Tiger bootup trouble.

Asterax

Registered
I installed a 160 (but 128 to an older G3) GB drive into my tower. The install disc recognized that the HD was acceptable for installation. I successfully installed Tiger onto the the HD, but when the installation finished the tower booted back into the install CD. When trying to boot up into Tiger, I get the classic flashing folder with the question mark. Have I installed the HD incorrectly?

Thanks for any help.

... Have I installed the HD incorrectly?

If your G4 tower is older, recheck the jumpers on the HD. Make sure you are set as a master, and not cable select. There may be a simple chart showing the jumper options on the hard drive label.
If you have a newer G4 tower (a mirrored panel where the CD doors are), then the opposite will be true, and the hard drive should be set for cable select.
Test the drive by booting to the Tiger DVD again, and choosing Disk Utility from the Utilities menu from the first installer screen. Click on the drive from the left sidebar, and click the Repair Disk button. This screen should also show you that the drive is recognized as 160GB (actually 149GB, but more than 128GB, anyway).
You mentioned the 128GB on a G3. If you formatted that drive on a different Mac first, you should repartition the drive through the Partition tab. That will make sure there's not a problem with an already-existing partition.

Here's a more concise summary of my issue:

Now when I start up the G3, either the computer recognizes the OS (the HD) and cannot play CDs or the computer does not recognize the OS but cannot boot up into the Install CD (CD-ROM).

The diagram for the CD-ROM drive goes like this:
Pin 1-
CSELECT
Pin 2-
SLAVE
Pin 3-
MASTER

The HD diagram is like this:
Pin 1-
MASTER=ON
SLAVE=OFF
Pin 2-
CSELECT
Pin 3-
<empty>
Pin 4-
SET HD TO 32GBs

Simply put, where do I need to put these stupid jumpers so the computer will simply boot up and play CDs?

Thanks. I know this is easy for some, but I was never taught this stuff... I just learn by making mistakes.

Back