The Windows Forum

Originally posted by arden
I think the term "Recycling Bin" is misleading because when you recycle a product, you give it up for reuse. There, Androo has a point: the casual, inexperienced user is likely to think, "Recycle? It's going to come back?"

And I think Androo was using XP on VPC.

As for the burning issue, Neyo, open up your copy of Toast (Lite or Titanium) and drag all the files that you want to burn into it, and arrange them as desired (it works just like a regular Finder window; in fact, better!). Call the CD what you will, rename files what you want them burned as, order them, etc. Then, you can save this CD and burn it later. Toast is much better than the built-in CD burning in either OS.

Yea, i guess thats a good point, about the bin, although i cannot really think of anyone who on Windows, drags things to the bin, they usually right click them, and hit delete. So the ties with common lifestyles aren't so apparent. But yes, i guess there could be confusion, but it does seem a little far fetched.

About toast though. Although i never said this, i was specifically talking the "OS, out of the box". I know all about toast, and yes, it sure does beat Finder for burning Data and all other formats, but saying that ... Nero kinda kills toasts, BADLY... Thats if we were to bring in 3rd Party applications. :(

"Recycle Bin" for deleting files does at least make more sense than pressing "Start" to shut down the PC. ;-)

I use a Pentium 4 running WinXP at work, and I'm not overly fond of the way it operates. It is annoying having to guide users through five or - in some cases - as many as seven menu or control panel levels to change a minor setting such as a DNS server address.

The thing that annoys me the most though is that clicking a link from another program will open a webpage in any old Internet explorer window rather than creating a new window, usually the one that has a real useful page in it!

Then, there's the thoroughly annoying process of setting up network settings. On WinXp, to change TCP/IP settings, you have to go into Start -> Control Panel -> Network connections -> Select Internet Protocol and click "properties" -> Some settings are here, but for most of them you'll need to click "Advanced".

If my clients were usings Macs, I could talk them through checking TCPIP settings in about a quarter the time.

And what were they thinking when they came up with the "System" control panel? I mean, thats pretty general and it seems to have just about everything in it that doesn't fit in anywhere else, and a whole lotta settings that any civilised OS would automate rather than put into the hands of users.

I think the term "Recycling Bin" is misleading because when you recycle a product, you give it up for reuse. There, Androo has a point: the casual, inexperienced user is likely to think, "Recycle? It's going to come back?"

It is! Or rather, it can.

Microsoft named it the Recycling Bin because

A. Recycling is better for the environment, you stupid wasteful mac people ;)
and
B. It's sort of how windows handles the deletion of files and such.

See, when you delete something in windows, it doesn't go away at first. It just hides itself until you save more to the hard drive, then it's overwritten. You can delete something and then bring it back via the command prompt quite easily (refer to google on how to do this, I don't remember).

Well, when you delete a file, all you delete is its place in the directory, not the actual data. That's how the Feds can recover files from peoples' computers, even after they've been deleted. To truly delete a file, you have to destroy it with a utility like Burn.

Symph: I agree, Windows has a lot of clicking one has to do to change settings, somewhat like on my Palm Pilot at times.

And Mike, Microsoft named it the Recycling Bin because they couldn't call it the Trash, since Apple already had that (where do you think they got the idea, anyway?). They couldn't call it Trash, but they could call it something else that doesn't imply reuse.

And Mike, Microsoft named it the Recycling Bin because they couldn't call it the Trash, since Apple already had that (where do you think they got the idea, anyway?). They couldn't call it Trash, but they could call it something else that doesn't imply reuse.
Are you saying that Apple has copywrites on Trash? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Question: how do you render a pc useless?

Answer: install winXP on it(or any other windows OS!)

My wife has XP installed on her pc, and it sucks smurf thru a straw!
She was able to install win98 SE on a second partition in a dual-boot config.
and it works. (as well as can be expected
for a win.xx OS)

Originally posted by g/re/p
My wife has XP installed on her pc, and it sucks smurf thru a straw!
She was able to install win98 SE on a second partition in a dual-boot config.
and it works. (as well as can be expected
for a win.xx OS)
Lovely... ::ha:: ::ha::

I've often thought about destroying people's PC's so they can't easily be fixed: open it up and scratch off some of the bus connections on the various boards inside. *BOOM* no more workey! :D

Then run like hell, of course. ;)

Back