Think Secret: "Apple Planning Intel iBook Debut for January?"

Speculations have long begun. Previously rumoured: intel Mac minis and PowerBooks in January...

Yes, but now it's on Think Secret. That changes everything! I officially expect Intel-based iBooks in January now. In case Apple fails to deliver, I will be in Cupertino with torch in hand. ;)

I'm not really looking for a laptop, but I might buy one at $699. I have a hard time believing they'd be that cheap, though. I also doubt they'd use dual-core chips, unless the PowerBooks also get a hefty upgrade (which could well be; dual-core G4s are said to be due early next year).

I expect Intel based Mac mini. Maybe renamed "MediaMac" or "Mac media" ?

but why?... at this early stage... even just a few months before steve jobs said they would actually start to be rolled out...

there's no app's that would run natively - im sure ilife etc would - but are apple seriously expecting users to only want to use apple software - and everything else that's needed under emulation? if thats the case then they better put a full working version of iwork on there for free too.

unless rosseta is some sort of a beast of an application that runs 'older' software like emulation never existed... apple will end up in a very real situation of 'theres no software for macs'...

there just doesnt seem be be a valid reason for bringing an intel based mac to market a full 6/7 months before they are supposed to.

rumours rumours everywhere... TS have been less than reliable recently too...

An Intel Powerbook makes more sense than an Intel iBook, doesn't it? POWERbook... Or does Intel not necessary means more power?

parb.johal@ante said:
there's no app's that would run natively - im sure ilife etc would - but are apple seriously expecting users to only want to use apple software - and everything else that's needed under emulation?
Why not? Isn't that the exact same situation as when OS X first came out?

if thats the case then they better put a full working version of iwork on there for free too.
Why would you expect a copy of iWork for free? That's ridiculous.

"Aww, man! You mean my new car doesn't have the same size wheels as my old car and I can't use my old tires on my new car? I want a 300-watt stereo system in my new car for FREE then!"

Yeah, right. You don't get something for nothing, and just because no 3rd-party developers can keep up with the transition doesn't mean that Apple owes you anything for free.

According to various reports, iWork has not been the hottest seller, so actually, Apple _might_ want to add iWork to the set. Also: AppleWorks has always been free with consumer Macs (well, not always, but for a long time!), and I'm pretty sure they _won't_ port AppleWorks to the intel platform, so it would actually make quite some sense to put iWork '06 on the first intel iBooks...

You brought up an interesting topic, fryke, concerning AppleWorks as a universal binary. I wonder what Apple will do about that? There are thousands (millions?) of people still using that, and wouldn't want to spend more money to get a product that does only presentations and word processing (if that?). They still need spreadsheets and basic database (?) and painting (? :) ). I bet they do release an update, but on second thought, AppleWorks is Carbon, and might take more work then if it were Cocoa already... Hmm we'll just have to wait and see.

iwork 06 certainly will do more than just Pages and Keynote, no? and: That they're using a very old software package that has been updated by Apple for free doesn't mean they shouldn't buy iWork in the future! It's nice of Apple that they haven't charged for any AppleWorks updates in the past... but then again: AppleWorks _always_ (for a long time, that means) was free with consumer Macs, and iWork will replace that.

ElDiabloConCaca -

so you mean to tell me... apple release an intel mac in Jan, everyone is happy... except what happens when you get an email with a word document?... ok - i'm going to buy word!... but wait... theres a version that will run under emulation... so i'll get the version that... oh wait!!! there isnt a version that doesn't yet run under emulation!!! same goes for powerpoint etc etc - lets face it - they are the de-facto formats for the proliforation of text based docs amongst office workers / students... and guess who buys ibooks...

thats why iwork should be pre-installed if there is indeed an intel mac so early on. geddit?... as far as i'm aware - none of the 'major' apps have yet been ported - so would you seriously spend your money on buying brand new software, that costs a lot of money, for it to run under emulation?!?!.

what planet would you have to be living on on the particular day you spend a couple of hundred on an application that won't even run at 100%?!?!

"During his demonstration, Jobs said translated software runs "pretty fast," though his presentation's slide said performance is "good (enough)." His demonstration computer had a 3.6GHz Pentium 4 and 2GB of memory."
- news.com

so that'll have to be a 3.6Ghz P4 with 2GB of RAM on an ibook running brand new software under emulation to get the software thats just about running 'good enough' (good luck kids!!!).

this isnt a major OS upgrade! (as in 9 - X) this is a mere hardware manufacturer change - you think the average person on the street gives a flying fcuk about a chip? i think what'll get them riled is the fact that the brand new copy of Office they just bought with their new ibook only runs "good enough"!

but you obviously think 'good enough' from brand new is... er - good enough?

"Aww, man! You mean my new £80,000 ferrari has square wheels?! THATS GREAT! - AND FILL UP THE TANK WITH CHERRY COLA! WOOP!!"

ibooks first? nope. at least with the road map that apple have announced themselves it represents a more realistic timeframe for software manufacturers.

No need for AppleWorks as OpenOffice will be available for Office fans. And iWorks will be for the creative ones that want to use something smoother.

Mikuro said:
I also doubt they'd use dual-core chips, unless the PowerBooks also get a hefty upgrade (which could well be; dual-core G4s are said to be due early next year).

Chances are we're not going to see any dual-core PowerBooks, at least not PPC ones. The DC G4 draw way too much power to be feasible in a laptop, so unless they made some miracle breakthrough with them in the past month or so (or in the very near future) I'd guess an Intel chip is going to be in the next version.

mdnky: the dual core (not dual processor, dual core) G4 is _meant_ to be in a notebook or embedded systems and does not draw too much power, but it's not coming out early in 2006, it's gonna come out rather at the _end_ of 2006 according to all information from FreeScale. Either way: We can see from Apple's most recent update round which Macs are going to be upgraded next. At least to a certain degree. And I personally believe they're going intel rather sooner than later.
iBooks and Mac mini. Then probably iMac and PowerBook in mid 2006. And later on the PowerMacs and last the Xserves. But I don't see much chance in another PowerPC update for any of the Macs.

i'd say powermac before imac. imac, at it's oldest is less than 18 months old, and even then, an all-new imac turned up last month, and it's a very good machine.. the powermac though, is the one machine they currently make the highlights the shortcomings of the g5 - it's HUGE, and occassionally very noisy due to it needing all those bloody fans and perforation (ie no soundproofing). i usually have my power set to reduced CPU, because it's painful otherwise. 2003 was nearly 3 years ago.

fryke said:
mdnky: the dual core (not dual processor, dual core) G4 is _meant_ to be in a notebook or embedded systems and does not draw too much power, but it's not coming out early in 2006, it's gonna come out rather at the _end_ of 2006 according to all information from FreeScale.

They're expecting (i.e. hoping) for 15 to 25 watts typical power usage for the dual core variants, but they're not there as of yet. We'll have to wait and see if they make their mark, but by then I'd bet money on Apple putting in the Intel processors.

Back