This is a major problem!

zippygaloo

Registered
Every day! Every hour! All the time!

I can't figure this out!

I start up OSX all fine and dandy. Then...

I'll launch internet explorer or any other web browser. Browse for a few minutes and then for no apparent reason it won't connect to anything. I can't get a new page to load, it won't refresh the page, it can't connect to any new servers. It's just dead in the water. FOR NO APPARENT REASON! Then when I try to quit the program won't quit...so I have to force quit, but even after I force quit if I launch the program it won't work. It's not like by quitting the program it triggers something to make it work again... it just won't work, that is until I RESTART MY COMPUTER! How much BS is that?!

Any help on this issue would sure be great. This seems like a cool OS but not having to restart more than in OS9 even with all the crashes.

HELP!

Two questions for you:

1) Are you using AirPort?

If yes, then;

(2) Do you have a 2.4GHz cordless phone where you use AirPort?

If you answered "NO" to either of these questions, then I'll need more info from you to troubleshoot.

Yes I have Norton AntiVirus 7.0.2 Installed and I installed the beta demo version of AntiVirus 8 two days ago. The problems have been happening for a long time now, many days prior to installing AntiVirus 8.

It's taken me two reboots just to get this reply posted.

Now what?

Ok, it may be unrelated but ... NAV has several bugs (or "features") that affect other apps (such as iTunes -- causes it to create Temp files over and over). Try seeing if you can use IE without incident in OS 9 (not classic). If you can't then it may be a Network related problem or a harddrive related problem (use Disk First Aid and/or Norton Utilities or Tech Tools to verify this, if necessary).

If IE *does* work fine under OS 9 then it is obviously a software problem that is unique to OS X side -- either a corrupt prefers file (try deleting IE prefs, clearing cache, copying your favorites to another folder and then deleting real favorites.html file (all of these files are located in your User/Library/Preferences folder. Also, try de-activing NAV (remove any apps in StartUpItems folder [in root Library folder] and make sure there are no NAV apps that boot up at Login). You can also try clean Network prefs (just make sure you know your TCP settings, etc.).

A good idea is to create a new user called "Test User". Give this used Admin privileges. Then log in under this user, set up your Network and run IE for a while and see what happens.

These are all various techniques to begin the troubleshooting process.

Good luck!

first, how does your connection and browsers work in os 9? if this is working fine, you might want to consider booting in 9 while you work on getting help for this. if it isn't thenthe problem is not with osx but probably a hardware or connectibvity problem.
second, if this isn't working in 9, try typing a reply in your word processor and cutting and pasting so that you have time to give us all the info you can think of that might help. this would include your mac model and specs, and peripheral devices - especially those in your connection network like modem, router, etc., how you conneect to the net, and how long this has been going on in a more specific time frame. try to remember any changes you might have made prior to this starting. list any software you might consider potentially contributing.

we're trying to help and we understand your frustration so stop cussing at it and let's see what can be done;)

Ed and GadgetLover, wonder-tech powers activated ...

If it's broke, we'll fix it (or huck it and buy a new one).

he he he

you must have posted your reply right after i started mine. it was amazing how we both went the same direction without knowing it was duplicate advice.

stick with us zippy, if we can't fix it, you'll at least know the money for the new one is well spent.:p

naw really zippy (hope you don't mind i call you that for short), GL and i just seem to meet up like this quite often. nobody's ever come back and yelled at us after we've helped them.

Please help!

I have had a somewhat similar problem under OSX 10.1.2 on my G4 Quicksilver 733MHz.

After I have connected to the internet, used it then disconnected normally, or my machine has been running for a while, when I try to connect to the net my machine will connect to my ISP, but no data can be transferred. I have a packet input/ output meter running that shows that no apps can transfer data in this situation, except Proteus Instant Messenger which eternally tries to connect to the various messaging services it handles (if I launch it), but can only send the connection request.

This situation will continue even if I disconnect, log out and log in as ANY user. ONLY a REBOOT fixes this.

I don't think this is a internal firewall issue, as I have had no problems until about 3-4 weeks ago, and my firewall has been set up for ages and works fine when I can connect.

Please can someone help? I have finally got my machine running perfect except for this huge Hiccup that has come from nowhere. I want to run my machine 24/7 and have it deep sleep when not in use, but this problem means I have to reboot after using the net every couple of times. All help appreciated.

JeffCGD

jeff, please go back and follow the instructions we gave to zippy. ruling out whether it is software or hardware is important. how it works in each system is an important thing to consider.
i assume this problem happens even before you launch PIM. if not , then keep in mind that anything that is continually searching the web is going to bog things down. especially if you are marginal on ram.
also you say this is using 10.1.2. did this problem start with that upgrade or a while afterwards. i tend to agree it is probably not your firewall given what you report. but just to get all the facts, what kind of firewall are you running?
again, report all the info we asked for in previous posts along with anything else that seems relevant. the fact that we are seeing 2 people with a similar problem is actually encouraging. it may give us an opportunity to find similarities.

one other question for both of you - do you use any type of dynamic dns reporting to redirect a static address? or anything else that runs in the background and moniters net connections of any kind - especially from startup?

