tiger dvd booting problems with b&w g3..

d-sine

Registered
hi all..

i have a problem with installing tiger on a blue & white g3 tower and i was hoping somebody could tell me where i'm being an idiot!!

the machine will boot into 9.2.2 with no problems and will read the dvd when os9 has booted. when i click to restart and the dvd is in the drive then the machine does its *bell" sound as it reboots then just sits there with a black screen - the dvd whirrs but nothing boots at all. the same thing happens if i hold down 'c' to boot from the dvd initially.

the firmware on the g3 has been upgraded and it has 570-odd MB ram and an 80gig hd (virtually empty) installed. i have tried another hard drive and dvd drive but still cannot get any nearer to getting the tiger dvd to boot.

i've had a look around on this forum but can't find a similar problem posed anywhere. can somebody help? please??

thanks,

d-sine

From today's MacFixIt.com:
Computer Won't Start Up from the DVD...

After launching the installer and restarting, if your computer will not boot from the installation DVD, do this:

Shut down your computer and wait for a few seconds. If the DVD was ejected, make sure it is free of smudges, scratches, and fingerprints, and reinsert it.

Press the Power button, and immediately hold down the C key to force the computer to boot from the DVD. If this doesn't work…

Restart your computer, this time holding the Option key. Icons representing each valid startup volume will appear on the screen. Click the icon for the installation DVD, and then click the right arrow. If this doesn't work…

Shut down your computer, and then remove all peripherals, net¬work cables, and anything else attached to your computer except the Apple-supplied keyboard, mouse, and display. (You may also need to remove any third-party video and PCI card(s) and even, in rare cases, extra RAM modules.) Then go back to Step 2 (and Step 3 if necessary). If this doesn't work…

Zap your PRAM. To do this, restart, and immediately hold down the Command, Option, P, and R keys. When you hear the second startup chime, release the keys and immediately press the C key as in Step 2. If this doesn't work…

Contact Apple. Start with the Support section of the Apple Web site; if that does not contain the help you need, contact AppleCare (if applicable) or visit your local Apple Store for assistance.
You should be able to restart from the Tiger Install DVD by the time you finish these steps
Also, are you using the original retail Tiger DVD, or a copy of it?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
From today's MacFixIt.com:

Also, are you using the original retail Tiger DVD, or a copy of it?

its an original tiger - it's labelled mac os x v10.4 retail on the bottom of the outer box.

i've spoken to apple tech support in the uk and they were a bit fathomed by it too :(

thanks for the various pointers above - will give the various things a try and post my result back here in case any other poor g3 user if having a similar prob. thanks once again.

Hehe... yep, that was a serious question -- first thing I do when I get a new OS is to make backup copies for use, and put the originals away. It's a commonly asked question: how to make a copy "bootable." Common symptoms of a failed copy: can't boot from the copy.

At any rate, here's more serious questions ;) : is the DVD drive that you're using the original Apple-supplied DVD drive, or an aftermarket DVD drive, and, if aftermarket, is it recognized by the system without the use of PatchBurn? Is it internal or external; USB or FireWire?

well i'd like to say thank-you very much!! :D

i worked down the list and it was a nope, nope.. yes - resetting with P & R worked like a dream, all of a sudden we got video sync and hey presto!!

i am currently installing tiger and am looking forward to having my new web server/site test-bed up and running anytime soon.

many thanks for all your help - shame apple techs dont get you to try such things on the phone!!

thanks once again,

d-sine.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Hehe... yep, that was a serious question -- first thing I do when I get a new OS is to make backup copies for use, and put the originals away. It's a commonly asked question: how to make a copy "bootable." Common symptoms of a failed copy: can't boot from the copy.

At any rate, here's more serious questions ;) : is the DVD drive that you're using the original Apple-supplied DVD drive, or an aftermarket DVD drive, and, if aftermarket, is it recognized by the system without the use of PatchBurn? Is it internal or external; USB or FireWire?

i've already posted my sincere thanks for helping me with my issue so promptly and quickly, but i thought it best to answer your last question too. i was using the apple dvd-rom drive that came with the machine but i'm currently running it with a sony dw-u10a dvd burner and it seems to be fine. the drive is an internal (ide).

thanks again,

d-sine.

Ah, I'm glad to hear you got it working! I've got a similar machine to yours (only difference is the processor) and I'm interested to know what you think of the "usability" of Tiger... from what I understand, it's gonna be a webserver, so there probably won't be a lot of "using" the computer, but I'd still like to know!

Also, was your Sony recognized and supported by iTunes/iDVD before Tiger, or did you need PatchBurn to get it "recognized?" Also, if you needed to use PatchBurn before, I'd like to hear whether you need it or not in Tiger, as I hear they've added support for a ton of burners without need for 3rd-party utilities...

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Ah, I'm glad to hear you got it working! I've got a similar machine to yours (only difference is the processor) and I'm interested to know what you think of the "usability" of Tiger... from what I understand, it's gonna be a webserver, so there probably won't be a lot of "using" the computer, but I'd still like to know!

Also, was your Sony recognized and supported by iTunes/iDVD before Tiger, or did you need PatchBurn to get it "recognized?" Also, if you needed to use PatchBurn before, I'd like to hear whether you need it or not in Tiger, as I hear they've added support for a ton of burners without need for 3rd-party utilities...

well i never got around to using the sony drive for burning when i had 9.2.2 installed, i just used it as a dumb dvd drive because it was lying around to be honest, sorry. i'm interested in using the burner as a burner with tiger though due to changes etc at my workplace but i've gotta get tiger running first!!

do you have any ideas why after installing tiger (seemingly okay) that when it reboots at the end the g3 then gets an apple on the screen and then changes to a circle with a slash through it (like a "no-entry" sign) - seems a bit like the old "sad mac" syndrome to me, but i havent a clue why!

sorry to be a pain but my mac knowledge is based back in the days of mac lc's and quadra 950's!! :eek:

cheers,

d-sine.

just to say that i now have tiger running like a dream on my b&w g3 - my black box problem turned out to be a dodgy hard drive and i've now got tiger running fine on a new drive.

as for the speed, it runs almost as fast as my win xp box so am quite impressed with things so far - seems about as fast as 9.2.2, if not a little faster.

thanks once again for all your help.

d-sine.

Back