Tiger .Mac Sync (Part 2!)

cbl2001

Registered
Further to my question about .Mac sync and Palm OS......http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45104

As I use Entourage, and have a .Mac account synced to my iPod, mobile, etc, I find it annoying that Entourage and iSync can't sync their address books. As I understand it (which is not too well!) this has to do with iSync being closed to 3rd-party developers, and hence it would be difficult to write an Entourage conduit for iSync.

As Tiger's .Mac sync will be 'open' to developers, does this imply that we may soon see Entourage sync-a-ble to the rest of my devices??

Regards,
Chris
--
www.chrisblunt.com

I sure as hell hope so. I've got a Nokia 6610 sitting here just functioning as a phone. Can you believe that? A phone that does nothing but be a phone... useless! ;)

I've always thought that iSync lacked a little too much in the supported devices area. It'd be nice if 3rd parties could step up and fill in the cracks. I'm interpreting that to mean the same thing you are -- that they'll be able to write drivers for iSync in Tiger much more easily.

It does mean that developers can write their own plugin perse to sync their application with .Mac. But it'll probably be up to Microsoft to do that, so who knows if they'll ever do it or not.

There is a highly rated shareware app available called "Sync Entourage-Address Book" that may well be what you need. Check it out at versiontraker.com. I downloaded it a while back but still haven't gotten round to trying it out. Let me know what you think if you try it...

Gabriel

Back