who just watch but never buy that always complain because we have to go through our lives everyday hearing about how PCs are better. So when Apple seems to fall behind we all get crazy. Even though we're not even buying one.

And these days, Windows and Windows products have caught up a lot in software, and it's harder to show how Apple rocks in software than it used to be. So the only easy way to say one computer is better than another is with hardware.

I never do that. I always talk about my software. If some PC geek says that my Powerbook is only 400 mhz I just say I don't really give a sh*t because I can edit my music library in iTunes faster on a 400 mhz mac than I could on a 999999999 Thz PC. (just one example.)

Anyway, I hope to surpass the mac geek level this year and actually make a lot of money and become a professional mac worker person. Then I won't have time to post this here because I'll be working or spending my free time off the computer, and I won't care about what PC geeks say because I'll be getting laid.

-Carlos-

If the amount of money you make gets too high, you'll need time on this board in order _not_ to get laid _all_ the time.

Back