Time & Date problems. Please help

strewth101

Registered
Dear all.

I'm running OSX 10.5.8 on a G4 iBook. Somehow my Time & Date files got corrupted which prevented me from getting on to the internet. When I discovered the problem, I threw them away, thinking a restart would create them again. I was wrong.

Now my computer doesn't know what time or year it is, causing various problems. I don't have back-up 10.5 disks to extract the time & date package.

Can I download a replacement anywhere?

Or can someone email the files to me? I don't know what they're called but, if you search time and date, there are only two (and please tell me what folders they're in too).

Please help! :(

YOU HAVE "TIME MACHINE" right --go back in time to date when all was okay find the date & time -highlite it and drop down to the restore button. Takes a few secs. to do. You may have to restore something else instead. give it a try and good luck.
Dickster-------------

Hi Dickster. I would if I could.The computer's a bit slow with Time Machine turned on... so I turned it off. (Doh!).

Any other ideas?

strewth101 -
Where's your Leopard installer DVD?

I'm going to guess that you have other problems, as a corrupted Date and Time pref pane is unlikely to prevent internet connection by itself. As you have removed more than one file, and the Date and Time pref pane is only one, not two files - AND, you shouldn't be moving anything out of your System/Library - what was the second file that you deleted?
Next step? Reinstall Leopard, using the Archive and Install option.
Hence, the need for the installer DVD. You did have that disk, so you now need to find it again.

Hi DeltaMac. I bought the iBook second hand so it didn't come with disks.

I have another computer, an eMac, running 10.4.11. I just copied the Date and Time pref pane and put it in system/library/prefernce panes on the iBook and restarted it. It won't let me open the clock but it has let me set the date and time. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Ha! Success. Main problem was certificates for websites didn't exist yet (my date was stuck in 1970, weirdly).

All back to normal except the clock has disappeared. I'll just look at my watch instead.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Back