This is a major problem!

Hi Ed. Thanks for the suggestion, but I suspect it's not a peripheral check. Lots of people have the same occurance, by the sound of it.

I managed to grab a console except from when I was having the firewall issues (which only compounded this problem) that I think you may find interesting. It may be unrelated, but have a look:

BEGIN EXCERPT

Jan 22 23:04:13 localhost lookupd[211]: Caught SIGHUP - reset

CurrentSet updated to 0 (Home)
WirelessAttach: getInterfaceWithName failed
Jan 22 23:06:17 localhost lookupd[211]: Caught SIGHUP - reset

Jan 22 23:06:29 localhost WindowServer[2406]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0x9c1f for over 1.000000 seconds

Jan 22 23:06:35 localhost WindowServer[2406]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0x9c1f for over 1.000000 seconds

Jan 22 23:07:52 localhost lookupd[211]: Caught SIGHUP - reset

Jan 22 23:07:58 localhost WindowServer[2406]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0xa907 for over 1.000000 seconds

Jan 22 23:08:01 localhost WindowServer[2406]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0xa907 for over 1.000000 seconds

Jan 22 23:08:38 localhost WindowServer[2406]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0x6a0b for over 1.000000 seconds

WirelessAttach: getInterfaceWithName failed
Jan 22 23:17:18 localhost WindowServer[2406]: CGXDisableUpdate: Updates disabled by connection 0x721b for over 1.000000 seconds

END EXCERPT

Does the first block of 3 lines look like an attempt to hook up to a airport network to you? Might be a red herring, might not.

JeffCGD

Reading all these posts from day to day has gotten me thinkin'.

In efforts to troubleshoot and help out I have found one vital task that seems to help in almost any network case.. even back in OS 9 days.

When you run into a problem and cannot connect to the internet/intranet, try creating a new network connection from within the Network pane in System Preferences and see if it's produces the same effect.

Almost every problem I have run into with home networks of friends and family, I have done this in every case it help to some degree to do this.

I found this to be especially helpful in first time installs of DSL via PPPoE. I had to create a new network connection and deleted the older 'Automatic' setting and all was well.

This may not be directly related to the firewall issue, but I would try it anyways next time you run into a wall and can't figure out where to go.. The network setting in System Preferences may hold more information than it is really showing us.

OSX is an absolute f*ckin' piece of sh*t! Ok, so the damn OS doesn't crash! Great! That doesn't amount to much, especially when the piece of sh*t OS can't make and/or keep a network connection and you have to restart to stop the f*ckin' spinning beachball. It couldn't be respectable even if it wanted too! I've been a long time mac fan, that is until OSX came along. It's a f*ckin' joke! PC's are worse! I'm giving up on all technology bullsh*t. My prediction is that man will f*ckin' obliterate himself because he choses to put his faith in falable technology. Also, us PC (personal comfusers) users are the stupid bunch of people I can think of. A computer crashes and we just accept that fact and turn the thing off then back on. A real genius would invent a computer that doesn't crash. Does your car just shut off while driving it. Does your TV? Does anything else you own just stop working and force you to turn it back on? No! Wonder why I'm so mad, because my non crashing OSX computer has just crashed numerous times and doesn't have the ability to make a network connection without problems so I can write this stupid note! This whole internet bullsh*t is at the mercy of the compter and the connection which neither are worth a damn. By the way if you plan on replying with some smartass remark..put it in a tin can and SIT ON IT!

zippy i understand what you are feeling. as a long time mac user i have come close to writing a similar post on several occassions - especially when i was first startin out with it. my thoughts ussually ended with "bfd- they made linux for mac." but frankly iam finding the benefits worth the effort involved in learning what i need to in order to keep up and running. i still don't use the terminal much, but at least i can if i need to. i am still offerring my help, and i am sure others will as well if you just give us the more info we requested.
you might want to try yanking your firewall like jeff did as a start. if that isn't it, try the cut and paste method of giving us your specs and additional info - tell us what suggestions you have tried and failed. if you still want help, this is the only way we can provide it.

take 3 deep breaths, and decide what you want to do. the site will still be here when you are ready. i am sure you are like me, this only upsets you because you want it to work so badly!!

no smart ass replies here, just understanding.

Back