Tiger requirements

xarcom

Registered
I've been looking at the Tech Spec page of Tiger and I'm a bit puzzled by this:

Requirements

* Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 processor
* Built-in FireWire
* 256MB of RAM
* 3GB of available hard disk space (4GB if you install the developer tools)

Any ideas why ?

Also It seems that Tiger is DVD only:

What’s Included with Tiger
In the Box

* Installation DVD
* Xcode 2 developer tools
* Installation and setup guide
* Welcome to Mac OS X Tiger user guide

We've been discussing this (and other stuff) at the Tiger Developers forum here on macosx.com. There's a thread about the G3s you might want to read. The FW thing was already a requirement of Panther IIRC, although people have enjoyed Panther on machines without FW AFAIK without any problems.

Ancient systems.....please.

Not gonna get many takers if all the USB memory sticks which seem to be the must have user accessory of the moment won't work. Don't find many firewire digital still cameras or card readers either.

If this is accurate it could well be another case of Apple aiming at its foot and pulling the trigger.

Well USB is hardly an ancient system and I cannot see what older systems Apple would weed out by this. The beige G3s did not have built in USB, which stopped people trying to run an OS whihc was a bit much for the systems, but the B/W ones have firewire so these would still be able to run the new OS?

Therefore I assume (maybe wrongly) that USB support under Tiger is not as good as under previous releases. Certainly from what I have seen of Tiger Apple appear to have tinker with some of the underlying standards, particularly networking which have resulted in problems with connectivity especially cross platform.

USB will still be supported and usable, but built in firewire will be required for the install, which basically means that the BW G3s (Yosemites) will be the oldest system that will be supported. maybe with XPostFacto soon you will be able to install on older systems.

Just to _AGAIN_ clear this up: The wording of this (built-in FW) is meant to define the age of machines supported. Officially, that makes the B/W G3s the oldest supported hardware. iMacs and iBooks with USB but without FW aren't supported. It might run, but Apple doesn't _say_ it does.
In absolutely NO way does "built-in FW" mean that the USB-code has been, what, "made worse"? Could I, using the same kind of logic, assume that also the Ethernet ports are now equipped with lesser drivers? That's just (as you suspected in your last post) a wrong assumption.

If we see _anything_ from Apple, it's _more_ support for USB and USB 2.0 (the iPods now don't come with FW connectors for example).

The requirements for the new iChat suck;

1GHz G4, dual 800 MHz G4 or any G5 for 4 person Video conference

i have ichat running on the power created by a small pidgeon flying circles around a magnet with a copper collar on it's neck.

Don't think that's gonna cut it this time Pengu.... The new iChat looks fairly complex when you start a 4 way video chat. Real-time rendered reflections, not to mention an obnoxiously massive amount of bandwidth..... yeaaaa, crap like that lol

Would that be soldering the pins from a parallel cable onto little straps on their ankles? or should i attach a Bluetooth/WiFi module to each one and do it "on the fly", quite literally?

Back on topic: Until yesterday, I though I could _theoretically_ use the feature. It wasn't as if Steve was especially advertising the need for such a highend machine. I guess it _might_ just run on my PowerBook, but it would probably stutter and crash or something...? Well: Right now I'm on limited bandwidth anyway and I still haven't bought an iSight, so I don't really care. ;) (Where's the integrated iSight in PowerBooks? I think they _should_ do that if they want more people to use iChat AV in video mode...)

fryke said:
(Where's the integrated iSight in PowerBooks? I think they _should_ do that if they want more people to use iChat AV in video mode...)
I don't see Apple integrating a webcam - goes against the whole "beauty through minimalism" thing they've got going. Plus, they've already got the iSight.

Has Apple ever integrated a webcam into their laptops? The only laptops I've ever noticed with this feature are the old Sony Vaios (and these sucked because of crappy videoconferencing software).

Maybe they'll put such a webcam in the new 10" PBs? ;)

Kap

You mean the Sony VAIO Apple PowerBooks then? ;) ... Well: I don't think it's really that important to integrate such a thing in a notebook. Only if they can do it as unobstrusive as can get. (That'd have to be a _really_ small camera...) So maybe they better don't.
What's sad, though, is that like this, people who have _bought_ an iSight for, say, their iBook G3/800, who _can_ use the video feature on Mac OS X 10.3, are maybe held back from upgrading to Tiger, because it might actually render the iSight useless... Maybe that's not the way to go. Maybe I just misunderstand and simple videoconferencing, although through H.264 which needs more processing power per se, would still work...

when tiger was previewed last year and till recently it included dvd drive (whether a combo or superdrive) in the req. listings and now it does not say that. this is meant to suit those few with a firewire mac but no dvd drive.

One of the other things that caught my eye was "Note: Mac OS X does not support processor upgrade cards..." I think that was pretty much standard statement Apple has used for the upgrades in the past. Just to cover themselves from any liablity.

But is there anyone running Tiger *NOW* on any of the sonnet cards that has had success?

Back