Tiger for New Macs

bobbo

Panther User
Does anyone remember what the timeframe was for people who purchased new macs being able to get Panther for free? I remember something how people who purchased macs after ____ that came with Jaguar could get Panther for free but don't remember what that date was. I'm planning on purchasing an iBook soon, and would prefer to wait until it comes with a free upgrade to 10.4 once it comes out.

Macs purchased after the release date of Panther that shipped with Jaguar got a free ($20 S&H) upgrade to Panther. The offers usually last until all new Mac models actually ship with Tiger, which takes a month or three.

You won't get Tiger for free (expect the same $20 S&H) unless you purchase a new Macintosh after Tiger is released, not when it's announced. Just because Steve Jobs is announcing Tiger soon does not mean that people who purchase Macintoshes around the time of the WWDC get it for free.

From what I am hearing, the release of Tiger is not going to be like last releases (with the announcement in Steve Jobs' keynote followed by the OS release a couple of months later). Apparently the innovations featured in OS 10.4 (some are even referring to it as 10.5) are so advanced that Apple will not be ready to release them this calendar year. It may be March 2005 before Tiger sees GM.

I would have to agree -- Panther itself isn't very old; in fact, I don't know if we could say that the majority of Mac OS X users use Panther right now. I'm the only OS X user I know that's using Panther (well, ok, there's ONE other, but that's because I forced him to upgrade) and I know quite a few OS X users. It would seem a little silly of Apple to release 10.4 so soon -- I think what we'll see at the WWDC is going to be a "sneak preview" of sorts for 10.4.

Well, I think you have to look at it this way...

Since we're hearing some things may be for 10.4 and some for 10.5, I think Apple has come up with just an overall plan to beat M$ to the punch. Depending on the release date of Longhorn is when we'll see 10.4. If Longhorn continues to be Longhaul and is more in the 2007-2008 range, we'll see Tiger have a longer beta process and have more of the advanced features we're anticipating. If M$ bumps a lite version of Longhorn to 2006, I couldn't see Apple releasing Tiger any less than six months before the M$ release, so mid 2005, in that case.

No. I disagree completely. Apple drives innovation. And they are not in the business of competing with Microsoft. Apple is a niche player and innovates independently in its own market. If you look at the developments and features that went in to Jaguar and then Panther in the last few years, that was about the crack development team at Apple building and improving on an amazing OS. Tiger is a continuation of that process. Microsoft is clearly the one peering over the fence to see what kind of dazzling new contraption the neighbor is building. Not the other way around.

I predict that Tiger will be released 'before the end of the year'. But yes, you won't buy a Mac this Summer and get Tiger for free, just as others have mentioned, there's usually a 30d before release time frame max.

cjboffoli said:
No. I disagree completely. Apple drives innovation. And they are not in the business of competing with Microsoft. Apple is a niche player and innovates independently in its own market. If you look at the developments and features that went in to Jaguar and then Panther in the last few years, that was about the crack development team at Apple building and improving on an amazing OS. Tiger is a continuation of that process. Microsoft is clearly the one peering over the fence to see what kind of dazzling new contraption the neighbor is building. Not the other way around.

I agree with you for the most part, but Apple does sometimes peak over the fence themselves. But usually it's something very minor, such as cmd-tab, I know that it existed before by using the dock, but now in Panther it's much like how Windows works, but in a more elegant fashion. Some also may argue that the "Sidebar" new in Panther is somewhat similuar to the sidebar in Windows, however I do believe the "Sidebar" in Panther is way more usuable! Just a couple examples, but like I said in the beginning, I agree with you like 95%.

pwharff, I don't like the way cmd+tab works now, I liked it as it was in Jaguar. I find that having the icons move positions all the time is very hard to follow, cause I can't find and pattern to it.
And when you say 'sidebar', are you talking about the thing in the finder?

For upgrades for 10.1 to 10.2, in the UK at least, the cut off date was the 14th of July 2002 {Jaguar was released on the 24th of August (I think...)} which sucked 'cause I bought my G4 on the 1st of July. Grrr!!

The CMD+Tab is supposed to organize itself in the order of last used, so you only have to CMD+Tab to get to the last app you were using. It seems to work most of the time, but not always.

Yeah, I guess it works that way now I think of it. I still wish there was an option to use the Dock instead though.

ok thanks. looks like ill just have to get an ibook with panther and then save up for tiger later.

The sidebar in Windows is totally different then the sidebar on the Mac. Having actually tested Longhorn Alpha, the sidebar is a repository of information, such as e-mails received, people online, and appointments coming up. The sidebar on the mac gives instant access to the places that the user is most likely to go to. The sidebar is actually more like the source list in iTunes, then it is like the sidebar in Windows. The sidebar in Windows is overly clunky at the moment. In order for you to be able to work well with the windows sidebar, 1024x768 isn't really a possibility, because the sidebar takes up so much of the screen space, that having it up actually causes you to be less productive. The good news though is that the Sidebar in Windows can be set to "hide" which pretty much disables it.

dlloyd said:
Yeah, I guess it works that way now I think of it. I still wish there was an option to use the Dock instead though.

if you use ctrl-F3 then instead of the cmd-tab screen popping up, you go to the dock, and use the left/right arrow keys to navigate between the icons. is that what you were looking for?

Yes, enathan1085, that's what he meant. Only, he wants a syspref to choose that behaviour from Cmd-Tab. And I can only support that demand... As long as I've got my Dock hidden, the current behaviour is just okay. But when my Dock's visible, I'd want it to use the Dock instead. I don't know... Probably Apple just used the "one default for everyone" theme they're using most of the time. Maybe there's even a possibiltiy to turn the Cmd-Tabber off via a "defaults write" we don't know about?

Back