Tiger 10.4.1 and OS 9 with Quark 4.11

We have a mixed enviroment of Windows, Mac OS 10.3x and OS 9.22 machines all connecting to the TIger server. I just installed Tiger and notice some oddd things when I started loading files to the server. If an OS 9 client tries to modify and/or save a Quark 4.11 or 5x document on the Tiger server We get an access denied error. If someone then tries to open the Quark document they get a bad file format error. Quark seems to work fine in OS 10, but we have customers that will not move away from quark 4. I have tried turning off all quark extentions and reloading Quark from scratch with no effect. Any help or suggestions would be appreaciated

Thank You,
------
Robert D. Smith
---------------
Manager of Technical Services
Century Publishing Company
P.O.Box 730
Coeur d' Alene, ID 83816-0730
1-800-824-1806 ext.4235
Fax (208) 765-9003

This seems to be another issue in the long line of issues that Quark seems to have. Some folks have found that working completely off your desktop and copying back to the server when your done seems to relieve some of these issues. Also of note, the CEO of Quark abruptly resigned recently.

Most of my clients have abandoned Quark in favor of InDesign. If your using documents that are saved in Quark 4 format, they should be able to be opened in InDesign without much of any issue. When you move them into Quark 5 and Quark 6, you'll find that only Quark can open the files.

Actually, that is the official workaround for access denied/corrupt files: copy them to your desktop, modify, then copy back. Straight from the mouth of Quark.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Actually, that is the official workaround for access denied/corrupt files: copy them to your desktop, modify, then copy back. Straight from the mouth of Quark.

Whoo! I really go that one then, didn't I?! ;)

Thanks for confirming that this is the best method. It helps eliminate the thought of searching further! :)

Indeed, working on Quark files locally and copying them to and from the network volume is the best way to avoid those issues. Quark's handling of working from network volumes is abysmal, and had been since OS 9.0-9.1.

Indeed, working on Quark files locally and copying them to and from the network volume is the best way to avoid those issues. Quark's handling of working from network volumes is abysmal, and had been since OS 9.0-9.1. I have been pushing many of my clients to move to InDesign as Adobe's support for network volumes is much better, amongst other reasons.

ElDiabloConCaca said:

I am glad i am one of the users with quark (old version like 3.2.2) under mac os 9 and have found no problems what so ever with retreiving files from the 10.3.9 server.

I think i will stick to that old version, upgrading is not everything.

Quark seems not to busy keep up to dateon mac i presume.

Good Luck, Kees

Back