Yes, if as you say your problems began recently then try to think about what software (including Apple updates) that you have installed -- and/or things you may have done to your system (like changing ownership/permissions). They key is to rule things OUT so we can figure what it may be...

Greetings again helpful folks.

Firstly: This problem now kicks in as soon as I have connected to the net once, then disconnected. Only a reboot allows me to reconnect, with the same result after I disconnect and try to reconnect a second time.

Here is the results of your help suggestions.

1. I am not using an airport, although I believe I did update the drivers/ software for it in the past month.

2. We do have a cordless phone here at my flat. I was unable to find out what it's operating frequency was, but the phone has been here for much longer than this problem, and wasn't a problem before.

3. OS9.2.2 has no similar connection issues. Perfect connections every time (close to the telephone exchange so excellent lines).

4. Setting up and using a new Admin account made no difference. Exactly the same issue occurs, regardless of user.

5. Firewall. My firewall is the default software one that comes as part of OSX. It is configured with the Brickhouse GUI front end and is loaded at startup. It has been in place since well before this problem started occurring

HERE's where things get interesting.

6. In startup items (in Library) I found a folder called "NortonMissedTasks", inside which was a file named NortonMissedTasks and one named startupparameters.plist. These appear to be associated with the auto protect part of the Norton Antivirus version 8 Beta that I trialed at about the same sort of time this problem began, but deleted after I discovered it eating 92% of my clock cycles.

7. On doing a search for anything with Norton in the name, I found a hidden folder in the root trash (how'd it get into root?!) labeled NortonAutoProtect (see attached screenshot: SuspiciousNortonfolder.jpg). I do not know if there is anything inside it. I don't even have the root account enabled, so surely nothing should be getting put into it or it's associated trash.

9 Other system info.
I have attached a number of screenshots detailing my system profile, devices and volumes, and all the apps added or modified during the last 2 months. As you will see, I have no shortage of high performace hardware.

It appears that I will have to post the screenshots one at at time.

I look forward to, and appreciate any help anyone can offer.
Regards,
JeffCGD

Similar, but not identical.
Stumbled on them by accident.

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:33:31 +0000
Subject: Michael Schack modem problem

I too have had this problem and also when my Quicksilver woke from sleep the modem would no longer work (I got a modem error message) but would be OK after a restart. I experienced these problems only after upgrading to 10.1.2 from 10.1.1. From a tip in the MacIntouch archives I tried replacing the two Apple modem scripts in OS X with OS 9 one's but this didn't solve the problem. However, I copied the same scripts from a 10.0 Mac at work to replace those on my Quicksliver at home and now the modem seems fine.

Yours, Matthew

Subject: Re: Michael Schack and Modem OS X Woes

This is a bug people have been reporting on Apple's Discussion Website for some time now. I had the same problem when I was at home on dial up. Apparently the internet connect application is trying to 'wake up' the modem from sleep when it actually isn't asleep. This causes the whole machine to 'halt' for a period of time. You might try leaving the application open all the time, even when not connected. I did that several times and it helped.

Cheers, Matthew

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 12:00:59 +0100 (MET)

since the initial release of Mac OSX 10.0 there is a bug which obviously plagues many OSX users who connect to the Internet via 56K Modem. When trying to connect I get the spinning wheel and jerky cursor. The Mac freezes for a few seconds up to 30 minutes. The problem disappears when doing a re-boot but comes back after a while of using the computer. There is a discussion over at Apple Discussions with more than 210 entries (!) and no one has an idea what is going on or how to fix this. Apple seems to work on a fix but does not publicly acknowledge that there is a problem. The reason why I post this to you is the hope that maybe one of your readers has come across this and has found a work around.

Michael

I'm NOT using the internal modem with dial up. I'm USING a cable modem with OSX's built in PPPoe. Could it still be the same problem dial up users are experiencing?

it apears neither of you are using 56k modems so this would appear to be something different.

Zippy - do you see any smilarities with software (or hardware) with Jeff? We can be about 99% sure now that it is a software problem since Jeff's works in os 9. if you could generate system profiles of "system profile" and new programs added since slightly before this started it would help.

looking at the past 2 months downloads the fisrt suspicious character is Limewire. I have read other reports of this program causing very buggy behavior. it may not be guilty here but it is a good one to rule out next. I am not familiar with the program, but i would check and see if it has any prefs that allow it to do any searching or updating automatically.

jeff - that nav autoprotect would be a good culprit as well but it shouldn't be able to interfere from the trash. still a good ting to get rid of it. the NAV beta is also something we know the 2 of you share. autoprotect is one of those constant background apps and norton is known for shutting down your computer if it doesn't like something.
btw - great way to give your info. very informative and easy to understand. thanks.

for both - again - who is your isp?

Back