Time Machine on M1 Ventura not recognizing External HD to back up

rickself

Registered
Howdy -
I have a 2020 Mac Mini M1 Ventura 13.4.1, connected to a partitioned 2TB OWC miniStack USB 3 hard drive.
Partitioned into 2-1TB partitions.
Formatted as Journaled HFS+, GPT.
Nowhere in the documentation does Apple say what format Time Machine needs for external USB 3 hard drives.
Anybody have clues as to which format type these partitions need to be in order for Time Machine to even recognize them.
Thank you!

I do believe that when you select a partition (or drive) for Time Machine to use for the first time, it will format the drive first to its liking before beginning the backup.

Hey Cheryl - the Time machine volume is created no problem and I can back up the startup volume. It just doesn't recognize my work drives on a partitioned USB 3 drive. Maybe I'll contact OWC and see how the drive was formatted out of their plant to make it basically plug n play for Mac and Windows.

You could mount that external onto your Desktop because I can do a Get Info' by right clicking on the whole hard external and see the format in Get Info pop-up!

The external mounts just fine. I use it all day long for my work files. But when I launch Time machine, it doesn't back the external up. Let alone even recognize that it's there.

Did you want to back up your external or your start up drive? It can only do one. If you want to back up a different drive, you have to stop the one that it is set for before selecting a new drive.
Or is that what you are trying to do and are getting stuck?

I wound up adding the external to the exclude list and then removed it from the exclude list. And then it backed it up. Go figure.
Thanks for the help and support!!

This tells me you used a desktop hard drive that has built in energy saver system in it! You should have used a NAS style hard drive that doesn't sleep!

Back