The Ultimate Supergroup?

CaptainQuark

93 93/93
So you're the ultimate power in the music industry… Your first task is to put together the ultimate supergroup. What would it be?

Here's mine, a band that would be called
Salvation Dreameth:
Vocals: Daniel Gildenlöw Pain of Salvation
Guitars: John Petrucci Dream Theater & Mikael Åkerfeldt Opeth
Bass: Kristoffer Gildenlöw (now sadly no longer with Pain of Salvation :( )
Keyboards: Per Wiberg Opeth (somebody hanged Jordan Rudess! ::ha:: )
Percussion: Johan Langell Pain of Salvation
Drums: Mike Portnoy Dream Theater

So pretty much an Opeth/Pain of Salvation/Dream Theater side project, then!

Wow, i have absolutely NO IDEA who any of those people are :p

My problem is either its modern music and so all electronic for me and almost everyone is just on computers:
like perhaps
Peter Kruder from Kruder & Dorfmeister
J Swinscoe, maestro of the Cinematic Orchestra
Tord Gustavsen (Jazz pianist on ECM label- the lone instrumentalist)
Whoever the hell Quantic turns out to be
Espen Horne & Bugge Wesseltoft from that massively overlapping Nordic semi jazz scene.

Or it would be a retro/half of them are dead soul extravaganza, but half of them played together on Atlantic records at one time or another anyway, either then or later in the Blues Brothers.

Incredibly tough, this one!

OK, Don't have a name and will change my mind in about 5 mins but here goes:

Neil Peart (Rush) or Stewart Copeland (ex-Police) on drums.
Pete Trewavas (Marillion) or Geddy Lee (Rush) on Bass.
Mark Kelly (Marillion) or Richard Wright (Floyd) on keyboards
David Gilmour (Floyd) or Steve Rothery (Marillion) on guitars
(Or both!)
Steve Hogarth (Marillion) or (almost anyone from my music collection) on vocals.

Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips
Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters/Nirvana
Black Francis & Joey Santiago of The Pixies
Roger Waters of Pink Floyd

...and Jimi Hendrix, reanimated... ;)

I just don't see Åkerfeldt and Petrucci going together very well, they just seem to have completely different styles to me. Both are excellent players... just not together I think.

I really hope you have seen Opeth play live... it is simply amazing. They are so tight you could almost swear that it was a recording. They are also so laid back when they are on the stage. When Mikael addresses the crowd he doesn't do that lame growly voice which most metal bands do, he just talks normally and is quite funny. I don't mind the growlies in the music, I do it my self, I just think its lame when people talk with it.

Dream Theater is very good live too, but I enjoyed Opeth much more.

As far as my supergroup goes... I don't even know... there are so many good players, it's too hard to choose just a few.

HateEternal said:
I just don't see Åkerfeldt and Petrucci going together very well, they just seem to have completely different styles to me. Both are excellent players... just not together I think.
Well, I guess we all have our own opinions… Yes, the styles are very different, but the combination of the various artists is intended to correct what, IMHO, are the relative weaknesses in each band.

Petrucci is masterless as a guitarist, but Mikael Åkerfeldt has a heavier sound. The combination of the two should provide the perfect blend of skill and heavy.

The hardest part of the crew list of Salvation Dreameth was the choice of drummer. Portnoy is, again, masterless, but listening carefully to a track such as "Her Voices" from Pain of Salvation's "Perfect Element" album, not to mention "Martius / Nauticus II" from the album "Be", reveals Johan Langell as a drummer of incredible talent, which is why I later added him as "percussionist" – skill like that cannot be ignored!

Sadly, the years have taken their toll, so I no longer fancy the idea of being surrounded by spotty youths moshing wildly all around me. ;) As a result, I have dropped out of the concert-going routine. By way of compensation, I bought the "Lamentations" DVD, but was strangely disappointed by their live performance compared with their studio recordings.

My 20-year-old son (Xlator, who occasionally visits this forum) is also a big Opeth fan. He caught them in concert in Göteborg last year and thouht they were excellent. Maybe they were just having an "off" day when they recorded "Lamentations".

In what ways did you think the Lamentations DVD was lacking? I thought it was pretty amazing, a few mess ups here and there but for the most part I thought it was really tight and the sound was awesome. I wish I could get a live sound like that...

Compared with their studio recordings, their live performance just seemed a bit flat and lacklustre. All bands make the odd mistake performing live, but there seemed to be too many, as though they hadn't quite rehearsed enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Opeth, but it just wasn't there. If I were to try to convert a 'non-believer' to the ways of Opeth, then the "Lamentations" DVD wouldn't be the weapon of choice.

Mind you, it's difficult for a Progmaniac Metalhead to concentrate on the proggishness of Opeth when I have hardcore Death Metal driving it's blood-dripping spear through my head! (Said hardcore Death Metal, of course, being a certain track called "On Whims of War" by a certain band by the name of "Burial of an Era". 10/10 for putting the link to your band site in your sig. I've d/l:ed the demo tracks and given 'em a whirl.) BUT IT JUST AIN'T PROG!

