"Tiger" 10.4.1 maybe in May

Well if its true, its good news. Now the question is whether or not I want to update now or wait. I just got Tiger today in the mail, although I wont install it tonight as I have too much to do. Maybe I'll install it on Wednesday, give myself a nice 18th birthday present.

I really do hope this is true, after the networking debacle I am dealing with today, all I can hope for is that they release a fix really fast. It really bums me out to know that Apple released OS X with such network failures.

No fun. It's working great otherwise, though. :\

I recall reading on another rumor site that Apple planned on releasing Tiger with some known benign bugs, with 10.4.1 quickly on its heels. After what I've been reading here, I'm going to wait. Panther (10.3.8) is running fine on my G5 and Powerbook. No need for two potential headaches.

Good luck to all you current Tiger users. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Well, in some ways it makes sense... Let's say you need 1 month of dev time to work out some 'benign' bugs (I personally think there is no such thing) that are low-key. In business terms (money), it makes more sense to RTM /then/, and go straight into the dev fix rather than dev the fix and then RTM when it takes 2-3 weeks from RTM to users getting it. That way you have cash flow and the customer waits a 'reasonable amount of time' for the fix.

I've yet to hit any problems at all after doing a clean install on my G5. Windows printing, file sharing all seem to work as before. One thing I'm happy to report is the resposiveness of the GUI is much better. iLife05, iWork, Xcode all seem to work fine.
But like any new OS, I'm checking for reports of incompatabilites prior to installing any additional software I ran under Panther.

oh i have seen several bugs, like in some instances, external drives leave behind invisable icons when ejected. and there are several spelling mistakes

Well, I've spent the afternoon with the Geniuses at the local Mac Store trying to get Tiger to install. After wiping the drive, zapping pram, reseting firmware still no go. Panther re-installs just fine, thank you. Even if 10.4.1 would solve the problem, I'm not sure how I'd manage to take advantage of it.

Very Frustrated.

Thanks for responding, jwennet.

It's a Ti 800MHz Powerbook with 1GB memory, all else is stock. Was running (and am now re-installing) 10.3.9. I'm giving up on Tiger for now - can't afford to waste more time at present. I guess I should feel some sense of pride having such an unsolvable problem. Strange thing is that Tiger is such a failure while Panther works just fine. The Geniuses recommended replacing non-Apple RAM and/or the disk drive, but both have been working fine for almost 3 years, and Panther likes them. I can't see replacing either just on the chance they may be bad.

I don't understand the ram voodoo myself (technically it just doesn't make sense to me that it would matter) but anecdotally many people seem to have problems installing with 3rd party ram. They then swap back in the apple ram and the install works fine, afterwards they put the old stuff back in. That is why I kept my apple memory around incase I had to do the same. Thankfully my 3rd party memory worked just fine for the install.

So there I gave you both a recommendation and a counterexample -- I guess that cancels me out ;)

My experiance of tiger has been a rocky one, but one that has smoothed.

still, after some time with it now, i realise i don't use any of the new features much at all. i got caught up in a reality distortion field! plus i havent really seen it become lightning fast yet. in fact it seems to chug a bit more now - sure, window resizing is faster, but it seems to use up more resources. if anything, general
system performance is worse.... it seems, actually, less stable as well. not that much, but just enough to notice.

then again, i won't be going back to panther.

what we seem to be forgetting is that panther was 10.3.9. it took 9 updates to get panther rock solid. (how many other system versions have had the full 9 updates before the next version?)

10.4.1 won't fix everything. it'll hoover up some of the bugs, and wont change anything radical. we won't see more options in spotlight or expose get any faster, i dont think, just get rid of the easier to fix, minor bugs. also the bigger ones they've known about for months, but shipped it anyway.

lbrandt said:
Thanks for responding, jwennet.
The Geniuses recommended replacing non-Apple RAM and/or the disk drive, but both have been working fine for almost 3 years, and Panther likes them. I can't see replacing either just on the chance they may be bad.
Didn't they try that themselves? And did you try an upgrade instead of a clean install? I've heard of all the issues with Tiger but I have yet to have any problems.

Definitely do a clean install after backing up the drive if possible. If not possible to back it up, an Archive and Install works just as well. The thing seems to be that quite a few apps that have been updated choke on the older prefs and don't know how to recover (Mail in particular does this to a lot of people). My method of updating is to do a clean install and pull stuff off the backup as I need it, so it helps clean up my drive, and ensure smooth running while not losing any data. :)

Sooo... any news on .1?

Heh, maybe I'll stay with Panther. I mean, it is .9, while Tiger is still quite buggy.

Lurk gets the prize - my undying gratitude; it was the Kingston memory. Its shitty of Apple to change their specs, causing me and others so much frustration.

Anyone have a recommendation for a high-quality memory vendor?

lbrandt said:
Lurk gets the prize - my undying gratitude; it was the Kingston memory. Its shitty of Apple to change their specs, causing me and others so much frustration.

My vote: OWC. While they have their own manufacturing group in China mass-produce uber-cheap bits, the quality is freaking top-notch. Not to mention with a lifetime warranty on every piece of RAM they sell, and in many cases now an /advanced/ lifetime warranty (you don't ship the old RAM back until you get one that works in your hands), and some of the cheapest prices, I haven't gone wrong. Not to mention their warranty covers situations like this (not working after an OS upgrade, as they guarantee it will /beat/ Apple's requirements for RAM).

I have gotten memory for an 8600, a Lombard, a Pismo, and an iceBook from them over the past few years (dating back to 2001, and my most recent purchase was late last year for the Pismo). Not a /single/ failure yet. I even suffered a failure of the 8600's motherboard which killed the RAM controller and some of the RAM, which turned out to be 2 pieces from Kingston. The OWC RAM survived it and is still used. Not too shabby.

lbrandt said:

I've been using PNY Memory from CompUSA with no problems. I've also used the same brand RAM Apple sells with their systems from none other than my local generic PC shop. Nanya. And I also agree with Viro on Crucial.

Back