Things I may lose upgrading from Tiger to Leopard

rmccafferty

Registered
I am relatively new to Macs and am concerned about what I will lost if we upgrade out Mac mini server from Tiger to leopard. There was a time when new Apple computers were not backward compatible, certainly Microsoft upgrades always have issues. Thus I have fear for performing an upgrade from Tiger to Leopard on our server without knowing what we are in for.

I looked at some of the discussion threads here and elsewhere. I see a lot of minutiae but none that would be an issue to me. Then again, no one seems to put out a publication (including/especially Apple) that say here are the possible drawbacks.

I guess our biggest concern in our existing data. Are there any types of document formats that we will no longer be able to read?

I assume Office, Photoshop and those types of programs will be fine as surely the publishers have issues the necessary updates. Is that correct?

Are there any mainstream issues that could come as a surprise to us and present serious problems?

Thank you,
Robert

When you upgrade from Tiger to Leopard DO NOT use the standard upgrade precess. When install Leopard use the Archive & Install process because in the old Mac user opinion is this is the best short of an erase and install. The once you are in Leopard use something like AppFresh to update you applications for Leopard.

Be warned! The 10.4 plug-in Application Enhancer will cause the leopard upgrade to FAIL! So deinstall it before the upgrade to save a big headache.

I think it's certainly appropriate to be cautious when upgrading. Are you running the server version of Tiger? I have heard a lot of good things about Leopard Server. You may also want to post in the OS X Server forum here on MacOSX.com. Ask the people who hang out in there what issues they've encountered.

Good luck!
D

Robert; you will lose any games or apps. supported by classic on upgrade to leopard. i.e.> falcon 4.0 flight sim; podchaser game[starwars} etc. etc. there are no patches or upgrades for a lot of these games etc.
dickster---------------------------------------------

Back