Tiger Gadgets/Widgets

RGrphc2

...InSaNe...
I know Tiger isn't out yet for quite some time. We know of a select few "Gadgets" now for dashboard, Calender, Stickies, etc. but what else will be out there?

I know that Dashboard uses WebCore, the underlying open source layout and scripting engine behind Safari using HTML and CSS — using the same rendering engine as Safari.

Will it be possible to develop Gadgets for Dashboard like Konfab?

I would like to see a Battery monitor Gadget, Weather Gadget, and an Airport Gadget...remove all the clutter from my menu bar. lol

RGrphc2 said:
I would like to see a Battery monitor Gadget, Weather Gadget, and an Airport Gadget...remove all the clutter from my menu bar. lol

I, too would like those widgets. I notice that when you have more things on the menu bar, the slower it gets on start-up.

You can develop gadgets for dashboard. Unlike konfabulator that is limited to javascript (or a language resembling javascript) I'm under the impression that you can use Objective-C and pretty much a lot of other languages to develop gadgets for use with Dashboard.

GroundZeroX said:
wow the gadgets all ready look more handy then the trashy konfabulator

Konfab isn't that bad, its just a memory hog. it also makes my battery life a little less short. Normally i'll bring my laptop with me when i work out (home gym) and my laptop battery lasts with just iTunes and iChat open about 4 hours, yestery i had Konfab running the same thing the battery bar was a little bit more than 3 when i started working out.

I wanna see more game widgets like say tetris, bomberman, snake, bubble bobble.
You know, those really simple games that you can play for a few and than get back to doing whatever it is you do. Unless you are addicted to bubble bobble.

I'd like Tiger widgets to:
  • Play bridge (over the internet, against other players)
  • Play chess (over the internet, against another player)
  • Change monitor resolution
  • Change the desktop picture
  • Check for new eMail

Kap

Widgets! Widgets! ;)

But I don't want 'resolution changing' widgets or any of that stuff, since that's done with menubar items. For me it's:

System Settings and similar: Menu Bar.
Info/web services (like Weather) etc.: Dashboard.

When I feel like playing Reversi or Chess over the internet, I go out and enjoy the sunlight or rain or whatever's on at that particular time.

I would like widgets with small games and probly one with like system specs eg. ram, cpu, harddrive all that stuff would be handy to quickly look at. Changing resolutions and stuff i reckon shouldnt be a widget. Maybe apple could give us a widget making program ?????

Also i wish they would make itunes skinable for the zoomed player because its to big if you ask me i would like something small and compact like the itunes widget but abit smaller...

You mean a 'widget making program' like Dreamweaver or GoLive? ;) ... I think the iTunes widget will be enough for me. I rarely use the small iTunes window...

Yeah well i actually always just close itunes off but i am gettin sick of the interface its gettin a bit boring now. I dont think i would use itunes on the dash board that much. Also the widget making program thing what i meant apple should make it so like we can edit the looks of all the widgets and like sorta make them skinable depending on how hard it would be (meaning how many graphic/files there are). But it would be really good if they made something really really simple to coprehend to make small widgets.

Top widgets for me would be:

CPU monitor
Weather
Timezone clock thingybobs
Gmail Notifier (like you can get on PCs now)
Calendar

....all 'mini, please!

oh yeah and Mini iTunes also...

MacMuppet said:
Top widgets for me would be:

CPU monitor
Weather
Timezone clock thingybobs
Gmail Notifier (like you can get on PCs now)
Calendar

....all 'mini, please!

oh yeah and Mini iTunes also...

Timezone clocks, Calendar and iTunes, all come with Tiger:

dashboardclock_20040628.gif
dashboardcalendar_20040628.gif
dashboarditunes_20040628.gif

And a Gmail notifier already available at The Dashboarder:

Picture1.png

Back