They stole our Duck!!

The duck is Microsoft "Innovation" in it's purest form (see how it is reversed).;)

if both Apple and Microsoft both buy it from Photodisc.

That doesn't excuse everything XP that is a direct rip from OSX though.

Actually Clarus is part of the default OS X install. Back in March, after installing 10.0, I spent some time browsing through all those exotic new directories... and I came along an image of Clarus the Dogcow.... Don't remember the exact path to that file (and don't have time to go looking for it right now) - if only I had written down that path... (damn). (If someone finds Clarus again, please post the path here.)

A friend of mine installed it on his computer. He said it was slow as hell and he's going back to Window ME.

XP does have some nice features to it. The multi-user stuff is pretty blown out compared to OSX but for the most part, it seems like just another facelift.

I'm sure all of Miscrosoft's XP graphics designers either:

a) use a Macintosh to do thier work

b) have a Macitosh at home that they use whenever they are not at work

c) learned thier art on a Macintosh even though they don't own/use one at this moment in their lives

I always wonder how it is possible for someone to know how much better the Mac is, and still work for Microsoft. Take the MacBU for example: they always say they are Mac fanatics (and I'm sure they are) and that they want to create great Mac software... I don't understand why they don't go work at some other more Mac-oriented software house then.

You guys keep talking about XP as if you've actually tried it. From what I can tell from reading your posts, it's obvious that none of you have ever touched the OS.

First of all, to the person who said that XP was slow and that his friend would return to ME I say 'laugh' considering Windows ME is probably the biggest load of garbage ever created and while it's fast for gaming, its constant and unexplainable crashes wouldn't make anyone ANYWHERE want to return to it.

As for XP overshadowing 2000, I agree to it. XP's skinning comes as a result of the increasing amount of PC software that is skinnable. It's something that a lot of people will play around with. However, XP is basically 2000 with a few additional programs. It's not that groundbreaking as an OS.

A lot of people are saying it's a rip of XP and this and that is ripped off. What's the proof? A duck? XP is built on 2000, not BSD. XP runs just like 2000, not BSD. XP still runs the majority of software made for 9x at full-speed, not in emulation mode. XP doesn't have useless and strictly aesthetic features like magnification. Basically, XP is an improvement (albeit not a necessary one), over an existing product whereas Mac OS X is a complete overhaul of the Apple OS (again, not a necessary one but rather Apple's response to an imaginary demand for Unix stability).

Before making any kind of judgments, it might be a good idea to actually get some facts straight. Microsoft stealing a picture of a rubber ducky doesn't make XP a complete rip-off of MacOSx.

A message to GrandHighOne:

Jooooeee, hoe gaat die in wenduine? Eindelijk nog es ne belg op deze forum.. ké, dan zijn we mé 2, jeah!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're all fault! The duck is an Adobe Photoshop product (hehe), no really... It is. It isn't from apple, it isn't from Photodisc, it isn't from microsoft... It's just Adobe! And Adobe ROCKS!

seNNe

Originally posted by senne
A message to GrandHighOne:

Jooooeee, hoe gaat die in wenduine? Eindelijk nog es ne belg op deze forum.. k, dan zijn we m 2, jeah!

seNNe

Hij gaat behoorlijk goed: golfslag is nogal wild, denk dat ik straks eens ga zwemmen... (ik hoop dat je weet dat Wenduine een kustdorp is?)

Hint: ik zou misschien je .sig een beetje inkorten, het is meer iets voor Amerikanen om alles nogal _groots_ te zien (2 of 3 lijntjes zouden moeten volstaan IMO, om laadtijd van paginas beetje in te korten voor modem-gebruikers)

---

Non-Dutch-speaking people: senne asked me how I was doing, he was glad to see another Belgian on this forum...

Rest assured: we'll use English in future posts...

Interested in languages here:
Does belgium have a "unique" language..i.e. belgian or does it speak dutch + french ?

Admiral

Originally posted by sLimey
You guys keep talking about XP as if you've actually tried it. From what I can tell from reading your posts, it's obvious that none of you have ever touched the OS.

We have XP. Not the final but somewhere in beta land. My company pays the thousands of dollars to be on the Microsoft Developer Network so we can make apps that are ready by the time it comes out. Never mind that we only ever use Win2k and IIS.

First of all, to the person who said that XP was slow and that his friend would return to ME I say 'laugh' considering Windows ME is probably the biggest load of garbage ever created and while it's fast for gaming, its constant and unexplainable crashes wouldn't make anyone ANYWHERE want to return to it.

Well I didn't say he was smart. This same person built his computer and tried to overclock it but bought the wrong heatsink. Think you can use any heatsink? You can't. He cracked the corner of his Duron when he powered up his computer. Boo hoo.

Back