There Seems to Be More Mac Users Lately

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I was going to post this in the Miscellaneous section but, apparently, there isn't one anymore, sooooo...

Is it just me or are you all seeing more and more Mac users every day? Seems like every time I go out to public hotspots, there are way more people with Apple computers than there used to be. Used to be coffeehouses all full of people with clunky-ass PCs (I was one of them) ... and they would all be fighting over the outlets because PCs' batteries only last about, what, an hour? LOL

Seriously though, there do seem to be more Mac users. What do you guys think?

Well, it is true... that the Mac market share is growing, especially when it comes to the portable figures. It makes sense that you are seeing more. I don't frequent any hot spots, so I can't vouch for locally, but indeed it is a positive trend.

Definitely increasing. I see it on general discussion forums. Used to be that I'd see a question like "how do I import movies from a camcorder?" and I would (tongue in cheek) reply "easy, just launch iMovie." That would usually start a torrent of abuse from the OP who was obviously a Windows user. But now I often get "Uh, thanks. Of course. Hadn't even noticed it was installed!"

It seems that since the Intel switch that a lot of people are purchasing Macs. I wonder if it has to do a lot with the fact that they can still run Windows on their Intel Macs (probably mainly through Parallels) which makes it much easier to transition from Windows to Mac OS X. I had never seen this number of people switch over before the Intel switch.

I was going to post this in the Miscellaneous section but, apparently, there isn't one anymore, sooooo...

Is it just me or are you all seeing more and more Mac users every day? Seems like every time I go out to public hotspots, there are way more people with Apple computers than there used to be. Used to be coffeehouses all full of people with clunky-ass PCs (I was one of them) ... and they would all be fighting over the outlets because PCs' batteries only last about, what, an hour? LOL

Seriously though, there do seem to be more Mac users. What do you guys think?

I've seen it to, most of my friends have macbooks.

And about half of the people at my work (using PCs as main platform, half use native Windows and half use Windows as a Workstation virtual machine under Linux) are thinking of getting one .. or have one.
It's also interesting that before the Intel switch, there were so many mac zealots out there who were loudly screaming that they would never touch Windows. And now they have Boot Camp, Fusion, or Parallels and are running Windows...
Can't wait to have a proper Mac OS X Server running in Workstation ;)

GIa, they prbably wouldn't have touched Windows back in the day because the only options were:
  1. Buy a PC and run Windows
  2. Run Windows slowly under emulation on PPC

The third issue is that Windows XP either didn't exist or wasn't mature enough. Then again, there was Windows 2000 but end users weren't really using that version.

I think most of the people who said they'd never use Windows still don't. I doubt many Mac users who don't need to use Windows (like for their job) use it at all.

When I get an Intel Mac, I probably will install some version of Windows eventually. Right now I have Windows 98 on Virtual PC. It's on a DVD somewhere. A few times a year I fish it out to test some apps I've made with REALbasic for Windows users. I imagine I'll use Windows in Parallels in the same, limited capacity. It just won't crush my soul quite as much as it does in Virtual PC. ;)

Since the Intel launch I have had about 8 people in my program come to Me because they know I am a long time Mac user. I didn't even try to push Macs on the them. Plus these people are involved in the purchasing for the program I work on.

The tide is most definitely changing. OS X server is even on the edge of a break through and the next few years Apple will have a business division that will be coming on strong.

Long time Windows server administrators are looking at OX Server very seriously now for the simple fact of money savings. Microsoft is pricing itself right out of the market.

I do plan to get a MacBook Pro, but I don't know that I would even then install Windows. It just doesn't appeal to me. I would probably have it run GNU/Linux or FreeBSD just to tinker around. I already do a lot of my work on my work laptop under Ubuntu and it suits me fine, but for personal use I just have to have the Mac. And since lately I've been tinkering around with Darwin/x86, I would like to do that on a portable with a nice GUI when I need to get things done as opposed to just tinkering with Darwin/x86 on a VM. I might do Windows because of games, but Windows just rubs me the wrong way even when I'm just using it at work (thank God for PuTTY and SSH).

Your thoughts are not verified facts. You have hidden facts to verify your post? If so, please post them.

Further; what difference would that make in our lives? :confused:

The implication is subject to the question: Which OS the the worlds leading OS? Maybe there is a reason Gates is worth how much versus Jobs, and the reason would be ... ... ?

Long time Windows server administrators are looking at OX Server very seriously now for the simple fact of money savings. Microsoft is pricing itself right out of the market.

Just out of curioity, does OS X Server support PHP?

Hello you wonderful people! I'm new here and pretty new to the whole Apple thing. I recently bought my first Apple, new iMac 20", 2.4 GHz.

Someone in this thread mentioned earlier that this huge amount of Windows users switch to Mac OS X has something to do with the fact that Apple started using Intel processors... well, I believe for some people that was exactly the reason... but in my case, the only reason I switched to Mac (running Leopard BTW) is because I simply got fed up with Vista's numerous problems and MS not doing anything to fix them. It was on my way of doing my business properly and when something is on my way, either I remove it out of my way, or I simply choose the other direction. In this case it was hopeless and there is simply nothing you can do until MS releases those patches. People paid so much money for that OS, and still there is no updates... MS promised there will be some coming around the late mid of the next year ?!! C'mon... that's not professional at all.

I have to say I am unbelievable happy with OS X, no adjustment time wasted at all... as soon as I started using it, I felt like home. Every single task I have to do, I do it enjoying this wonderful OS. No obstacles in my way. Simply wonderful ! Never ever going to go back to Windows, that's for sure.

Oh, to go back for a second... idea that many people switched to Mac because of the Intel architecture inside... well, I bought Leopard, and I got this BootCamp with it... yet, I never ever got even slightest idea to install Windows on another partition. I ran away from it, why would I need it here now ? ;)

Cheers!

Your thoughts are not verified facts. You have hidden facts to verify your post? If so, please post them.

The implication is subject to the question: Which OS the the worlds leading OS? Maybe there is a reason Gates is worth how much versus Jobs, and the reason would be ... ... ?

wtf are you talking about???? :)

Hello you wonderful people! I'm new here and pretty new to the whole Apple thing. I recently bought my first Apple, new iMac 20", 2.4 GHz.

Congratulations and welcome to light side of the force.;)

I urge new Mac users to buy David Pogue's Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual (even though it is not out until December). His Missing Manuel series is very helpful and very easy reads. The books are most definitely helpful to most any new OS X user.

I urge new Mac users to just try things out, trash stuff, mess with the system and then, after a week, reinstall everything from the get-go and try again, this time with a head-start.

I urge new Mac users to just try things out, trash stuff, mess with the system and then, after a week, reinstall everything from the get-go and try again, this time with a head-start.

WHAT? :eek:

Why??? LOL

What on Earth is this person talking about? LOL

Back