Time Machine app won't start

Matsaki

Registered
My Time Machine will not start at all (for restoring). No errors in the Console. I tried reinstalled it with Pacifist. I repaired the permissions. I tried delete all prefs (as I don't know the exact plist for this app.) and caches.

It's working when I log in to another account. Any ideas?

My Time Machine will not start at all (for restoring). No errors in the Console. I tried reinstalled it with Pacifist. I repaired the permissions. I tried delete all prefs (as I don't know the exact plist for this app.) and caches.

It's working when I log in to another account. Any ideas?

Did you first use Disk Utility to repair that disk? Do you exclude that disk in System Preferences->Time Machine, Options tag?

The preference file for Time Machine is at Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/By Host/com.apple.TimeMachine.0017f2cbfb56.plist .

Sorry I don't follow you? Why should I repair the external harddrive with the backups when Time Machine app is working ok with my test user account? Or did I misunderstand your point?

... Why should I repair the external harddrive with the backups ...

Why not repair?
You may find (and fix) some problem with your disk when you do that.

The second part of that post (location of the .plist) is likely more relevant.

Check system preferences/Time Machine ->options and make sure it is not set to exclude backing up your user account.

I did a repair of the external disk. I tried to open Time Machine in safe mode. Now when I tried to open Time Machine in my other (test) account, it would not open there either.

I have checked permissions and they are set to root:wheel 755 which seems to be right. I don't have any TimeMachine plist at all as above at
Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/By Host/com.apple.TimeMachine.0017f2cbfb56.plist .

Back