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I can't hack changing music styles in the middle of the day, and I've been listening to Prog all day. I'll nominate tomorrow as a Death Metal Day and give your demo tracks another spin.

Initial reaction (whilst wearing my Prog hat)? Good – a bit speed for my current mood (I can't hack anything much faster than Hypocrisy right now). But with a fresh pair of ears in the morning, it'll be just the thing for helping get this damned book off to print!)

Is it just me or do the Swedes do metal better than anyone else? Looking through iTunes, about 80% of all the bands I have in my playlist are Swedish!

I can see that this one is gonna run & run!
headbang2.gif

And anyway – you haven't posted your Supergroup yet…

Haha! Glad you checked out the tunes. They are pretty old. We started recording a new disc last(!!!!!) January, its been way held up in the mixing stage. It's hard when you have 4 guys that work/go to school and then add the producer/engineer as a full time worker as well. Some day it will be done... some day... At this point we are really ready to record another one. Our newer stuff is a lot more technical, maybe more proggy even. I like the new stuff a lot more because there are some parts written by our bassist which tend to be a little more melodic.

Anyways, my super group... hah I spent an hour last night looking through my collection and didn't really make much progress.

Right now I'm thinking...
Guitar 1 - Peter Lake from Theory In Practice - I just love the stuff he comes up with. So technical and involving.
Guitar 2 - Mikael Åkerfeldt - I know I gave you a hard time about two different guitar styles but you made a good point. Peter is the master of the fast and heavy and Mikael hits my melodic but also heavy spot.
Vocals - Mikael Åkerfeldt - I just love his versatility, both guttural and clean vocals just make me shiver
Bass - Lars K. Norberg from Spiral Achitect - Dude has a really sweet sound and plays some awesome bass parts.
Drums – I have no clue – I spent a long time listening to a few of my favorite bands last night trying to pick out my favorite drummer. I know lots of technically good drummers, but I can't seem to find the one that has a drumming style that stands out.

Don't try and make me come up with a name... I'm just terrible at that.

My musical tastes are really all over the place. For the most part it just has to be really interesting and not bore me, I have a really short attention span when it comes to music. Opeth is one of the only bands that can write a slow song that grabs my attention. I agree, the swedes have the metal thing down. Most of my collection is Swedish as well, and if not Swedish, European at the least. I do get into some American Death Metal bands, there are a lot of bad ones (Cannibal Corpse) and I tend to stay away from gore. However, bands like Deeds of Flesh and Suffocation kick my ass. They really had some awesome stuff in the late 80's when everyone else was wearing tights.

You should give me some suggestions of good prog bands. My collection is so tired, I haven't gotten anything new in too long.

Good prog, huh? We could be here all day!

If you like Opeth (classified as Progressive Death Metal on Rockdetector, the second best site on the interweb after MacOSX.com) and play yourself in a Death Metal band then you might find some of, what IMHO is the best prog, a tad pedestrian, but here goes.

My absolute fave band is Pain of Salvation. I've mentioned them in previous posts on this thread. Awesome! And their lyrics aren't all about death, etc, but about things like the nature of God and humanity and humanity's destruction of the planet – mind you loads of prog metal bands are considered to be "angst-ridden".

(I once worked with a journalist who said that he was dying to be able to include the word "angst" in one of his articles, but had never found the right occasion. Personally, I prefer the Swedish word "ångest". It allows far more "angst to be expressed when saying it.)

Another good band is Redemption, but avoid at all costs their first eponymous album, as it is seriously cr@p! Their second, The Fullness of Time is a masterpiece! Again, much about human nature, but with a goodly dose of politics, international relations (well, Iraq, at least) and many references to 9/11.

Throne of Chaos may be more to your liking. Finnish Prog Death, although they are more Death than Prog, whereas I think that Opeth are more Prog than Death.

Shadow Gallery are excellent too. A touch of jazz influence in some of their riffs.

If you need more inspiration, check out Progulus Radio. It uses mp3pro, which isn't supported by iTunes so you'll need to download Audion or similar that supports the mp3pro protocol. You can use iTunes, but it sounds as though it's a 56K stream – i.e. a bit sh1t!

On the subject of good prog, I'm constantly expanding my horizons and trying to find new artists whose music interests me. And here's a cracker!

http://www.subjectruin.net/music.htm

A guy called JT Bruce (no, I've never heard of him before either) has released an album called Anomalous Material.

Difference between this and any other album release? This is covered by a Creative Commons License, which means that, as long as you credit the artist, don't change the music, etc, you can download it for free!

And believe me, if you like prog, you'll like this!

Let me introduce the Prog Rockers

Bass Stanley Clarke
Keys/Vox Kate Bush
Drums Keith Moon
Guitar Jeff Beck
Sax & lead Vox Bowie (70s version)

hennessymac said:
Let me introduce the Prog Rockers

Bass Stanley Clarke
Keys/Vox Kate Bush
Drums Keith Moon
Guitar Jeff Beck
Sax & lead Vox Bowie (70s version)

With ya all the way – until you came to Jeff Beck…
:eek:
:p

…but there's no such thing as a right or wrong answer on this thread. :D

Back