tiger, leopard & Carbon Copy Cloner compatibility

bumble bee

Registered
Hi. I'm having a screen issue with a MacBook Pro that's running Leopard (screen is black). An external screen won't work with it in its current state. I need to bring it in for repair -- about 7 days!

So I want to mirror it to an external drive before then -- against loss of data, etc. Using the Carbon Copy Cloner version for Leopard and target disk mode, I slaved it to a computer running Tiger and made what ought to be a mirror. The data's there, yet I can't boot the drive from a computer running Tiger.*

That might be b/c
1) a drive w/ Leopard OS can't be booted through a computer running Tiger (unlikely, I think)
2) CCC won't enable me to make a bootable drive if I'm mirroring the Leopard OS using Tiger
3) something else !

Any ideas?

(*Unfortunately, I don't have another computer handy that runs Leopard.)

What kind of Mac is running Tiger?

The Leopard install on your MacBook Pro may be system-specific, meaning it will only run and only has support for the MacBook Pro.

Also, if your Tiger computer is PowerPC-based (G3, G4, G5), then no amount of wondering or research is going to get your MacBook Pro Leopard install to boot on that computer.

Buenos dias.

It's a MacBook Pro running Tiger. This is a friend's computer; he uses it professionally and chooses to use Tiger vs. Leopard. He had an idea (not sure if I grasp it 100%), that we could take my Leopard install disk, slip it in his MBP and boot from that ...in case CCC is balking a (not cooperating w/) the transfer for Leopard taking place through a computer running Tiger. This should behave as an all-Leopard transfer then.

How about SuperDuper... would I possibly have any better chance using it, do you know?

Thank you, EDCC ~ any more thoughts??

If your MacBook Pro is Intel based, you MUST format the external drive with the GUID partition scheme before cloning to it if you ever want to boot an Intel Mac from that external drive. If the external drive is formatted for PPC booting (Apple Partition Scheme), the contents of the clone can be cloned back and forth without issue, but can't be booted from the external disk.

I am unsure, but I don't think a MacBook Pro Intel OS can boot a PPC machine ever. If the OS was installed from a Full Mac OSX install disk (Black, not the system specific grey disks), you may get the code for both architectures.

Back