Time Machine backups

nemac

Registered
I know there is not much as far as telling time machine what folders to backup, but how can you specify to restore files that are contained inside of a database? I know that Mysql holds the database files in "/usr/local/mysql/data/dbname". However I could not navigate to that folder location while in time machine. I have recovered my data by removing the new SSD and installing the original HD but this may come up again and I just want to be prepared. While it was not hard to do what I didi, you should be able to use Time Machine backups to restore any file. I happen to backup my machine religiously twice a week.

TIA

Javier

First before you start download the free application TinkerTool or use the Terminal code and then open a folder through the Finder then invoke Time Machine and go back in time to that Finder window (that you have open to that database). Then invoke to hide the hidden files again when you get your data from the past.

... how can you specify to restore files that are contained inside of a database?

I'm not sure I follow. To Time Machine, your database is one, single file. You can restore it in its entirety - that's it. If you're looking for finer control to get at items inside the database, I believe you will have to look for separate MySQL tools - or roll your own.

Back