Time Machine only shows me two days of Backup.

ChangeAgent

Registered
My MBP (16’ M1) has a hardwired connection to my local network and in that network is a Mac Mini that has an external SSD disk attached to it that is specifically dedicated to Time Machine (the SSD). It has worked fine for years. Recently I needed a backup of a preference file in the OS, and I discovered that TM only shows me the last two days of backups even though it holds months of stuff.

Now it could be that it has to do with a recent system upgrade (OS 12 > OS13) I made on all machines, but I am not sure. However, this is the only significant thing I did lately. And btw after this upgrade, I also got problems with a hub that worked fine for a long time. But that is another issue.

Entering TM you might or might not see the whole timeline. If it shows the whole timeline all the way back- but clicking on any date in the past results in usually (see also below) nothing happening.

I did do a “verify backups” on it and found no problems. I ran First Aid on the backup disk, and all is well according to First Aid. If I open TM and key in “Apple-Shift-C” I sometimes can access the whole history. Even though it switches to a for me strange window (not the window I had open but a complete other one) and so you need to navigate back to where you had been. This works sometimes and sometimes not.

And as an extra bonus, my second MBP has the same problem. And for correctness the Mac Mini does not.

The internet has given me solutions so far. Any idea anybody?

Time Machine is basic backup! with almost every version of program in many version of Mac OS and even Mac OS X so at every upgrade Time Machine resets like it is new for the new version of Mac OS!

However I went with a shareware called Carbon Copy Cloner that in my opinion way more advanced!

Time Machine is basic backup! with almost every version of program in many version of Mac OS and even Mac OS X so at every upgrade Time Machine resets like it is new for the new version of Mac OS!

However I went with a shareware called Carbon Copy Cloner that in my opinion way more advanced!
Thanks, I have been using TM since it came out. I have never ever seen this before. So are you sure? Where did you get this information?

And on my Mac Mini (Same OS, same upgrade) all is well, months of backups.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have been using TM since it came out. I have never ever seen this before. So are you sure? Where did you get this information?

Does it depend on the types of files that you are searching ? Or a disk issue that forced an update of the back-up base ?

It's been that way sense the beginning! Every Mac OS X upgrade and the new operating system Time Machine would start over again! Fr this very reason I went to shareware that''s more advanced and updates about 2-3 days after a Mac OS X upgrade!

It's been that way sense the beginning! Every Mac OS X upgrade and the new operating system Time Machine would start over again! Fr this very reason I went to shareware that''s more advanced and updates about 2-3 days after a Mac OS X upgrade!
As said my MM has not done it. I see months of backups and can access them. Plus I did the upgrade on all machines about 10 days ago, and every day i go in to TM I only see two days. If you where correct I should see 10 days by now.
What shareware are talking about?

As said my MM has not done it. I see months of backups and can access them. Plus I did the upgrade on all machines about 10 days ago, and every day i go in to TM I only see two days. If you where correct I should see 10 days by now.
What shareware are talking about?
Well in M1-2-3 era you need a Universal or pure silicon application like my favorite Carbon Copy Cloner or some like SuperDuper!

Last edited:
Back