Time Capsule Opinions?

Harvey

Registered
Hello everyone,

Our house has 2 macs. A macbook pro and a macbook. We use a airmac express for wireless over our cable modem, and play music from itunes through that wireless connection to the speakers frequently. Using the same bandwidth we also have a Wii.

We don't backup regularly enough... and we need to! So I'm thinking about getting a 500GB Time Capsule.

Can I get any opinions about this product and how it would work out for us?

I just want to be able to backup our computers regularly without thinking about it... That's all!

Thanks for any advice

- Harvey

It would work perfectly, as long as you don't have too many files to backup. I usually recommend double the harddrive-space used for each user. So if you currently have 60 GB on your harddrive, I'd recommend 120 GB for that user. 500 GB should be enough for a while, though, if each of you don't have more than 150 GB of data.

Thanks guys,

So it seems like you can specify which files to backup on the Time Capusle?

Our home directories would be the main thing we would want to back up... documents, music, movies, pictures, just those simple things.

We do all our email online via gmail so wouldn't need to dig around for mail files at the moment...

Is there anything else I should be -sure- to be backing up that I might be forgetting?

Sounds like this is pretty straightforward! Thanks!

I would go ahead and let it back up everything (which is the default setting for Time Machine), and 500GB should be enough for two computers (unless you have hard drives bigger than 250GB in those laptops).

I would recommend doing the first backup to the Time Capsule over ethernet, though, as a wireless backup could take days (no joke!). After the initial backup over ethernet, then wireless backups should be fine (and they're done automatically -- no user intervention needed).

Also, the Time Capsule would probably replace your current AirPort Extreme, as the Time Capsule is both a backup device and a wireless router.

Back