Tiger Problems

spitty27

Apple Avid
Well, maybe they're not problems, and sorry for the double, wait no, triple post. I think this is actually the most appropriate forum. Well, my copy of tiger came a few hours ago and I've installed and copied back a few things. Three things I've noticed really bug me. One: I moved my Mail.app folder and prefs from tiger (mail 2 prompted for a new account...did it not recognize the old ones?) Then it found all my folders..er...mailboxes in the sidebar, but they were all empty..i had to use the import feature to get some of them back..but i guess mail 2 stores the emails in a whole different architecture..at least i know i still have all the emails in tiger..somewhere..hidden in those mboxes in my library folder.
second, why cant I hide the current application by holding down option and clicking on a different app? so far the only ways ive found to hide an app is command h, using the contextual menu from the apple menubar, and from the dock..the missing "option" option (hehe) is a little frustrating.
thirdly (and again, sorry for the multiple postings) my mx700 doesnt work according to my assignments in the customize panel. ive reinstalled the logitech control center prefpane from logitech.com (version 1.41) and ive assigned each button a different task to my liking, but the system doesnt recognize them..each button is like a regular click except for the right click, however, my middle button DOES act like command click in safari..it opens new tabs (but its a regular clicker in the finder..?) any thoughts/suggestions?

thanks in advance

edit: forgot one more thing...i cant select multiple items using command or shift down...only one at a time..im gonna go run fix permissions and see if that helps any of my problems.

As for the option-click for switch-hiding applications, all is well here, so it may be something specific to your system... try a new user account, and see if it works over there...

The current Logitech drivers may not be Tiger-compatible -- that's the only thing I can think of. There are a lot of updated applications coming out to correct incompatibilities with Tiger -- you may want to check with Logitech and see if their drivers are Tiger-compatible.

As for the Mail thing, yeah, I had the same thing happen. Wouldn't import my accounts, just my emails. I finally broke down and manually entered my accounts again and everything is well.

Yeeaaaaaaah..i created a new admin account and my command/option/shift keys are still giving me trouble with hiding, and selecting multiple items...thats reeeeeeeeeeeally weird..ok, id give up and redo my account because maybe i copied over a bad pref file or something, but on a fresh account? something's wrong...

All mailboxes remains as they were before Tiger = I had no problems.

What kind of install option did U choose?

I did a fresh install of Tiger to a different partition/disk, then an import. Mail mentioned that it would copy over mailbox contents, but not user accounts, so I wasn't really expecting it to... although it would have been nice to at least have another option somewhere to import accounts as well as contents.

I would assume had I done an "Upgrade" or "Archive & Install" that the mailbox contents as well as accounts would have been preserved. But, since I did a fresh install, it only makes sense that the contents would be copied over, and settings would have to be re-entered -- otherwise, I could install a fresh copy on a partition on a machine I don't own, then just "suck" the mail accounts over to the fresh install, ready for my own devious use...

i cant change my 'font smoothing style'. i want it on medium and it wont seem to go there. everything is too bold on automatic.

anyone else having this problem?

[EDIT] nevermind....... light does the trick.

i set it for CRT...i believe this is the least amount of font smoothing you can get.

Looks just like Panther now.

Just did an Archive and Install from Panther to Tiger last night.
(New Zealand) Had to reload the Mouse & Printer/Scanner Drivers but that's all. Opened Mail & it imported all the boxes & messages fine. No problems here. I did run repair permissions first though.

The app hiding thing may have to do with drivers. I notice that in Tiger, USB Overdrive can't map my mouse buttons to use the Option key. Everything else seems to work, but not that. I used to have my middle mouse button set to be option-double-click in the Finder, but now I can't. Option-double-clicking manually still has the same effect, of course, so it's just that my drivers can't do it for some reason. Maybe it's the same with your drivers. Just a guess, though.

thanks for the replies, i guess i forgot to send back that i fixed it. after i installed tiger i ran through my backed up panther system and copied a whole bunch of stuff including system files and prefs so i wouldnt have to redo them. i scanned through the copied items and deleted prefs and files i had absolutely no use for anymore and restarted and everything is back to normal and it all works..shift, command, option, the works. tiger's amazing. the only thing im worried about is spotlight..everyone says it goes fast for them but whenever i make a search i got the spinning spokes for a few seconds and it laods the search dropdown menu slowly. any ideas? did it not index or something? can i re-index? is it possible that its jerky cuz i have a whole 'nother system (i restored my panther system onto an external hd before i formatted and installed tiger - so i have a LOT of duplicate files)...

Back