Thinks I don't like about 10.4

It's the opposite for me.

I installed Tiger, just for the sake of it really, but now I keep finding more and more useful stuff.

I'm loving Mail 2, Spotlight, Widgets (Screen Grab, Weather and clocks most useful for me). Safari is much much faster.

Automator is the biggest fun for me.

I'm a Web Designer, and I've created a workflow that will create a New Project Folder, with all it's subfolders, and the website folder with all its standard htm files ready for me to edit. So useful for me and saves about 20 minutes everytime I get a new project.

I'm now trying to think of all sorts of other little tricks!

perfessor101 said:
The best explanation I have found for the various levels of RAID, and their plusses and minuses is here.

So if i've got this straight.... instead of the data waiting in a queue to be written to disk, the file's split up into, say 5 and each bit is written to a seperate disk? so in theory, instead of taking the time it takes to write the full file, it takes a 5th of the time.

$5000! ha! i wish i had that much money....

For the most part, depending on how things wind up, some files will wind up entirely on one drive or the other, but you can still read in parallel faster with RAID than normal.

One thing that bugs me about Tiger is how quite a few things HOG the CPU now. They are faster, yes... but I have seen processes chew much more CPU than it used to (like copying files in the Finder). I also noticed that copying files off a disk image on a Pismo is actually slower than under Panther.

one thing i have noticed is that things were faster, and looked better in the WWDC previews....

open dashboard, plop the translater on and convert, as jobs and shiller both did, french fries into french. theirs worked like itunes search (i'm not going to say spotlight - thats not that fast) refinig the translation as fast as they could type, refreshing befor e the next keystroke. on mine it takes 15seconds to chuck out a translation after i've finished typing

I have no issue with tiger and seemed faster than Panther.It is running without any problem and so Wi-Fi. I used get finder crashing when browking a networked with PC, this does not happened any more. there are many hidden improvements and also spotlight and smart folders etc are feature which I find very useful.

I have tried Konfabulator on PC and MAC. All the widget on screen slow the system and cluster my screen, very messy. Apple did a good job my showing widget only when needed.

SC

Spotlight seems slower to me than I expected it. I think this is affected a lot by the way the icons for found items show up. The left icon column keeps refreshing when I do a search and there's that one second where there's a blank icon before the file's icon loads. If the icon was there instantly, Spotlight would seem super fast.

I also wish the result stayed the way it was originally instead of constantly changing. It's kind of annoying to type something, see that Spotlight found some things, and as soon as I start looking at it to have the result change while I'm trying to read it. I think with Quicksilver, the result just popped up instantly and it stayed the way it was.

My good wife will not let me buy Tiger. OK, so I am hen-pecked, but these MacOS X upgrades (for in effect that is what Tiger is) are perhaps a little over-priced and are testing the loyality of many Mac users who are running on tight budgets.

I know Apple have to fight hard in a very lop-sided competitive IT market, but I think the company pushes its loyal customers a little too hard.

I hope Tiger does deliver, but I will have to wait a little longer to find out.

Overall I'm happy with Tiger.

Things I'm not happy with are:

1. Graphics seem slower to me. Exposé especially runs at a lowered frame rate, so when the windows resize it looks like the video card can't handle it. It was silky smooth in Panther.

2. Live resizing of windows. This should be a user-selectable option as it chunks the crap out of my Mac sometimes, especially under DVD Player. Bad, bad idea.

3. Chunky app icons on minimized windows. I've noticed when I minimize windows the icon over the window indicating the application it is from is extremely blurry and pixellated. Terrible.

4. DVD Player uses more CPU than anything. I've noticed DVD Player hogs a LOT of CPU. I used to be able to watch a DVD and do everything else fine, now when I type in MSN Messenger every letter I type disturbs the video and audio playback!

5. CPU management. I mentioned DVD Player, both myself and my friend sometimes have the same choppy problem with iTunes when there are a lot of things open.

6. Again on DVD Player no DTS support.

Back