There Seems to Be More Mac Users Lately

Do you think Microsoft time in the sun is running out?

Clearly, it is. While Apple, Google and others are all innovating like crazy, Microsoft has continued to try and push its same old business model. They still pin their hopes on a new version of the OS (Vista) and Office suite (Office 2008) that have been supporting their business model for twenty years. With the EU and US Dept of Justice forcing them to adopt open standards, they can no longer protect this side of their business.

Vista uptake is the slowest of any new Windows version in Microsoft's history. Firefox is now being installed by more people each day than Internet Explorer, and will overtake it in a couple of years.

Even in relatively new business units, such as XBox, they're not actually trying anything new; just more high-tech versions of the old business model - the XBox 360 might be a new system, but it costs the same to produce and sells at the same price, with the same license fees on games and accessories as its predecessor.

When all else fails, they copy what everyone else is already doing and tend to fail miserably because they come in with too little, too late. Can you say Zune anyone?

So yes, I'd say Microsoft has been withering away for some time. They're being overtaken by open source and by companies with new ideas and ways of delivering IT products to market.

Last edited:
Lately and in a few instances people told me they are switching to Mac because Vista is not attracting them. One of those people is my cousin who was a die-hard PC girl. She did not care for Vista, and went to the Mac. Of course she said, "should have done this long-time ago." LOL!!!

I switched just about the same time as vista's lanch but i did switch because of it. I switched because i was sick and tired of using the window start button and task bar GUI.
The fact that I don't have upgarde to vista is just a bonus

Amie you should look at MacOSXHints sometimes. There are some great terminal hints that really extended OS X so much it is even funny.

Well, yeah. But, like Fryke said, messing with Terminal can result in a catastrophe. (And I'm probably one of those people who would get that result. LOL)

symphonix said:
Clearly, it is. While Apple, Google and others are all innovating like crazy, Microsoft has continued to try and push its same old business model. They still pin their hopes on a new version of the OS (Vista) and Office suite (Office 2008) that have been supporting their business model for twenty years. With the EU and US Dept of Justice forcing them to adopt open standards, they can no longer protect this side of their business.

Vista uptake is the slowest of any new Windows version in Microsoft's history. Firefox is now being installed by more people each day than Internet Explorer, and will overtake it in a couple of years.

Even in relatively new business units, such as XBox, they're not actually trying anything new; just more high-tech versions of the old business model - the XBox 360 might be a new system, but it costs the same to produce and sells at the same price, with the same license fees on games and accessories as its predecessor.

When all else fails, they copy what everyone else is already doing and tend to fail miserably because they come in with too little, too late. Can you say Zune anyone?

So yes, I'd say Microsoft has been withering away for some time. They're being overtaken by open source and by companies with new ideas and ways of delivering IT products to market.

Excellent post.

Vista is really killing microsoft right now. It's a matter of security winning out over freedom.

Mac's marketshare, I hear, has risen from 4-5 to about 8%. Not sure if that counts the sheer ubiquity of the ipod...Macs are easy to use and they have consistent interfaces.
People began getting ticked off with Microsoft before Vista. When they introduced that Genuine Advantage, they began ticking off people, and Vista has simply ticked off more people. I do not want to use Vista. I got a Mac to begin getting used to doing things with it before my PC broke down, and I would have to go to Mac entirely.

It's actually rather disadvantageous.

Yes, just to clarify, Windows Genuine Advantage detects and counts hardware changes. After a certain number of changes have been detected (eg: you've added RAM, swapped a video card, etc) it decides that you're on a different computer and requires you to prove that you're a legitimate user again. Often, this involves getting online or on the phone and once again providing proof of purchase and license keys, mother's maiden name, date of birth, yoghurt preference, and retinal scan.

I know plenty of Windows users who still can't believe that Apple ship their OS with no serial numbers or copy protection - and yet Apple users are much more likely to have legitimate software. The reason; we don't need to jump through hoops to make our systems work. If I have five-hundred Macs, and five-hundred licenses for the OS, I can boot from any OS disc in any manner and in any location and Apple won't try to stop me.

Yes, just to clarify, Windows Genuine Advantage detects and counts hardware changes. After a certain number of changes have been detected (eg: you've added RAM, swapped a video card, etc) it decides that you're on a different computer and requires you to prove that you're a legitimate user again.
That is activation, which was a requirement of Windows XP before Genuine Advantage came along. Genuine Advantage wants to make sure that you have a non-pirated version of XP by checking the Product Key. The part that really annoyed people was that some versions of it would contact Microsoft every day and report to them. Now I believe that it only reports every two weeks. It is still ridiculous. Your OS was not pirated today, but it might be tomorrow, or two weeks from now?

Well I was an absolutely dedicated PC man for over 25 years, would never consider a mac but recently saw my music teacher running an old G4 with some music s/w I wanted (Logic). Now I own an iMac 20" 2.4Ghz and I LOVE IT!! I never thought I would be a mac convert but this OSX makes Windows look like its stuck in the 1980s. I'm now preaching to all my PC friends to get a mac!!

Now if only I could get the mouse to respond like my pc, that's my only real gripe. And yes, I have Steermouse but it just isn't the same. Oh and I still cant figure how to get the cursor to jump to the end of a line (I have the wireless k/bd)

Oh and I still cant figure how to get the cursor to jump to the end of a line (I have the wireless k/bd)

That is because kids today (like yourself :) ) are afraid of the keyboard. Command key+right arrow key will do that for you.

Ah its a long time since I been called a kid!! (48 yrs) Many thanks for the hint, it saved me a lot of editing time already!

Back